Author Topic: 17 foot framework  (Read 884 times)

Pyro

17 foot framework
« on: September 13, 2009, 04:42:59 AM »
If we are on track with these measurements and my math is close...
The stator bracket for a 17 footer is in progress.  This one probably won't see the wind until the tens are up but I like fabricating and we have steel.

The rotors are 18in OD.  The stator is 22 in OD leaving a 2" diameter difference on each side.  Using 5/8" allthread, one inch in will give us 11/16 from the edge of the rotor and 11/16 from the edge of the stator.  Will our fiber glass reinforced stator be happy with this?

Taking this a little further, we would like to throw in a couple of snags.  Our magnet rotors are not made yet so sizing isn't a problem.  The 17 footer coils look pretty cramped in the stator.  We are wondering about enlarging rotors to 18.5" or so and all related measurements as well.  But this would close the stator mount bolt clearances to 7/16 from the magnet rotors.  Do these two ideas (both the measurements of the stator mount and the location of the magnets via a larger rotor) sound feasible?

and can anyone tell us how to post a picture on this site?  We would love to have you see them.

Bob
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 04:42:59 AM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Re: 17 foot framework
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 10:06:17 AM »
Hi Bob ~

I'm sure you could do all that/open up a touch more space in the stator although as it is, with 2 strands of #14 wire it fits nicely I think.  Keep in mind my original 17' machine had 16" rotors, we wound the coils with 2 strands of #15 (and I had a stator burnout) but there were other issues that led up to that too....

So .. yes, it sounds feasible and it might be an improvement.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 10:06:17 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: 17 foot framework
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 11:46:45 AM »
Wow, that's like some cell-phone plans: One for yourself and 5 friends for free!

There are glitches in the way the forum software works, so getting your files posted is tricky.  I found and posted this one in for you.  Normally you should be able to do so yourself, but the system is confusing.

You did upload the picture correctly, but it shows up in your list like "." and only after you post other pictures will they show up in "Your Photo Uploads" with their own file name in the list.  Go figure.  Later it gets worse because they all get listed  in random order so if you upload enough (like I have) you'll have to scan up and down for a while to find the new picture.

Your picture is sized smaller than the 640x480 limit and the file is less than 150 KB, so it follows the rules just fine.

Thank you!

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 11:46:45 AM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca