Author Topic: FURLING  (Read 1745 times)

(unknown)

FURLING
« on: February 04, 2010, 04:26:08 PM »
Hi About furling,why all the maths to work out tail fin furling angles.cant u just hinge the tail fin and use a sat jack arm, to adjust the angle while in flight in relation to /charge /wind speed/noise/ect.run the two wire down the pole for the desired efect.Anybody tried this yet.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 04:26:08 PM by (unknown) »

brokengun

Re: FURLING
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 05:02:28 PM »
By hinging the tail at an angle, there must be enough thrust on the turbine to actually lift up the tail a small amount (because of gravity). If you notice when turbines are fully furled their tails point up at a funny angle, that's because they are pushing pushed up by the moment of the turbine and held up by the wind which is going by the tail vane.

The math can be difficult and from what I hear it doesn't give very predictable results for homebrew turbines sometimes. The variables are pretty hard to control from turbine to turbine though, even given the same design.

I would definitely say that the main reason for having a furling setup this way is simplicity. Once it works, it doesn't use any additional power or electrical control system, it keeps the turbine safe and is pretty cost effective.

However, there are turbines that use a sort of jack arm to furl. Many air compressing wind turbines used by the amish do just that. You can see a few of them on this site: http://airliftech.com/

Once there is enough pressure built up it trips a valve which pressurizes the arm and furls the mill. Pretty cool really.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 05:02:28 PM by brokengun »

carbethhutter

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 05:17:39 PM »
Hi i dont mean the arm. i mean the vane ok ,i am a scot the {fin is a vane to me }not the arm.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 05:17:39 PM by carbethhutter »

carbethhutter

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 05:36:02 PM »
Hi A sat arm is elect/ worm drive.none of your fancy stuff.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 05:36:02 PM by carbethhutter »