Author Topic: magnetic field effect from crowding (smaller dia)  (Read 1068 times)

Pebbles

magnetic field effect from crowding (smaller dia)
« on: April 07, 2010, 07:32:47 PM »
I am going with a 10 foot basic design but i have 2 cast iron plates which are 8 inches in dia. X 5/8" thk which i would like to utilize in it. I have 24 1x2 mags and can get them on but it is really tight , coils will be the same. I have made 2 mag templates, one with 12 spaces for 9 coils and one with 8 for 6 coils. My question is .. if i crowd the 12/9 in will it effect the operation of the magnetic induction or should i drop it down to the 8/6 configuration? Will crowding cause overheating? Should i just downgrade to 8/6 and degrade blades to 8 ft?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 07:32:47 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: magnetic fiel
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 11:54:53 PM »
8 inch diameter is really small for 12 of those magnets. If you crowd the magnets you loose a large amount of winding space and you will have to use much thinner wire. You will also get more magnetic flux leakage but the main issue is loss of winding space.

Your quantity of magnet even on larger discs will only support a 10ft prop in low winds.

With your crowded magnets I don't think you can hope to use more than 8ft. The 8ft will be faster and you can use less turns, this will let you keep slightly thicker wire.

You will loose out on low wind capture by going from 10ft to 8ft but unless you are in a very low wind site I doubt that you can control it at 10ft unless you do something very drastic to the furling. Unless you have some overriding reason to use those discs I think you are making a lot of trouble for yourself.

8 magnet 6 coil works fine on 8" discs but I have that arrangement on a 6ft prop with mppt and it is at the low end of desirable efficiency for that application, it may just about take 7ft without mppt.

You save yourself the cost of 8 magnets and produce a slightly de-rated machine. If you haven't bought the magnets then I would go for 8 pole but I wouldn't risk it at over 7ft except in a very low wind area and with precise furling.

Flux

« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 11:54:53 PM by Flux »

Pebbles

Re: magnetic fiel
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 03:55:29 PM »
Thx Flux ..very helpful answer. Think i will get a couple 12 inch plates and use the 8 inch ones for messing with a smaller mill. I have some magnets to play with but would rather go with a tried and true i think with the 24 1x2s . Thx again

Pebbles
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 03:55:29 PM by Pebbles »