Author Topic: Pedal generator - 300 watts :-)  (Read 12657 times)

gotwind2

• ben[at]gotwind.org
    • Gotwind - The Renewable Energy Resource
Pedal generator - 300 watts :-)
« on: April 10, 2010, 02:06:40 PM »
A new forum, a new start  ;)
Today I have been playing with the 3 phase brushless motors used in electric bicycles.
China are reportedly manufacturing 12 million of this type of motors per year, so there should be a lot more around soon on the likes of ebay/scrap e.t.c
They are just about perfect as wind turbine alternator donors, brushless, Neo magnets, low rpm, typically 1 volt per 9rpm (on the 48v versions).

I managed to generate 300 watts via pedal power :D with a 24v unit and a gear ratio of 3.4:1
That was hard going, 100 watts was sustained for 15 minutes, then I was knackered.

Cogging was non existent as the stator core teeth are skewed - On an electric bike, freewheeling needs to be as smooth as possible, another advantage for wind power useage.

Well, 299 watts peak.

zap

• There's an app for that
Re: Pedal generator - 300 watts :-)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 04:01:50 PM »
Nice Ben.
Do you know the make and model of the hub?

I have a small one still on a Tres Terra Europa but I'm pretty sure it's a geared hub w/freewheel so I'd need to hack it to get regen.

I'm jealous of the 299 watts... a database of suitable hub motors would be nice.

gotwind2

• ben[at]gotwind.org
    • Gotwind - The Renewable Energy Resource
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 04:46:01 PM »
Hi Zap.
Make and model unknown I'm afraid, certainly Chinese in origin judging by the stickers, it is stamped as 24v, 500w - It was a U.K. eBay purchase.
I agree a database of models versus performance would be great, they certainly far out perform the Ametek motors that have become almost extinct and way over priced now.
I paid £100 ($175) for this hub motor and wheel + an unneeded front wheel, which I will sell on.

These motors would make a very nice wind turbine alternator, my only concern is the slightly light duty axle mount, when only supported on one side only.
I know a couple of guys running such units without a problem so far.

Make sure they are of the larger diameter ungeared type, the smaller diameter, fatter hub motors utilise planetry gears that add friction, as you alluded to.

REdiculous

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 07:23:33 PM »
What size blades would you use if you were gonna run it as a 'mill? What size would you use for a 250w hub motor? Would using more but shorter blades work? Just curious..maybe an extra long fork could work to support the other side?

I was just thinking about getting a couple of these to play with too. The more I think about it the more I want to rip my trailer apart so I can use the treadmill parts for something that can use the power. One of these hub motors would cut out the external motor and the gearing so I'd have a much nicer looking trailer for it.

Think they could be made to work for water too?..for a day/week/month?

300w is awesome!...I say when you're doing the work you should always round up!  8)
☣☠☢

Sr WiNdTeCh

• nothing
    • My SeTuP
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 08:36:52 PM »
<<<------- cLiCk HeRe FoR mY sEtUp!

zap

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 09:07:17 PM »

I'm selling this motor.... and everything I have so far...

Everything in that system or everything for a bike motor kit?

How much?

Why not list it in Classifieds?

Why are you selling?

Sr WiNdTeCh

• nothing
    • My SeTuP
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 07:26:03 PM »
In either of those links I believe I said why... maybe not... can't remember. I'm selling it because my city wont let me put it up, and I dont plan on moving anytime soon....

I'm selling the Motor, Blade brackets I've made,6 Air X Blades, all the bolts for both, 3phase rectifier w/ heatsink, the tap for that matches the threads on it.. (if you look at the golden motor link it should be in there) , Total with shipping on the items I paid I'm looking at around... uum... let me tally it up... 40$... Damn... Didn't realize that till now... I'd say 250$ (don't know what shipping would be, I got ripped and paid 75$ just to ship that motor..golden motor's shipping is a joke) I'm not actively selling it, just if someone want's it, and this looked like a good thread to randomly throw that out there...  :) I thought about Ebay, but I may throw it in the classifieds this weekend and let it sit for a month first, I'll have to get pictures too... haven't done that yet..

I have 2 Neo Ring magnets also, was going to use them as the frictionless yaw and to take out vibrations as it was going to be mounted on a pole through my garage roof but mounted in the garage floor... anyways... not sure if I want to sell them... depends
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 07:31:06 PM by Sr WiNdTeCh »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 04:20:32 PM »
In either of those links I believe I said why... maybe not... can't remember. I'm selling it because my city wont let me put it up, and I dont plan on moving anytime soon....

I'm selling the Motor, Blade brackets I've made,6 Air X Blades, all the bolts for both, 3phase rectifier w/ heatsink, the tap for that matches the threads on it.. (if you look at the golden motor link it should be in there) , Total with shipping on the items I paid I'm looking at around... uum... let me tally it up... 40$... Damn... Didn't realize that till now... I'd say 250$ (don't know what shipping would be, I got ripped and paid 75$ just to ship that motor..golden motor's shipping is a joke) I'm not actively selling it, just if someone want's it, and this looked like a good thread to randomly throw that out there...  :) I thought about Ebay, but I may throw it in the classifieds this weekend and let it sit for a month first, I'll have to get pictures too... haven't done that yet..

... not sure if I want to sell them... depends
If you do decide and ZAP hasn't scooped me on this... let me know...
I have an e-bike that could use the hub motor.

Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Sr WiNdTeCh

• nothing
    • My SeTuP
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 05:00:55 PM »
Will do!

zap

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 09:29:49 PM »
If you do decide and ZAP hasn't scooped me on this... let me know...
I have an e-bike that could use the hub motor.

What kind of size are you looking for Bruce?

There are some good deals on ES now and then.
Check out both the "New" and "Used" section... at the bottom of their home page.
A used Wilderness Energy 26" kit minus batteries sold recently for $110... not bad AFAIC

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 11:38:32 AM »
ZAP;
 Still playing with numbers for next trike, but size wise 1k unit is going to be a good start.
That Plus a good 1 lunger Diesel would keep batteries to a minimum. Batteries would be set for 26 mile trip (twice distance to work).

Our current trike, will need to find the link or post pic again, is nice, but the 600watt ac unit is limited in speed and a 1k watt unit will go where the 600 watt unit is with little changes.
In the back there's a separate area that would certainly handle a little 1/2Hp gas powered motor along with a very small gen for battery recharge if necessary.
This area was built for just the purpose of extra long distance travel devices. The company even built one with a H2 generator just for proof of concept.

Cheers;
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard