Author Topic: Battery containers/boxes  (Read 1167 times)

(unknown)

Battery containers/boxes
« on: October 02, 2004, 03:17:14 PM »
Hi folks,

Newbie here ... found your website about a month ago, have been here many times since.  This place is great.

I would like to build some of the stuff you folks have built, but I am a complete newby and want some advice.  I have ventured zilch into any of this so far ... except for a solar powered trickle charger that keeps my battery alive here in Canada during the winter.

My first question is about batteries.  If I were to build a container/building for for them - what advice would you give?

I thought about buying a typical storage shed, insulating it, putting in some shelving, to hold all of the batteries.  I also thought ... a firealarm would be good too since somebody mentioned a battery fire.  I even thought about some sort of alarm system that could turn off all of the juice if a wire or set/string of wires got too hot.  Has anybody ever done anything like this?  If so ... what kind of sensors would you recommend?

Serge the utter newbie

« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 03:17:14 PM by (unknown) »

Zero

Re: Battery containers/boxes
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 04:18:57 PM »
Hi Serge,

I've always used old chest freezers for battery containers, they're free and insulated.

Zero
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 04:18:57 PM by (unknown) »

nothing to lose

Re: Battery containers/boxes
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 11:32:33 PM »
 "I even thought about some sort of alarm system that could turn off all of the juice if a wire or set/string of wires got too hot."

Use fuses! The alarm to let you know there is a problem will be the power goes off! :)

But everything is nice and safe!!

I aggree, freezers or  refrigerators are ready made battery boxes. Get an old non-working one free. Lay it on it's back, doors up, sit batteries in, close doors.

I'll be using an old chest freezer in the back of a Box Van for alot of batteries myself. I will put a vent pipe to the outside of the truck to get rid of any gasses. Drill a couple holes for wires and install gromets or plastic pipe to protect my wires from cuts. I may bolt it to the floor, I may not.

In this case I am planing to charge batteries while I drive and use a larger inverter while camping. When the truck is sitting at home I will connect the battery bank to my other banks also to encrease the storage at home and to keep them charged.

I was actually trying to decide how to build a box and mounts for them so they would be safe while driving, then I realized an old freezer will work just as well for mobile use as stationairy and I need all the same things.  Keep batts. cool in summer, warm in winter, prevent damage, protect the wiring, etc...

And once compresser and other un-needed items are removed an old freezer should not be all that heavy compared to a heavy wood or metal box to do the same thing.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 11:32:33 PM by (unknown) »