Author Topic: Battery Temperture sensor  (Read 1198 times)

kenputer

Battery Temperture sensor
« on: November 13, 2009, 03:48:09 AM »
I have a c-40 solar controller with BTS so in the cold weather the battery voltage when charging raises to 15 volts which in turn shuts my inverter down on high voltage.

is this something I have to live with because batteries are in a cold area or do I have to change charge settings on the controller which I have at 14.4 for bulk and 13.5 float. These are 6 golf cart220 amphr batteries wired for 12 volt.

Thanks

Ken
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 03:48:09 AM by (unknown) »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Battery Temperture sensor
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 08:06:53 AM »
A problem I've had for a while too.  My batts are in a cabinet outside and when it's below freezing I run into the over-voltage problem, too.

One solution available is to adjust the C40's bulk and float voltages lower, to say 14v/13v for the rest of the winter.  On really cold days set it lower.  You then need to be sure you equalize every month.  When you do equalize you need to disconnect the inverter.

The other thing to do is to disconnect the temp sensor altogether.  They you're stuck turning the little knobs on a very regular basis!

One thing that should reduce your worry - cold batteries do not decay and sulfate as quickly as warm ones, so you can live with partial recharges for longer without permanent damage.  But the equalization become more necessary to make up for it, or else what you think is an 80% charge will only return 60% of the Amp-hours that you expect, and it will get worse the longer you let it.

Last week was really cold here, and very windy.  I ended up with my C40 turned down to 27v/26v so that the temp-compensated voltages wouldn't go over 28.2v.  That's the upper limit of my sealed AGM batteries.  I can't equalize them and they can't be allowed to vent so I'm stuck with even lower voltages than you have.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 08:06:53 AM by (unknown) »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 09:37:46 AM »
Insulate the battery box and reduce (but don't totally eliminate) the ventilation in the winter.

Batteries self-heat when charging or discharging, and have a lot of thermal mass in between.  If your battery box has enough insulation it should stay adequately warm to keep the sensor from raising the voltage to the point of cutting out the inverter.

Adjustable vents should let you leave the insulation in for summer.  Just cut the venting way back in winter.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:37:46 AM by (unknown) »

GeeWiz

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 06:13:13 PM »
We here in BC are in the middle of a cold spell.  It's down to about -7c (or 26f).  My battery bank is new this year (8 trojan L16s) and I'm trying to take care of it.

I'm not sure I understand how the cold affects things like charging and equalization and volts.

Normally I charge to about 14.4 volts and then reduce the amps.

However in the cold, I tend to let the volts go up a little higher 14.8 before I reduce the amps.

Can anyone pass me a pointer to any tips on Cold and battery charging?

Thanks

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 06:13:13 PM by (unknown) »