Author Topic: Battery Disconnects and fuses  (Read 888 times)

Peppyy

Battery Disconnects and fuses
« on: May 22, 2005, 12:23:32 AM »
I have been looking for a reasonable battery disconnect and I was wondering if something like the terminal disconnects would carry enough current?

IMMOBOLIZER SWITCH    Item number: 7974483561   

I thought it might be nice to use these for pairs or groups of batteries but there aren't any ratings on most of them. I have seen some claim 200A test.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 12:23:32 AM by (unknown) »

FishbonzWV

Re: Battery Disconnects and fuses
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 06:55:50 PM »
Peppyy,

I didn't know much when I threw my first battery bank together so I used one of those quick disconnects that they use on fork lift batteries. It makes it easy to remove the inverter, they come in different amp ratings and are fairly cheap.

Got mine from grainger  Part # 3by26

If you've got multiple banks I don't think you could find anything easier to use.

bonz

« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 06:55:50 PM by (unknown) »
"Put your brain in gear before you put your mouth in motion"
H.F.Fisher 1925-2007

Tom in NH

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 07:06:15 AM »
Check out http://www.bluesea.com/

Their disconnects and other battery equipment is made for marine use and is high quality. I use one of their rotary A/B disconnects and a DC breaker in front of the inverter. My experience has been you get what you pay for and it doesn't pay to skimp on the protection circuitry of an investment of an inverter and battery bank.

Although Blue Sea equipment tends to be kinda pricey if purchased at a marine retailer, I have obtained mine on ebay at reasonable prices. -Tom
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 07:06:15 AM by (unknown) »

Peppyy

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 09:18:02 AM »
What a difference a keyword makes. I had been looking for battery disconnect.

Battery Switch brings up a whole different kettle of fish. Still looking for the best deals because I have a lot of things I need to get this system started.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 09:18:02 AM by (unknown) »

scoraigwind

• www.scoraigwind.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 03:35:29 PM »
I prefer to disconnect the battery with a wrench.  Best to think about if first.  If there is a wind turbine on the system and the wind gets up with the battery disconnected you have lost your inverter (and a lot more often).  Put separate fuse on each circuit from the battery according to cable size but do not disconnect the battery in a hurry.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 03:35:29 PM by (unknown) »
Hugh Piggott scoraigwind.co.uk