Author Topic: Two Generators Bussed Together?  (Read 1399 times)

ffoegw

Two Generators Bussed Together?
« on: March 22, 2006, 06:55:06 PM »
Ok,

If I have two generator heads being driven by two mills.

One is 2500 watt and the other is 5000 watts can I buss them both together and end up with a 7500 watt panel.

Any adverse consequence to doing this?

If not how do I exploit the power.

Is there a practical workable solution?

Regards

Geoff

« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 06:55:06 PM by (unknown) »

ffoegw

Re: Two Generators Bussed Together?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 11:57:15 AM »

Has this been answered somewhere else?

Geoff

« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 11:57:15 AM by (unknown) »

Nando

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 02:13:28 PM »
WATTS does not mean Anything.

Volts/RPM is what is important, same height and close proximity, within reasons.

There are other aspects to cover, can you give a good description of each of the wind mills.

TSR of both wind mill blades.

Charge controller, as well, may have added requirements for a succesful parallel attachment.

Nando

« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 02:13:28 PM by (unknown) »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 04:08:56 PM »
Greetings Geoff

If you want a practical down and dirty solution...parallel their dc outputs. This is like putting a 12v 17ah battery in parallel with a 12v 34ah battery.

The complications come from the dynamics of the two mills. As we lower the apparent impedance of the output (by paralling them), the blades will have an easier time of it and accelerate to a higher point, until the batts hold them again. How and in what ratio, will depend on the available wind at each, and the efficiency of each....Too many varaibles to guess at.

What can be said, is that simple parallel system, will increase the 5000w to 5000+ something, but less than 7500w......unless of course, the blades were being held near stall before, and now are able to acheive a closer to design tsr match, in which case the addition may be more.....every little bit helps (said the monkey pee--g into the ocean).

Hopefully the nominal voltages are similar.

If you want maximum exploitation, then a more complicated impedance matching system will be useful........however......a nice problem to be lumbered with....two big mills...hhmmm

oztules

« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 04:08:56 PM by (unknown) »
Flinders Island Australia

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 02:50:57 AM »
'MikesWindmillShop' seems to

have got regulators doing

something like, what you want.

http://www.mikeswindmillshop.com/Regulators.html

- Hannu

« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 02:50:57 AM by (unknown) »

nothing to lose

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 09:10:29 AM »
I'm sure there are many ways to do it and make it work.

Simplest and easist for me is just rectify all genny outputs and either series or parralel the DC outputs, depending on various things. I was doing smaller almost matching units though. Getting into larger units may be a bit more to think about.

I posted on here maybe a year or two ago I was thinking about an airplane gennie. I never finished it yet, time and parts for it problems, but I have not gave up either :)

This airplane gennie I have been working on is to make real power, but also alot for decoration at the same time. Basically it will resemble a 4 engine aircraft, 2 gennies on each wing, the tail section will be the furling of course using the planes Rudder.

This gets me 4 small gennies on 1 tower when done, I may even get fancy and use colored LEDs as running lights on it to show when it's making power.

Now that I have some of Riches CNC wood blades, and Jerry blades I can further test things. I had 2 treadmill motors and 2 EFKA 3phase DC motors, but not 4 of the same motors as wanted which has been the biggest hold up, finding matching motors cheap that make power and are light weight.

Now that I also have the #29 type arcs I may just build 4 garbogens the same which would be far better in many ways.

Each genny though we be rectfied on the tower and then parraled or seriesed depending on the gennies and power output of them in average winds. 1 set of wires down the tower. This is one reason I am looking also at series, higher volts for smaller wire since it will have to be DC comming down the tower.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 09:10:29 AM by (unknown) »