Author Topic: HEAT SINK  (Read 860 times)

2windy

HEAT SINK
« on: July 20, 2006, 02:35:44 AM »
What do I use to bond the bridge rectifiers to the heat sink. I am bolting them to a piece of finned aluminum. I read that you should use a dab of bonding glue for good transfer of heat. Where can I find this and what is it called?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 02:35:44 AM by (unknown) »

gizmo

• The Back Shed
Re: HEAT SINK
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 08:53:08 PM »
Its called "Heat Transfer Compound". Available at any electronic components store. Unick is one brand name that comes to mind. A white paste, a bit messy and gets onto everything ( fingers, cloths, work bench ).

Its not a glue, stays in liquid form.

Glenn

« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 08:53:08 PM by (unknown) »

SamoaPower

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 10:41:02 PM »
The main factor for heat transfer between a component and a heat sink is contact area. This translates to surface flatness of both pieces. Air has a much higher thermal resistance than metal-to-metal contact. The idea behind the heat sink compound is to fill in the minute air gaps with something of a lower thermal resistance.

If you want the best results, lap both pieces flat before assembly. Extruded heat sinks (which most are) are particularly bad, with little ridges running along the length. The method I use is to lay a wet sheet of wet/dry sandpaper on a piece of plate glass and work the piece against it. Start with 400 grit and work your way up to 1500 grit. You should end up with a near mirror finish.

Most people use far too much heat sink compound which can actually make the thermal connection worse than none at all. One method is to put a piece of plastic film (a baggy works) over a finger and rub a small amount of compound on both pieces. Work it in well. Than, use a paper towel or rag and wipe the surface clean. A small dollop of compound is then again applied to each piece. The dollop should be about half the size of a BB for the typical bridge rectifier block. Using a razor blade or an edge of a credit card, spread the compound to an even film. Applying adequate clamping pressure is also important. A small amount should squeeze out at the edges.

Heat sink compound can also be obtained at most computer stores. Gizmo is right, it's not a glue.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 10:41:02 PM by (unknown) »

fred480v

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 04:03:23 PM »
as stated a thin film is all you need. heatsink compound is nonconductive. It's not the more the better

fred480v
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 04:03:23 PM by (unknown) »