Author Topic: mechanical control  (Read 863 times)

windspeed

mechanical control
« on: November 11, 2008, 10:30:01 PM »
I posted recently asking for designs on simple mechanical control

the link I got to the southern cross was good but I am not sure from the picture how it would work with an offset gravity furling generator

I think the link from the control would interfere with normal furling

I would appreciate any info on other designs

Windspeed  

« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 10:30:01 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: mechanical control
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 03:02:16 AM »
As I said previously it takes a bit of ingenuity to add a mechanical shut down to the furling tail. It is more difficult with the inclined hinge type as the thing doesn't swing in a vertical plane but it can be done.

The linkage of the shut down mechanism will probably work up and down with tail rotation about its pivot but the mechanism is light enough not to worry the tail even if you have a steel wire ( or a rope ) moving up and down. When you add a large pull or weight to the control cable then your mechanism pulls the tail to full furl at right angles to the wind.

You can use a lost motion device at the top if you wish and use a spring to overcome the weight of the control cable so the cable doesn't move up and down with the tail.

One of the methods I have used is to mount a drum on the tail pivot tube with a steel wire rope round it linked to a lever worked from the siding sleeve worked by the shut down cable. With this scheme the sleeve and control cable does go up and down with tail movement but the force is tiny and has little effect on the main tail weight. Just add a large weight or pull the control wire with a lever and it shuts down.

I am not sure if Oztules can explain his linkage better, I have some crude drawings but you wouldn't follow them as I can't draw things in 3 dimensions. They would only make sense if you understood the thing in the first place.

Flux

« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 03:02:16 AM by (unknown) »

windspeed

Re: mechanical control
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 03:20:17 PM »
Thanks Flux

I appreciate your help

I am trying to reduce the amount of time I spend on perfecting a system that works

Windspeed

« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 03:20:17 PM by (unknown) »