Author Topic: controller for panel  (Read 5254 times)

adobejoe

controller for panel
« on: July 12, 2007, 09:49:18 PM »
I need electrical help in this design for tracking.  My panel is mounted diagonally, as shown, with a linear actuator as structural support and to rotate.  Have tried photodiodes with marginal luck. So, I want a circuit with internal clock that will rotate panel every hour so many degrees.  At midnight return to east facing.  Not easy, but maybe soneone has an idea. AdobeJoe
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 09:49:18 PM by (unknown) »

luv2weld

Re: controller for panel
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 05:36:53 PM »
Save yourself a lot of time and headaches---use this link and buy one from

Duane.

http://www.redrok.com/electron.htm#led3x

At $35, it's money well spent. And remember, no headache!!!

Ralph

« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 05:36:53 PM by (unknown) »
The best way to "kill time" is to work it to death!

antw

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 10:34:30 PM »
Your picture file should have a .jpg file extension, and the file size should be under 100k, not 3000k.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 10:34:30 PM by (unknown) »

Seth7

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 07:30:53 AM »
this can actually be a pain ....

It does work .. im using a 2 led version that he sold 6 years ago ..

others on the board got units that didint work so great ....

Personally id like to see a time based version.... because if a slow cloud moves in .. the redrok will try to point to the brightest point in the sky(not where the sun is) , based on visible light, and corect me if im wrong(and im sure some one will) i think cheap solar pannels like the UV end of the spectrum more. hence, staying pointed at the place where the sun is, can get power even if the sun is partially blocked - redrok will point away from that point in the sky, then track back to it once the clouds have moved on.

A time based tracker will not care if it is a rainy day, or 102deg summer day.... it will always be pointing at the sun.

PS. im on IRC now.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 07:30:53 AM by (unknown) »

Seth7

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 04:30:59 AM »
No activity for a Pic controlled pointing controller ??

joestue

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 09:04:45 AM »
the source code is a google search away.
for:
PIC
AVR
RISK
x86
MATLAB
and more.
there's probably 20 different ways to do it documented on redrok alone..
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

BrianSmith

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 07:33:06 PM »
Doing a time based PIC controller for tracking the sun is pretty complicated.  You need to know the precise time, geographic location coordinates, exact orientation of the array itself, and a closed loop contol to adjust the elevation angle and azimuth angle.  Then there is a complicated calculation to determine where the sun is in the sky.  That PIC will be panting by the time it figures out where the sun is...  ;D

Seth7

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 11:23:55 PM »
How many degrees away from center of sun can a solar panels can get without degradation of power?

joestue

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 01:33:59 AM »
Doing a time based PIC controller for tracking the sun is pretty complicated.  You need to know the precise time, geographic location coordinates, exact orientation of the array itself, and a closed loop contol to adjust the elevation angle and azimuth angle.  Then there is a complicated calculation to determine where the sun is in the sky.  That PIC will be panting by the time it figures out where the sun is...  ;D
eh.. not really, because you don't have to point it at *exactly* the sun.
you don't need this kind of accuracy: http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1538

How many degrees away from center of sun can a solar panels can get without degradation of power?

well, any amount is noticeable to a sensitive meter, but realistically you're looking at the sine of the angle, so if you're 10 degrees off you're only 1.6 percent low
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

Seth7

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 10:21:17 AM »
So, 10deg off .... 1.6% down ...... on a 4Kw panel set would get only 3936watt , surely that's offset by the gained Ah's from tracking.

Seth7

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 11:32:08 PM »

So I don't think it will really needing to do all that ... just get close.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 07:03:50 AM »

So I don't think it will really needing to do all that ... just get close.

Since the sun moves at a known rate you only need to know 3 things for east west tracking. angular velocity of the sun, When it gets dark, when it gets light. These can all be figured out pretty easy knowing when the panels are lighted and when they are dark. Or a simple look up table.

Some folks really love to over think the plumbing it seems.

The angle to southern horizon for PV only needs to be altered a few times a year unless you are anal. In my opinion, as a long time proponent of tracking, is that as long as you are plus or minus a few degrees it is a non issue.

Just from here.

Tom

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 09:49:14 AM »
Lookup tables would be my route.

A badly behaved bird leaving a present on a cell might have more effect than a small error from such tables.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Seth7

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 11:38:46 AM »
What are you using these days TomW to point your panels ... laptop still or?

Mike KC7NOA

Sent with droidX

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 12:10:55 PM »
What are you using these days TomW to point your panels ... laptop still or?

Mike KC7NOA

Sent with droidX

A RedRok Tracker provided by an anonymous forum member. And it has been working perfectly since installation. Time based actually worked for a long time but the relay boards I was using eventually died and an H bridge drive board didn't like a lightning strike.

Tom

Seth7

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 02:20:54 PM »
Lightning .... ? I'll take it that the panels faired ok ....

David HK

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 05:55:14 PM »
Seth 7,

I put this note on another forum article and there is nothing to indicate that you have seen it. Hence my repeat here.

Yes, I sent the entire lot off to another forumite some time ago.

I originally followed and built the design shown at this URL 

http://www.phoenixnavigation.com/ptbc/articles/PCB%20Wizard%20-%20SUN%20TRACKER.pdf

and it has worked flawlessly and well for about 4 years now.

Good luck,

David in Hong Kong

Seth7

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 12:38:19 PM »
Besides redrok ..
 Im not finding published prices for controllers. .. any one have a list of sites with prices?

Seth7

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
no ... oh well.