Author Topic: Is this treadmill motor good for homemade waterwheel generator?  (Read 6659 times)

acaglumac

its a treadmill pm dc motor 8000rpm 130V 2.9 HP. i am planing to build a floating water wheel. the river is Salt river in AZ with 2570 cubic feet per second. is this motor good? i want to use this when i go camping to charge my laptop and a light at night.thanks

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
Re: Is this treadmill motor good for homemade waterwheel generator?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 04:08:06 PM »
8,000rpm? You sure on that? Most I've seen are around 5400 to 3400rpm.

As for the rest you'll need some gearing and will need to spin it around 1200 or so (Or if that speed you listed is right a bit faster) to get around 20V.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

REdiculous

Re: Is this treadmill motor good for homemade waterwheel generator?
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 04:11:23 AM »
...you'll need gearing of some kind. 8000rpm is faster than most but I have one that does 6750rpm.

If you already have the motor then maybe look into making a pedgen instead...cheaper than a floating water wheel. A thought.
☣☠☢