Author Topic: Rain water treatment?  (Read 7242 times)

Biohazard

Rain water treatment?
« on: September 16, 2010, 05:10:16 AM »
As they keep jacking my city water rates up to RIDUCULOUS levels, I have decided I want to start using rain water for flushing my toilets and maybe doing laundry. It was raining today, so I unhooked a peice of gutter and filled up a 5 gallon bucket for a sample. Yuck! Why does it look like a toilet that needs to be flushed? I expected some sediment, but, the water is quite green/yellow with a foam on top. I'm certainly not cleaning my clothes in that...and I don't even want that in my toilets!

Why is it so dirty? Is this because it's coming off an asphalt shingle roof? The roof and gutters were pressure washed not that long ago, so they should be pretty clean. Is it possible to filter this stuff without spending a fortune? Any way to get CLEAR water? I imagine if I tried to store this water it would just get even greener, real quick.

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: Rain water treatment?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 07:09:06 AM »
I think it is Biohazard, possibly is a result of your roofing material, it might help if you tell us where you are, like in the lee of a major industrial area, out on the wide open range. We collect rainwater here in Australia, we flush the first rains to waist to keep as much dust as possible out of the tank, and keep it hard for rats to get in, too many drowned rats tend to taint the water, it is realy best not to look too hard in the tank.

We use it for drinking and all else, but have iron roofs.

How to treat it realy depends what is causing the "contamination" and you have to give us a little hint, no so much as to make it easy though. If it's chemicals forget it, if it's caused by leaves in the gutter then clean them. Relay the only way to know how to treat water is to have it analyzed, then you know what you are dealing with, it's actually that simple.

Anyway tell us a bit more so we can possibly help.

allan
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 07:30:08 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

Biohazard

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 07:33:44 AM »
I am in Oregon. It is still kinda early in the year for rain, our "water year" as they call it doesn't start until October. It has rained a few days since summer though, I thought most 'dust' on the roof would have washed away by now. Maybe it's just too early?

My roof is just plain old asphalt shingles...I expected maybe a little contamination from that making it unsuitable for drinking...but geez, I can't imagine my roof is leaching this much "chemical", it's about 13 years old now I would think most things have been leached out by now. The gutters are pretty clean...I wouldn't eat out of them...but they were washed out not that long ago, and I see no leaves or anything up there. Relatively low population area, I don't think there is any major pollution from the sky to worry about.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 11:06:45 AM »
Couple things;
Allan is very correct, one of the best things to do is to let the first round of rain water leave out through the normal downspouts.
The general rule is memory servers me is 1 gal per 100 square feet of roofing area you plan to use for collecting.
The stuff up there all the pollution around, NOT just man made but natural as well which is probably why its green.
SOME of the simplest ways to clean it up is nothing more than a sand leaching system.
Yep the very same types used in small above ground pools. So if you have or know someone that has an old above ground pool say 16feet or can find one at a local resale shop you could be quickly in biz.
Will need to be low flow so the sand has time to collect the first round of stuff. You'll be surprised at how much go play sized sand will clean up.

Drinking it is another story, but using it for flushing and clothes washing can be done pretty quick and low-cost.
Your roof tiles are always leaching stuff out, otherwise they'd never need replacing, then where would all those roofers get work ;)
You might also want to quietly check to see if you can do this legally. Here in St.Louis,MO there are rules against collecting from your downspouts.
Rain barrels with funnels are okay but NO attaching them to the downspouts.

AND if for just clothes and flushing you can add a little chlorine bleach to help kill the nasties  ;D

Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

SteveCH

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 05:22:38 PM »
Around here, roofs become covered with yellowish pollen. A very large amount of it. For the ponderosa pines, which abound, you can tap a branch with a stick or even toss a rock at one and a cloud of pollen will waft away. Our car windshields, my greenhouse, etc., all covered. Of course, that isn't all year.

Don't know, maybe that's it. It is difficult to filter out, the grains are tiny.

But maybe it isn't that. I collected rain water for some years and the first rain following a dry spell would give us muddy-looking water off the roof for a while til the roof was washed. The water in the buckets beneath the down spouts would be dark brown. A lot of the pollen floats til it becomes waterlogged. It can make a foamy top layer and coat the sides of the containers. In short, it makes a real mess.

When it was time to re-roof the house, I put up a metal roof. [replacing a cedar shingle one] That helped a lot, as the wood [like asphalt] has plenty of places to hole dust, dirt, bird poop, pollen, etc. That stuff still gets on the metal, of course, but it tends to wash off much faster. A lot of roof collection systems are set up to dump the first few gallons from each downspout before any rain is collected into the holding containers. These can be automated or manually operated, though for the latter someone has to be on site to do it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 05:26:05 PM by SteveCH »

Biohazard

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 11:01:01 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone. It had been raining all day before I collected my sample, so I would guess at least 50 gallons of rainwater went down the tubes before I started collecting. I may go up there with the hose and clean it off, and see what color the hose water comes out of the gutters as.

I like the pool filter idea, it definately looks like dirty pool water. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to tap into my downspouts like this, but I do know my gutters all dump into the city's storm sewer system. Fortunately my downspout makes a rather odd turn inside my shed where I can tap into it and store some water barrels without anyone knowing. :) I tried dumping some bleach in it, just got green water that smelled like bleach. ;D

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 07:21:20 AM »
get one of those 55gallon plastic drums, and fill it with sand
and as previously posted, simply allow the water to perculate through the barrel of sand
will take most of the crud out of the water, likely enough to clean it up good enough for
flush and clothes washing.

a treatment with common household bleach would be beneficial in my opinion as well.

i plan also to collect rainwater, however i will be doing so from a steel roof rather than composition
everything i have read is don't mess with collecting off of anything other than a steel roof
it is just too much effort to clean up the water from other than a steel roof in most cases.

if you are really industrious and have the space and money you could always divert the water into
a roman well, which is nothing more than a massively large sand filter, or build a pond that is stocked with
reeds to help settle and clean the water sufficiently to flush and wash with.

the last thing you want to try, is the use of filters to clean your rainwater, it will work out to be much more costly
than simply buying your water from the utility, reason being they will clog up incredibly fast if asked to clean up
the nasty crap coming off that roof.

for a neat system with diverter and dual sand filters look up of find a copy of "five acres and independence"
in the book there is a description and drawing of a dual barrel sand filter with diverter, that works by allowing on
barrel to filter till it is overrun and diverts to the other while the first is leaching out.

even a sand filter will periodically need to be cleaned by backflushing, you might do that with city water when you wash the car
or water the lawn, but will require a pump to boost the pressure after the filter.

bob g
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member