Author Topic: My scrap made 300 dollar scooter!  (Read 7972 times)

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
My scrap made 300 dollar scooter!
« on: June 14, 2010, 07:14:41 PM »
Well as any good scrounger knows when it comes to a 3 speed bike hub and a healthy looking scooter the possibilities are endless!

I found a 500w electric bike at a recycling yard for sale for 100 dollars grabbed that, discarded the heavy bike frame and took a hammer to the scooter to make the 3 speed hub fit in, respoked the 3 speed hub into a kids bick sized wheel, poped out the good ol chain break and snagged the chain from said kids bike.

This is mostly a photo thread but ask questions and they'll be answerd in both photo and words.

Keep in mind this is revision one, I have an identical scooter frame that will be used as the design is debugged and improved, the final system will have springed suspension.

The motor on its old steel bike frame would get me around town at a good speed all day on some half dead 30Ah gell batteries, So on this lighter more efficient fram + gearing my torque to weight ratio will be insanely good!

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 05:24:09 PM by kurt »
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

willib

• SuperHero Member
Re: My scrap made 300 dollar scooter!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 12:14:13 AM »
That is really cool !!

I had a three speed hub a short while ago , had to let it go  :'(

What speeds have you gotten from it ?
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

REdiculous

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 12:31:23 AM »
Cool stuff...approx. weight and speed? What voltage? looks good! :)
☣☠☢

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 04:26:16 PM »
System is 24V, I have yet to get any speed info as I have yet to get my speed controller back ( I lent it to a friend and we're meeting this week end to get it back)

I espect I should be able to get around 20Km/h or better on streight streatches
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 06:35:37 PM »
Nice build.  That hub... not sure how much torque it will take.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 12:33:42 PM »
think about what it was in be for!  I've seen them used with 50cc weed eater engines for home made gas bikes and such, main determining factor in how well they take it is how well it was made and taken care of, I stripped it down cleaned it & inspected it then oiled reassembled the drive and it was in excellent condition.

So it should easily handle the torque given the smaller wheel diameter and the fact it is a planetary all the cards are stacked in its favour, That is why the 3 speeds are worth more then gold in my books for drive trains!

zap

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 04:29:47 PM »
I really wanted a DualDrive for my push trailer but I have yet to find one cheap.  It would have made the build a little easier and I could have made the trailer a bit shorter.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »
Look at TNCScooters"dot"com for drive components, they are an increadible resources for gas and electric drive components, ebay you can snag 3 speed hubs, rar but you can.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 01:11:28 PM »
Got the speed controller installed and new tubes tossed in, so far the thing cruises nicely at about 15Kmph pics soon and some more data.

Up hill driving on low gear is nice & smooth with no hesitations.

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 02:48:29 PM »
15Kmph...  Sooo.... 15,000/762= Mach 20...  

My bet* is it just feels like twenty times the speed of sound!

EDIT: Maybe his wife just has to tell him 20 times to quit playing arena motocross in her kitchen garden?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 02:52:48 PM by DanG »

zap

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 08:41:26 AM »
15Kmph...  Sooo.... 15,000/762= Mach 20...  

;D... I'm just going to assume he wears a helmet... ;)