Author Topic: Cheap solution to power CFL lights  (Read 2631 times)

Opera House

Cheap solution to power CFL lights
« on: July 08, 2010, 04:23:35 PM »
The electronic ballast CFL lights operate as well on DC as they do on AC. Check with an ohm meter first to see if they are electronic.  As many inverters as I have, I can't resist buying defective inverters from TADD on ebay.  This is a Harbor Freight 400W inverter in the red and black plastic case.  Output FETs, fan and control board removed so it produces 140V DC to run GE electronic ballast CFL lights.  With no load draws .07A   One 13W lamp = 1.34A  79%.  Two 13W lamps 2.39A = 89%. 13 & 26W lamps 3.49 amp. 

The four small squares on the board were the location of  H bridge FETs that were removed.  Plugged it in and it worked but it was pulling a half amp with no load.  Removed the long rectangle H driver board with shorted chip and idle current went down to 70 ma.  You can see the charred board in lower left.  These inverters put out about 140V DC.  Look for a high ohm  value resistor if you want to lower voltage by changing it to about 10% lower value if you want.  They seem to work just fine at 140.  This is to power just two 13W floor lamps and at this power doesn't need any fans to stay cool, more current savings.  I'll be using another one to power a DVD player whose power supply will work on 140V DC.