Author Topic: 3hp conversion  (Read 3461 times)

hiker

• BIG DOG
3hp conversion
« on: July 24, 2010, 03:25:42 AM »
picture test ........
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 03:30:01 AM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

hiker

• BIG DOG
Re: 3hp conversion
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 04:05:23 AM »
its a single phase motor..1750rpms..120-240ac...3hp   
may have made the mags to wide--gets about 60volts open..per 4 coils[little more on the starts]..little over a hundred with all six wires hooked  in series..hand drill..used for test
.works great as a slow speed gen--can lite up a 50 watt headlite turning by hand-with just one set of coils..
still have a few kinks to work out on it--guess ile have to hook it up to my pedgen to see what it really can do--
little hand drill sucks.......and it does cog somewhat..not bad thou..may be the small mags i used on it..
96mags....24 per pole double stacked...and yes that is steel putty their buried in..[mags were first super glued down]..it has such a low attraction to the mags i went ahead and used it..i really coundent tell any diffrance  in the buried mags and the open mags-strength wise..may be a few days before i get back to it --reds are running........ :}
WILD in ALASKA

Junkie

• Scraptopower.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 04:19:34 PM »
Nice work! Must have taken a while to glue all those little tiny mags in place.

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 03:48:57 AM »
[ pedgen test]  screwed up!!!!! read the wrong scale on the meter[dam beer]---no i cant hit 1000watts--only hit 10volts on the 1000 watt side of my 28v. aircraft landing light......i can do 400 watts at 28v on the 400 watt side of the lite...takes some effort.....do you rember my little 8and 6 alt i could hold it in my hand.. i hit 400 watts at 28v with that...but at a lot more rpm--smaller pulley..[faster pedaling] seems 400 watts takes about the same amount of energy out of me to  no matter what size of gen..
even thou i had to pedal at a lot slower rpm to reach 400watts on the 3hp conversion..it does top out about 200 volts ac ..
with  a smaller pulley..and it does power up my 6 amp sawsall a lot easyer at 110 ac...than the big dc 110v treadmill motor..
damm.........summer is short up here...feels like late august up here. its been cool up here the whole summer........
globle warming...????  think ive topped out on my hobby! were does it go from here??
back to the trails...................................................hiker!

WILD in ALASKA

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 11:27:39 PM »
yep......its been the trails........theirs no end in site.
WILD in ALASKA

joestue

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 12:33:36 AM »
are the start windings copper?

you might get some serious power out of them, then switch over to the run windings when the rpm picks up.
or you can connect the start winding in series with the run winding then switch over to the run alone, or both rectified separately.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 01:57:01 AM »
the run and start are rectified separate--then hooked togeather after the rects.
yes it does put out some good power--just a hobby--so their it sits..little to big to mount on the back of my motorhome..
played around with it --had it hooked to my pedgen--and a old 2hp engine--easly lites up a 1000 watt 28 volt aircraft landing lite..
had to back off on the throttle to keep it from burning it out..had a bigger pulley on the gen-smaller on engine... would make a good hydro gen as well--lites up a 12v 50watt. headlite turning by hand....
WILD in ALASKA

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 01:59:27 AM »
all copper...
WILD in ALASKA