Author Topic: 3' head-1000 gpm plus  (Read 13399 times)

bamfords54

3' head-1000 gpm plus
« on: October 16, 2010, 07:18:43 PM »
       hey all, I am considering a hydro turbine and need some help with the calculations. Here are my stats.
          head- 3'
          flow  1000 gpm plus
          penstock- none,  considering 10" SDR35 350' in length
          wire run- 2000'
      The turbine I would like to use is a banki with a high voltage alternator.
      What kind of power am I likely to be able to get to my batteries?
      Is 10" pipe large enough for the water I have ?
      Also,I'm not sure about the gpm, sorry. The stream flows around a large rock, through a space 6" deep by 24" wide,
      can gpm be calculated with this? The least amount of power to make this practical is 100 watts to the battery.
      Head could be increased by 2' by adding 500' of pipe
      Any information is a great help  Thank you

hydrosun

Re: 3' head-1000 gpm plus
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 01:05:31 AM »
Wow that's a tough site. Unless you can get some really cheap 18 inch pipe there isn't any purpose to going the extra 500 feet. Any way to have an open canal or flume to move the 1000gpm part of the way?
  A 10 inch pipe would lose  1 3/4 feet head over 350 feet so you might get over 100 watts. A 12 inch pipe would lose .7 feet head. so 2.3 feet head and 1000 gpm could produce 230 watts.
You might consider something like the ESD low head hydro. It works on low head and high volume. Can you create a 3 foot high dam and have the overflow go into this type of turbine?
You can calculate the flow with a cross section to get square foot and multiply by speed of the water in foot per second. So 6 inch by 24 inch is 1 square foot.  If you throw a piece of wood into the stream and measure how far it travels in 10 seconds, multiply by 6 to get cubic feet per minute, and then multiply by 7.4 to get gpm.
How did you get the 1000 gpm number
Chris

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 02:30:08 PM »
2 thousand feet of wire? That's a LOT of money.

How will you protect/lay the wire. High voltage a/c could be buried http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/18-2-Multi-Strand-Irrigation-Wire-p/18-2.htm but I don't know about 2k feet of it.

bamfords54

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 03:58:11 PM »
      Hydro, I came up with 1000GPM like this. There are 2 streams comming together upstream from my site.
      The smaller stream runs through a culvert where it filled a 5 gallon bucket in under a second.
      I figured It for 500 GPM. The other stream is larger.

Tritium

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
have a look at this guys hydro setup.

http://ludens.cl/paradise/paradise.html

Thurmond

12AX7

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 09:38:01 PM »

Thurmond

I really enjoyed this link/site.
Lots of great pics!
I didn't see this guys background, but it's plain to see he has some deep pockets!   and knows how to get things done.

ax7

Tinbendr

• Columbus, MS, USA
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 09:51:11 PM »
... but it's plain to see he has some deep pockets![/quote]
I imagine they're pretty shallow now.   ::)
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious!

Tritium

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 10:18:05 PM »

Thurmond

Lots of great pics!
I didn't see this guys background, but it's plain to see he has some deep pockets!   and knows how to get things done.

ax7

It looks like he is an electronic engineer. Lots of electronics on his home page and a bunch of expensive hobbies. His country place looks like it took a LOT of money. I wouldn't like to be there during an eruption of that volcano though.

Thurmond

12AX7

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 11:10:13 PM »

Thurmond

Lots of great pics!

ax7

It looks like he is an electronic engineer. Lots of electronics on his home page and a bunch of expensive hobbies. His country place looks like it took a LOT of money. I wouldn't like to be there during an eruption of that volcano though.

Thurmond

Check out his photo gallery! 
Very impressed! 

ax7
Mark

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 06:44:43 PM »
That is a very well documented project!
Here is an interesting picture:

And this is after a transformer and cleaning up with a capacitor.  I wonder if this is the loaded or unloaded waveform?
He says:  "The switching of the TRIACs in the ELC, coupled with the inductance of the generator, causes some significant distortion to the waveform"

It looks like he is an electronic engineer.
Yeah no kidding.  Check out the home-made transformer weighing in at 200 pounds! :o
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 08:56:32 PM »
His Xformer is a light weight, I am dreading the day I have to build mine! I am designing for 30Kva w/ a 6Kv input and a 242V out put going to need a small loader to move the thing :( I am avoiding the need for such high voltages like the plaque though. I love his workmanship on the transformer! Personaly I would have epoxy blocked them both or built them oil submerged.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

WoodWaterWheel

• New Turbine
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 10:03:18 PM »
After reading his and his friends Manuel and Ariela labors I'm not sure if this is a story of endless struggles with a final triumph or a wonderful hydroelectric instalation.       I'd love the results assunimg the leaks didn't short something out but Wow that was a lot of site prep and work.             
Winners Never Quit.   Quitters Never Win.

taylorp035

• Stressed spelled backwards is Desserts
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 10:16:02 PM »

Wow  :o  Good thing his soil didn't have too many rocks in it.  1000 gpm over 3' is interesting.  I'm not sure where I would start.  Maybe a very wide under shot wheel?

keithturtle

• Things that fly
    • aftertherapture
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 02:21:01 AM »
1000 gpm really is not all that much water in terms of cubic feet per second:

1000 gal/min / 7.48 gal/cf / 60 sec/min = 2.23 CFS

The wide undershot wheel would need lots of water coming into contact with each blade to move it at a decent rotational speed.  2 CFS would work fine for a rather narrow wheel, I would think

Turtle, thinking small
soli deo gloria

kenl

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 10:50:52 AM »
Here's a link to a calculator for hydro:

http://www.nooutage.com/hydroele.htm#How much power

kenny
seemed like a good idea at the time

deanpegal

• Sprinkler Repair Gilbert AZ