Author Topic: Looking for a rechargable flashlight  (Read 2954 times)

12AX7

Looking for a rechargable flashlight
« on: November 11, 2010, 06:23:51 PM »
I've been looking at new flashlights.
On another site the Lenser x21 was suggested

Check out the video          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZG9KBtmRtI

It's too bad it's price is as big as it's beam!

Anyone have a suggestion?  

ax7
Mark

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: Looking for a rechargable flashlight
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
That's bright enough to have the FAA come knocking on your door if you happened to point it the wrong way at night.

http://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-SE4W3C-Sportsman-Xtreme-Flashlight/dp/B00112HSE2   This one by Rayovac uses a Cree and costs a lot less, but it's still plenty bright.

12AX7

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 07:21:01 PM »
Bright enough to land a space ship!

But I do like it!   If ever lost on a mountain or out on the ocean that's the light I want to have!

or if the lights go out during the super bowl!.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 02:59:39 AM »
I've just taken a cheap torch, swapped out the bulb for an LED drop-in replacement (c/o Thurmond!) and swapped the batteries with high-capacity NiMH cells, for which I have lots of chargers from mains and my off-grid system.

But maybe I'm missing the point.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 10:45:54 AM »
Six years ago I bought a used two "C" cell Maglite at a thrift shop for $4 for my Missus and inevitably took it back a few months later..

Five & one-half years ago I got a pet I walk ten times a week, and evening hour-long walks don't begin until sundown.

Over the last five-plus years that equals more than 2000 trips & hours spent carrying that 2C Maglite. In its current form it has the Maglite three watt 2-cell LED bulb conversion module run by two C-to-AA conversion plastic sleeves with "pre-charged" no self-discharge AA NiMH batteries. Note the conversion module drivers are designed for around 0.9V per cell as end-of-life low voltage for disposables, the 1.5V to 1.25V change from alkalines to NiMH does not make a noticeable difference fully-charged and last 3x longer before the output starts to dim.

It's lightweight, has great light throw power and nearly indestructible. It's seen 30,000 miles of road trips rattling around my truck. It's been dropped on pavement innumerable times, many times at a full run. It can be carried in the back pocket of blue-jeans.  It works at -20°F.  I call it my dog-bopper since I'm walking a cat. (Not anti-dog, Airdales rock.) Its also small enough most people (and cops) don't automatically consider it an offensive weapon like the aluminum tubed "D" cell flashlight.

For off-trail woods walking at night the Maglite is only good for long distance, I have a small cold-cathode area light I clip to my belt buckle to keep from getting tangled up and wiping out my night vision looking at the LED throw up close.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 11:11:53 AM »
I am not a big fan of most factory made rechargable LED flashlights.

The self discharge means after 6 weeks, when I really need it, the batteries are dead.
Or so low it only lasts a minute.  Or so dim it won't do what I want.

The LED part means they expect they can save money (make more money) by installing tiny capacity batteries.
They look great in the store for the 90 seconds it takes to make someone decide to buy it.

Often, they over-drive the LEDs like crazy.
I tested some that send 50ma to 5mm LEDs.  One was 75ma IIRC.
Meaning the total run time before failure was measured in a large quantity of minutes, instead of weeks or years.
And some of those had a Big Brand Name from a camping retailer on them.

The LED flashlight I use everyday, for 15 to 120 seconds a day, has 5~6 year old AA alkalines in it.

I would think about it a lot different if I was using one for 15 minutes a day, or an hour a day.
I don't think most people use them like that.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller