Author Topic: help finding cad software  (Read 1539 times)

rotornuts

help finding cad software
« on: December 04, 2004, 06:15:10 PM »
Can anyone suggest a good cad program for a beginner. I want to be able to click on the screen and have the program read my mind and transform my thoughts into an image! What's wrong with that! Actually I'm having a hard time finding a program (freeware or shareware) that will do a good jod of allowing me to generate blade profiles etc. I dont expect it to create for me but compared to programs like photoshop7 these things are duds.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 06:15:10 PM by (unknown) »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Re: help finding cad software
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 11:38:36 AM »
GET SOLIDWORKS!!!!!!!!

This is the most user friendly 3D CAD software that I have ever encountered. Back in 1998 I took a solidworks test drive, at the SGI company hq in orlando fla, it was free, and I was totally amazed with the ease of use and automatic conversion to 2D blueprints from 3D renderings. Anyhow I registered a fictious name with my state and obtained a DBA then I qualified for a commerial licence, to use SolidWorks for my DBA or company, not inc. At first I thought I could justify the cost of a commerial licence with freelance work for other people, but lets face it thats hard work and you have to be dedicated. for me it worked out well, to sub out the print work I needed for my DBA(doing buisness as) It would have cost over $20,000.00. But I got a commercial licence from solidworks for like $7,500.00 at the time. It was almost self explaitary compared to autocad, definitly worth the cash. With solid works and the computer I have, blueprinting rocket engine assemblys is just a hobby.

JW

« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 11:38:36 AM by JW »

kurt

• website
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 12:08:27 PM »
you can get cadstd lite a good easy 2d cad program for free here http://www.cadstd.com/ if you need 3d cad its gonna cost you some bucks as there are no good freeware 3d cad programs avalable that i know of.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 12:08:27 PM by kurt »

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 12:59:41 PM »
I think that in the beginning

you don't need expensive CAD

programs... But you could

use for example xfig

(for linux), which is great

for making simple drawings.

There is a kind of clone for

mswindows available here:

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~huluvu/WinFIG.htm

- Hannu

« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 12:59:41 PM by hvirtane »

monte350c

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 02:52:51 PM »
Try QCad if you're looking for 2D cad software.

http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad.html

It's open source, Windows, Linux, Mac compatible.

Produces dxf files. Not too expensive (I got it online for $25) There's a demo you can try free before making a commitment. I found it easier to use than a lot of other ones I tried. But it's not 3D though...

Ted.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 02:52:51 PM by monte350c »

rotornuts

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004, 10:13:27 PM »
Thanks for the help. I currently have cadstd lite and so far have found it to be the best of the freeware/demo programs I've tried. I guess I've been spoiled by photoshop7. Its deadly easy image editing and I've been hoping to find a cad program with the same goof proof style. Many cad programs I've tried so far (at my level of experience) only seem good for rendering a pre-engineered design and if all that I'm doing is drawing I can do that in photoshop. I just tried A9CAD and find it a bit much for me. If I have to spend 3 months trying to master a program I'll stick to pencil and paper.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 10:13:27 PM by rotornuts »

juiced

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004, 03:19:40 PM »
I used to use something called Bcad from russia.

It wont allow you to save past a useful amount of points and its fairly rough but im sure you could find a cracked version. The software is from ... 99? 3D

Good luck, let m know if you come across something else.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2004, 03:19:40 PM by juiced »

juiced

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2004, 03:44:01 PM »
Sorry, bcad is still not free!

But this is: http://www.cadvance.com/65form.htm

Looks good, D/ling right now...

« Last Edit: December 11, 2004, 03:44:01 PM by juiced »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2023, 04:02:11 PM »
You guys see the dates here.

My most recent version of SW is 2016. Got a good deal happy about that. I use SW 2000 because its easy to use and have tonns experience with it. So I will draw something in 2000 then transfer the drawing into SW 2016. There is so much there I've transferred files into 16 and it meets all engineering criteria.

JW
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 04:17:48 PM by JW »

taylorp035

• Stressed spelled backwards is Desserts
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2023, 07:39:09 PM »
I see you were passionate to bring back a 18 year old thread JW.

I initially used Google Sketchup a long time ago and that was a free 3D software.  I don't know if you can still get it.  I imagine it's better now since I've heard of people using it.

You used to be able to get a copy of Autodesk Inventor for a $1700, but they may have moved to a subscription model for their latest attempt at getting customers.  Thankfully my copy still works.  If you happen to know someone who is a student, they can get free Autodesk software through their educational email address, though they have been getting more strict on the requirements recently.  I think they also had some cheaper software for people who don't need a hardcore 3D software.

I thought I saw where you could get Solidworks for a few hundred bucks.

I've been using PTC Creo at work now for 7 years and have been finding it to be good at many things.  I've not tried shopping for it.   I feel like if you were willing to spend a bit a money, one could find a 3D CAD software that would meet the needs of anyone trying to model parts for their renewable energy hobby.... it's really only when you get to ultra complex things and when you want integrated dynamics/FEA/etc... capability do you need that multi-thousand dollar license.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2023, 10:54:01 PM »
You might be able to get a discounted licence, or a stripped-down copy of Solidworks if you are a member of the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association).  There are strings attached, but the point is for creative people designing aircraft to get them hooked on SW.  That software is well suited to a small aircraft design.

I've now used many CAD packages, though by far I have used AutoCAD most of all.  Starting in school getting a pirated copy, then at summer jobs and then at my first permanent employer of 13 years.  So I racked up well over 10,000 hours using it.  I still use it a lot today because every engineering office I've worked or contacted has a copy, even if they don't primarily use it.  I won't compare it to 3D CAD, but as a complimentary tool it is still valuable.

I also used Inventor extensively, got a lot of formal training to use it proficiently, and became very comfortable with most of its capabilities.  I'd recommend it, if you can access it.  It is only licensed by subscription and that's about as steep as you say it is Taylor.  I don't know of any (legal) ways to avoid that.  Same goes for Solidworks.  Very capable, easy to learn.  And also only by annual subscription, now.

My experience with Solidworks is limited and somewhat satisfactory.  Coming from Inventor it was like learning Spanish after becoming fluent in French.  Easier to pick up the basics because there's a lot of common ground, but then constantly stumble on all the subtle differences, and never really get the knack.  Others I work with have crashed head-first into the limitations of Solidworks.  Complex models with too many parts bog down and you can't bail out.  I found Inventor would allow me options and controls at various phases of handling big assemblies so I wouldn't often be stuck with my computer churning for an hour.  Users of Solidworks can't escape without killing the program with the task manager.  Looking over my shoulder I don't see users as proficient with SW as I saw in the days when I was using Inventor, so the comparison may be unfair.

Very rough comparison of 3D CAD:
Solidworks max 10,000 parts in assembly
Inventor max 100,000 parts in assembly
CATIA & CREO > 100,000 parts in assembly

The price of these software rises in proportion!

Taylor, have you tried the simulation modules in CREO?  I seem to recall you did in Inventor (a while ago).  Any comparisons?
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2023, 12:06:26 PM »
Since I only dabble what is the best free 3d CAD software out there? Tried several and they were lacking...

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2023, 09:04:24 AM »
Onshape gets my vote.
I use it for a lot of hobby stuff, like my new tower's base mounting.
I was an early adopter, so I got a special level of access, and gave them user feedback for years.
I believe the free users still get a highly functional software.
It works 100% online, so any kludge that can run a web browser will do.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2023, 12:02:01 PM »
I should have added downloadable... I HATE cloud apps

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2023, 08:56:43 PM »
See if Fusion is still available for free.
It was several years ago, but last year Autodesk changed the terms of use and I don't know if they completely upended it.
A lot of hobby machinists used Fusion and loved it.  I think it's the CNC functions that slipped behind the paid license, but if you don't need Fusion for that, then try it out.
I've used it.  It's easy to use, and very "pretty".  Somewhat demanding of your graphics.

As for cloud apps...  you get what you pay for...  in that way, demanding that it be a downloadable software can be a lot to ask.
www.sparweb.ca

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2023, 12:56:49 AM »
I had a cloud based app steal my work and sell it so nope. Not using them.

taylorp035

• Stressed spelled backwards is Desserts
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2023, 09:15:59 AM »
I've not used any simulation inside of Creo.  I'm an advanced user of ANSYS Workbench at work.  Inventor has a basic level FEA built in and dynamic analysis.

Autodesk software can be had for free if you are a student.  That's how I obtained it for a while.  I have a different license now that I'm surprised hasn't been removed after getting multiple emails to the subject that it was going away.  I count myself very fortunate.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2023, 12:28:27 PM »
At 62 I am a wee bit old for a student  ;D

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2023, 01:13:58 PM »
I'll still be a student on my current gig when I'm 63...  There's always time!

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2023, 11:56:30 AM »
I'll still be a student on my current gig when I'm 63...  There's always time!

Rgds

Damon

Only if I can claim self taught student! With my disabilities now I cannot keep a set schedule...

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2023, 08:42:02 AM »
Mary B;
Let me see if I still have autocad 2d , I got it while learning VisioCAD on 51/4" floppies  ;D.
IF I still have it you can have it.

62? Ahh those were the days :-)

Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2023, 11:06:43 AM »
Need 3d modeling...

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2023, 08:42:53 PM »
If you want a walk on the wild side... https : // getintopc . com /

But that is absolutely NOT RECOMMENDED by me!

Knowing about something is NOT doing it.
Telling someone about something is NOT an endorsement.
My only motivations here are your sincere request, and my sincere resentment of what several software companies did to me last year.
Also feel no social obligations to acknowledge what you chose to do with this information.  It's just "there".
www.sparweb.ca

MagnetJuice

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2023, 11:42:44 AM »
Last night I went to getintopc,,com and downloaded a "free" program and installed it.

This morning my antivirus greeted me with this message.

15165-0

I took a chance because I have good security.

Without good security, YOUR computer will be THEIRS.

Ed
What can I do TODAY that would make TOMORROW a better world?

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2023, 11:47:11 AM »
Last night I went to getintopc,,com and downloaded a "free" program and installed it.

This morning my antivirus greeted me with this message.

(Attachment Link)

I took a chance because I have good security.

Without good security, YOUR computer will be THEIRS.

Ed

I took one look at the site and ran! Didn't DL anything