Author Topic: Antique Dynamo Help  (Read 7040 times)

terry5732

Antique Dynamo Help
« on: May 14, 2011, 03:41:17 PM »
I bought an old hand crank laboratory generator recently. It has slip rings for AC output and a commutator for DC output. I only get fractional voltage on either when spinning it up with a drill. Flashing the field only gives a small temporary increase. What am I missing to get the field to self-excite?

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?
Re: Antique Dynamo Help
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 03:54:41 PM »
You want the field to be connected to the armature.

Try it connected across the armature (in parallel) by tying the field to the DC output terminals and also try it with the fields in series with the DC output and a load of some kind like a light bulb.

dave ames

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 04:38:21 PM »

Great find Terry,

have you tried adjusting the commutator while turning it?  it may be set in low/off in that position.

cool toy!

terry5732

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 05:21:24 PM »
Connecting the DC from the commutator to the fields didn't give me any more voltage but there was a slight increase in power. Where the yoke is set seems to be the position for highest output. Connecting six volts to the DC runs it as a motor. When running, the AC output is the same as turning by external force.

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 06:37:04 PM »
Thats really special Terry,
The link provided dosn't even list one.

http://www.hasi.gr/instruments

it does have a lot of other cool instruments , some made by Central Scientific, some by other companies.

"Central Scientific Company
Central Scientific Company was founded in 1900 in downtown Chicago. It was formed out of what was left of the Olmstad Scientific Company.
Central Scientific manufactured and distributed science teaching equipment for schools, colleges, and universities by catalog mail order. The trademark "CENCO" was used from 1909 onwards."

Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

terry5732

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 11:22:31 PM »
Curiouser

After sitting a while, cranking it produced no voltage. I gave it a flash and the AC went to about 3 volts.

Disconnected the field from the DC and still 3 volts AC output.

Opened the fields and still 3 volts.

Shorted the fields and still 3 volts.

Just under 2 volts on the DC output.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 08:24:55 AM »
We had something like that in high school. The magnets must have been much stronger because there was no need to gear it up with the oversized crank. It would produce enough to light a 60 watt bulb. 15 or 20 people would stand in a circle holding hands and someone would crank. Yeah, OSHA or somebody would have a fit about that now.

The magnets on ours were horseshoe shaped.

If you got a strong magnet and stuck it to the side while cranking for a while it might remagnetize the core/shell.

terry5732

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 09:38:34 PM »
I guess speed was the key. I thought the drill speed should be enough.

Hooking the belt back up and cranking by hand (a workout) gave me 4 VDC and 1.5 VAC.

taylorp035

• Stressed spelled backwards is Desserts
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 10:28:16 PM »
The magnets on ours were horseshoe shaped.

My high school had that too.... at least 3 teachers I had let us play with them.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 12:28:26 PM »
Not possible to see everything from the picture.

Forget the ac output for now. You need the dc armature connected in parallel with the fields for it to self excite and you must turn it in the correct direction.

I am not sure about the field connections, it looks as they can be connected series or parallel but I really can't see from the picture.

You say it will motor, if the field is properly connected it will motor in the same direction as you need to turn it to excite and you will have to turn it a bit faster than it motors.

You can easily fool yourself with this as it will still motor without the fields connected at all if the brushes are slightly off the neutral axis. It will also motor if you have connected the fields wrongly and have them in series with the armature but it won't generate in this state.

If the fields are properly connected for shunt operation you should get a residual voltage as you turn it , when you connect the shunt field the residual will drop a little as you load the armature if you are below critical speed. If above critical speed it will build up excitation.

It looks to have 4 field coils and I would expect these to be connected in series, but series parallel is possible.

When you have found the field leads for the 4 coils in series then try your battery across the field leads and the armature dc output should then rise way above the residual. If this works ok then the fields are probably right. Connect them is parallel with the armature and apply the battery and it should motor. Crank it in the direction in which it motors and it should build up when you are fast enough.

So much easier with the device in front of me that trying to explain by telepathy but I hope you can follow the argument.

Flux

terry5732

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 03:54:13 PM »
I'm sure I tried that connection before with no result - suddenly I can crank over 250 VAC with a fairly slow turn but good resistance (no load)