Author Topic: Solar powered laptop  (Read 2106 times)

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
Solar powered laptop
« on: January 15, 2011, 02:25:04 PM »
Ok so as many know, between Ghurd, Commanda, and myself, a fully homemade (except the panels) system has been created.

Up until now, it's been tested on things like 60W incandescents, dummy load resistors, and the like.

But now that the metrics testing is over, I have a portable quick-deploy system that can be used for almost anything in the 45 - 50W range.

For some real world usage, I hit it up with a fairly power-skimming laptop, and this is what I have, from usage to production:

The laptop, in the middle of installing Ubuntu 10.04, and the battery showing a little strain from the lack of power management during the install...

The boost converter. This unit is a multipurpose device that has several different attachments for doing various things. One of them is for running a 19V laptop.

The dump controller. Capable of sinking 60W, Ghurd's design works flawlessly here. Inside are six 10R 10W Dale ceramic resistors as the dump load.

Here's Amanda's buck converter, without the MPPT, but still works fairly well. The blue LED indicates it's connected to the panels, the red LED blinks in the event the load (battery) is disconnected.

My manually tracking operated, trash can and recycle bin supported, 60W solar panel "installation".

I realize that this isn't the most efficient method for powering the laptop, but everything in the mix is designed to be a universal component to everything else. It's all a compromise.

Steve
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Solar powered laptop
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 07:02:32 PM »
Looks good to me!
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Rover

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 07:36:46 PM »
Very cool, I like the manual arrangement.... :)

I'm assuming your bosting V to the laptop ?  or is it really buck from a higher voltage?

Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

Madscientist267

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 09:20:38 PM »
It works something like this:

[panels in series, 36Vpeak, 60W rated] ---- [Buck 36Vpeak (@1.7A to 12.3 - 14.4V @ 3.5A] ----

---- [Dump 60W @ 14.4V] ---- [12V nom FLA] ---- [Boost, commercial modified, 12V nom -> 19VDC] - [Laptop, 3.14A @ 19V]

Not so tidy loss, but working anyway. Like I said, compromise.  ;D

Steve

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 09:58:46 AM »
Nice!

I'm impressed with the tenacity you've shown with the "Madscientist Ghumanda Circuit" project.

I assume the hose is there for PMS (post magic smoke) events?  ;)

Madscientist267

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 10:05:18 AM »
Of sorts LOL It's actually for putting out the fire pit in the background...  ;D

Steve