Author Topic: Low head, grid-tied 3kW undershot waterwheel  (Read 20077 times)

DanF

• Administrator
Low head, grid-tied 3kW undershot waterwheel
« on: January 26, 2011, 11:17:12 PM »
This guy gets an A+ in my book. His 3 kW homebrewed. grid-tied, fully licensed and permitted, low-head undershot wheel has been in operation since 1983, with very little downtime. It's near Midway, Utah, on a small, spring-fed tributary of the Middle Provo River. The water is relatively warm so near the source.... so it never freezes.

We get lots of questions about low-head undershot hydropower, especially floating units. The numbers are pretty depressing.....if you don't have lots of head or don't want to lay lots of large-diameter pipe, you have to build a big, mechanical "thing." Which describes this one pretty well.

The builder and his wife said that they just watched this huge amount of energy flow by for so long, and decided to harvest it. They did research at the library, contacted the numerous authorities. Nobody had any answers, then over the course of 3 years they built, experimented, negotiated. They admit making themselves pests to AHJs, and suppliers of generators, gearboxes, grid-tie inverters, and sundry items. There's a fish ladder to the right side of the video, better visible in the aerial photo at the bottom of this post.
BUT IT ALL WORKED!

Quote: "They all told me I couldn't make any power from an undershot wheel, and I said B***S**t. How else could I do it here?"
I have to agree! Tough site.

Specs: During normal operation, the wheel spins at 14 RPM, geared up 125:1 into a 3-phase alternator that feeds a standard (for 1983, that is) grid-tie wind turbine alternator. If the grid cuts out from a blackout, the wheel overspeeds (you can see and hear it in the video below--and you can hear the big grid tie breaker when he throws it). A flyball counterweight system then  grabs the counterweight cable, and the entire unit lifts out of the water. It takes a manual reset of the counterweights to reset it all (last part of video).

The wheel itself was damaged by debris floating down in high water in spring 2010, so by the meters (in video) it was making about 1.2 kW when i visited. When all the paddles are in place, it would be making about 3kW and spinning at a higher RPM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P88O6Gl-yX4

You can clearly see the hydro unit at center top of the aerial photo below, in the tributary coming in from top center and spring fed ponds top left. The Middle Provo River is at far right. The fish ladder is at right of the hydro unit. I am am quite sure the unit *improved* fish habitat downstream, from aereating the water. I actually went there to flyfish right after Christmas.....the folks I was staying with on this fishing trip had done some remodel work at the house, and the owner gave us all permission to fish... So I observed the hydro unit, caught 3 nice trouts, spent the rest of the day at the hydro unit, then came back the next day to film the hydro unit and interview them for this posting!

So, all I can say is "Thanks Lary and Dottie! We really enjoyed your hospitality. And even if none of your neighbors give a s**t about your water wheel, there's lots of other folks all over the world who will be both educated--and inspired--by what you accomplished from a really difficult situation!"

DAN FINK
Buckville Energy Consulting
NABCEP - IREC - ISPQ Accredited Continuing Education Providers

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 11:58:22 PM by DanF »

hydrosun

Re: Low head, grid-tied 3kW undershot waterwheel
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 11:14:06 AM »
A very impressive system. It shows that it is technically possible to overcome the obstacle's  to tap a flowing stream for power.
  I'm looking at a low head site and using a large Darius type turbine underwater and a vertical shaft to above the surface.  But it's likely it never will get done because of the dangers of damage from debris floating down the river or people could vandalize.  Never mind the mine field of  permits.  So it is a gamble to put too much effort into it.
Chris

DanF

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 12:25:52 PM »
Chris;

Here's the list of Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) here in Colorado, for a recent microhydro site feasibility study I performed:

- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
- Denver Water
- US Fish and Wildlife
- CO Historic Preservation Office
- CO Dept of Public Health and Environment
- CO Division of Wildlife
- Gilpin County
- United Power
- CO Division of Water Resources

Supposedly the State of Colorado is now working on a plan to streamline the application process!

As it is, permitting a microhydro plant here is both a tedious and odious process.

DAN FINK

12AX7

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 02:24:11 PM »
WQW..

I like it!

The balance of the system looks like it borders "art".

Any idea what type of bearings are used?
Was there any mention of the weight of the turbine? 
I noticed that most all the "paddles" were straight/perpendicular to the axis.   Most everyone says they need to be at "such in such" an angle.

I understand that it is grid tied,  is the automatic "lifter" there to eliminate/shut down power? 
From the time he threw the disconnect switch to the time the turbine lifted out of the stream you could see that it did speed up,  but I wonder why that "slight" increase of speed would cause a problem for that turbine setup?
Surely the turbine would reach a "set speed" and not run any faster.   There is no chance that a "gust of water" will come along and tear the turbine apart?  With that "slight" increase of speed does the generator go past it's safe rating?

For the sake of "wear and tear"  I would think letting the turbine run all the time and having a clutch between the drive and the step up transmission would have been much more simple.

I wonder if they wouldn't get a big boost in output if they would build their own alternator, designed to operate at a much lower speed, maybe like Dan's Lister alternator.
Any idea the make/model and age of the generator currently in use?

Did the owner say what the returns are?  3kw/24/7/365  should bring in a tidy sum!
I'm guessing that these people don't have their own web site..  they should!

I love it!

ax7
Mark

12AX7

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 02:39:16 PM »
I couldn't help myself...  noticed this other video..

I bet would make a GREAT addition to this hydro set up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InZ9XtiKpXo&feature=related

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 07:35:01 PM »
WoW Dan that was very cool.

thanks
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

12AX7

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 09:45:25 PM »
I think we need to send him back..   for more video,  close up pics ..  and to give the builder some more "at a boys".