Author Topic: foam spray rig equipment  (Read 9504 times)

phil b

foam spray rig equipment
« on: February 11, 2011, 01:58:20 PM »
There are several DIY spray foam rigs on Ebay now. Here one I'm looking at: SPRAY FOAM INSULATION EQUIPMENT DO IT YOURSELF PACKAGE http://cgi.ebay.com/SPRAY-FOAM-INSULATION-EQUIPMENT-DO-YOURSELF-PACKAGE-/180622023774?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0de95c5e#ht_1800wt_682

For the difference in price of the Tiger/Handy foam kits versus buying this equipment plus 55 gallon drums of foam means I can pay for the rig and have foam left over.

The foam will be used as the center section between two layers of concrete in house construction. I can't think of anything else that might work except a pour-in polyurethane.

Does anyone have experience with this or similar equipment?

Phil

artv

Re: foam spray rig equipment
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 04:08:03 PM »
Hi Phil, If your planning on going into business (small) it might not be a bad buy.I read the specs but there wasn't any mention of the heating unit which is necessary.It did say heated hose but you also need to keep the two seperate componets in a specific temp zone.If your just buying for personel use (1 build) I would look into flat roofing companies, lots of them save the old foam when re-roofing you can get it pretty cheap,and it would be easier to work with, just fill any voids with spray foam,couple of cans should do it......good luck with your build.......artv

toothy

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 03:47:19 AM »
Hello

I just bought a spray unit from SPI called an lpg. It works, but we are still having a sort of love hate relationship. I need about 35,000 board feet so the trouble is worth it, at 1/2 price plus the gun. I've run over 90 gal through it and it hasn't killed me yet or the other way around.

Would I do it again....... I had my shop sprayed a few years ago and it took the guy 4+/- hrs and it was done, and looked like a professional job. Mine looks like my welding, which is to say about like a chicken walked over it and did his business. I don't think the looks affect the thermal performance, it sure does tighten the place up.

The other poster is right keeping the goop, hoses and unit warm is a problem, especially off grid in Alaska.  I built a foam hot box for the goop and unit. I'm headed to buy a few more sets this week, so I'm either too cheap for my own good or just plain stupid, who knows. Make sure you have the correct respirator and protective gear.

I can tell you from personal experience, DON'T GET IT IN YOUR HAIR, I forgot to put on the hood.

Don't let it be said that I endorsed or condemn this method of getting foam on the walls, or in my case the roof from the bottom, I think it all depends on your pain threshold and endurance.

Have fun
Wade

phil b

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 07:06:44 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.
Phil

phil b

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 10:50:39 PM »
Phil

geeggee

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 11:06:52 AM »
Fomofoam.com for a kit that is maybe better than Tiger...IMHO.
US Composites has a good urethane pour kit with great expansion values....different densities open and closed.