Author Topic: Xantrex C40 LCD panel readings: wrong  (Read 513 times)

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Xantrex C40 LCD panel readings: wrong
« on: February 21, 2011, 03:39:39 PM »
I have a combined wind-solar setup, there is a Tristar regulating power from the wind turbine, and a Xantrex C40 on the solar circuit.
Both are on the same battery (24v) and both connected to the same bus bars.
Last night I noticed the LCD on the C40 was still reading 2 Amps - but it was after the sun went down!
So I hit the reset button.  It didn't reset.  Hmmm.  Shut off the solar panels.  Still reading 2 Amps.   Even more perplexed.
It was too cold last night to fuss with it so I gave up quickly, but this morning I came back and with the solar panels still off, the C40 panel was then reading 3 Amps.
Naturally the cumulative Amp-hour reading was totally out to lunch, as if there was 40 amp-hours of solar energy coming in overnight!?!

Got a little frustrated, unbolted the battery+ terminal from the C40 and it powered down.  I left it off for another 10 seconds, then reconnected it.
Once powered up everything was reset and the current reading (of course) was back to zero. 
Flipped on the solar panels...  4 Amps.  That's normal for 9AM (with panels that peak at 7 Amps at noon.)
I'd like to be able to trust the readings on the C40 LCD - otherwise what's the point of having it?

Has anyone had a similar experience?  Does this hint that I have something hooked up wrong?  Is -25C too cold for C40 panels?
Thanks guys!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

97fishmt

Re: Xantrex C40 LCD panel readings: wrong
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 05:23:57 PM »
I've had false readings with the C-40 in dump mode with the remote panel.
It some times says its dumping an amp or two and I go down to the basement and can tell it isn't dumping into the resistors because when it does it buzzes.

So I unplug the remote panel and plug it back in and all is well.  I don't know why either.  I grounded the box recently and that helped I think.  It still happens though.  Don't know from my experience. :-\