Author Topic: Costco Golf cart cells Question  (Read 1338 times)

MagicValleyHPV

Costco Golf cart cells Question
« on: March 08, 2011, 04:23:32 PM »
I'm looking at Costco's 6v golf cart units @ $78 ea (+core). Anyone know who makes these? Anyone with first-hand experience?

freejuice

Re: Costco Golf cart cells Question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 05:04:09 PM »
I  have the "Sams" variety, they are made by someone else of course, but they have the "Energizer" logo on them....they have been working well for the last several years...if any of this helps :)

WindriderNM

• some days you get the bear some days the gets you
    • WindriderNM
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 05:05:28 PM »
how many A/Hr are they
~~~WindriderNM (Electron Recycler)~~~   
~~~Keep Those Electrons Flowing~~~

MagicValleyHPV

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 05:28:03 PM »
how many A/Hr are they
IIRC, they are 220, but hold-off on the rumors until I confirm tomorrow, when I go in again.

I was really tempted to grab a few just 3 weeks ago, but they were 4-month-old-stock dated 11/10. Since it's close to golfing season, thought I'd wait for fresh - this week, maybe next.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 05:35:10 PM by MagicValleyHPV »

MagicValleyHPV

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 06:10:11 PM »
Ok, found the following on another site (dated Feb 2011):

Suggesting Costco's are Kirkland (no aH rating is mentioned however). Also, my local Costco only had one model in stock. According to the info below, there appears to be two different capacity units:

Kirkland Signature Golf Cart Batteries

Model    P/N         CCA (not aH)               Physical Size                   Amount
GC2   245725   100 Min   -   10.375   7.1875   11.34375   $78.99
GC8   25726     110 Min   -   10.375   7.1875   11.34375   $78.99

go4it

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 06:18:45 PM »
I am from Canada and 6v golf cartwe don't have Sams and Costco doesn't carry 6V golf car batteries.  Do most of the Costco stores carry them in US?

Tritium

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 06:20:48 PM »
GC2 is 6V
GC8 is 8V

Thurmond

MagicValleyHPV

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 06:33:51 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Thurmond,

Found more info (dated 11/2008)

"Okay, ended up having to call Costco for the full specs... here is what they gave me:
6V
220ah@20hr
63lbs
100min@75amps
425min@25amps

These are manufactured by Johnson Control-- the model is 2-gc5 CCA
They are $75.99 a piece.[/u]"

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 08:11:20 PM »
Just to muddy the water...

The 12V Sam's/WallyWorld deep cycle batteries are made by Johnson Control too.

But the Sam's 'Energizer' 6V is rated at less than 220AH.  Seems like 190AH?  Not sure why they would rate them less if they were the same battery.
But Trojan used to make the Sam's 6V, which Trojan had to admit when the Sam's 6V batteries were caught in a Trojan T-105 recall back in the mid 90s.

Might narrow down who made them by the terminal sizes?
I came across some with different size + & - terminals, and some where both terminals were the same size.

There are only 3 (?) companies making them in North America.  I am sure they are fine.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

MagicValleyHPV

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 08:44:22 PM »
Thanks ghurd,

I hadn't planned to buy just yet - was planning mid-summer. But with recent spikes in fuel lately and the 'trickle-down' effect on nearly all consumer products, I think I'm gonna jump in early. Also..

Nowhere have I heard of anyone doing a load test on these cells - I'll try to setup for one in the coming weeks. Be interesting to know just how consistent they are, and if I should return any prior to warranty expiration.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 09:22:40 PM »
My experience with batteries is they don't really drop capacity all that fast.
If they fail, it is usually quick and complete, going straight from 'fine' to 'not working'.

Sam's is good with honoring the warranty. 
Trojan is not.
I don't know about Costco.
G-

Tritium

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 11:37:18 PM »
Sam's in my part of the world are by Interstate which were until last year made by US Battery but US Battery posted a disclaimer a few months ago that Interstate was no longer having them made there but by a unnamed Chinese firm. It seems to me Sam's is selling batteries by the preferred manufacturer of the month in the region they operate in. None the less I have had very good luck with their FLA's but not with their SLA's.

Thurmond

MagicValleyHPV

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 05:04:01 PM »
Ok, Picked up 4 Costco GC5 6v golf cart batteries.  Date codes were all 2/11 (Feb 2011). They only had 5 total so I just grabbed the 4 highest voltage.  However, the SG's were kinda of a mixed bag between batteries. Price also went up $1 to $79.99

Temp 58F

1. 1.263 to 1.264
2. 1.272 to 1.274
3. 1.251 to 1.255
4. 1.252 to 1.256

I currently have the lowest two in series and charging 12v. Then, if need be, i'll individual charge as required prior to connecting the pack (all in series @ 24v). My PV mount is being modified and moved, so I have these on grid right now.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 05:09:52 PM by MagicValleyHPV »

Rover

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 05:11:55 PM »
If you have a decent charger, I'd charge them all initially (strings of 2 if you have a 12v charger  as you are doing with the lowest set.)

I think it would be a good iidea (if you can) to  get them all to an equalization charge for a while

Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 06:01:36 PM »
What Rover said.

I'd put the lowest voltage pair together and equalize.
Then the highest voltage pair.

If you can not properly equalize them, then use a cheap old-school charger and run them up past 14.7V for a couple/few hours... while baby sitting them.

Get them bubbling a bit for a few hours and the SG will fall into place.
G-

MagicValleyHPV

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 06:46:42 PM »
I was wondering if I should equalize considering the sporadic SG's. My 12v charger doesn't have EQ.  The lowest two batteries, so far, have been cooking about an hour and just reached 14.61v - peculating slightly.  If the charger won't go any higher, I'll go buy one W/EQ.  Appreciate the wisdom.

Rover

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 08:15:04 PM »
IMHO, don't rush out and buy a charger with an equalization mode. It is a "nice to have".

I'm thinking you will find that buying one will cost at least half of what you have in batteries.

There are other ways, old laptop power supplies etc.

But , if you don't have any of those,  and can't do the equalization without buying a high priced charger, just get em all to a full charge with what you have.

You can use you're RE source down the road (hopefully) to do an equalization  ( on a 2 month basis , or there abouts)

Rover

MagicValleyHPV

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 05:01:33 AM »
Been busy last night. I have a second 24v / 8a charger which is specified for mobility scooters. After adding several feet of 16g to the charger output leads, (to lower the voltage slightly) I coupled 3 batteries series and managed a consistent 23.6 to 24.2v (approx. 8v per/batt) equalization. Total time was about 1.5 hrs. Batteries 3 & 4 (the lowest 2) were left in the string the whole time, but I alternated between the two higher (batts 1 & 2) so they only received a portion of the EQ time each. I figured I'd leave'em sit for a day or two before pulling SG's again.

I also noticed a difference between pairs. The two lowest charged had different 'lot'? numbers. Odd because they all have the same date code.  Also, all were supplied with hex nuts, which I replaced with wings.  -kenny-
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 05:05:40 AM by MagicValleyHPV »

MagicValleyHPV

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 04:03:48 PM »
Ok,..

Resting for almost 2 days after EQ at approx. 50f ambient, I'm seeing reasonably consistent SG's. All cells in all batteries are between 1.268 and 1.275. Battery #2 being the lowest. Resting voltages are:

1. 6.40v
2. 6.38v
3. 6.40v
4. 6.40v

I plan to load these in a week or so to get some idea of an initial capacity.

Tritium

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 07:00:11 PM »
Get thee to Storm Copper Components and get some proper battery interconnects in 4/0 copper.  ;D

Thurmond

MagicValleyHPV

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 07:23:12 PM »
Geesh!... I just spent almost $350 and the man says I need to spend MORE! :D  Seriously, I just picked up some #4x5/16' copper terminals, just today actually, from my local supplier 4 blocks away -  had'em for .75 ea.;D  The green temps you see in the photo, are actually 8g
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 07:25:33 PM by MagicValleyHPV »

Rover

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 07:51:37 PM »
Although I agree with Tritium on the size of the bat links,

Fear not for , if you post a pic, it will be scrutinized (happens to every one).

I have no doubt you already had different plans.

We all do similar things , use the wire that is available, and in this case since we are talking about a substantially lower charging current then lets say the output to an inverter... I have no problem with this setup (as temp)
Rover

MagicValleyHPV

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2011, 01:01:56 AM »
Fear not for , if you post a pic, it will be scrutinized (happens to every one).
Yes, I had reservations about posting with my terminal-less 'temps' boldly displayed. But I agree that it's good to scrutinize because someone may spot something critical that the poster was completely unaware of. It's all good, and I appreciate the wisdom (and sharp eyes) this group provides. [which reminds me.. I need to clean up those electrolyte droplets prior to next photo shoot:D]  
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 01:04:15 AM by MagicValleyHPV »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2011, 10:38:30 AM »

Hmmm... Rotate the bank 180 degrees so Pos it at the top.   ???
That way the charging electrons will not have to flow up hill!
 ;D
G-

MagicValleyHPV

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 10:30:33 AM »
H
mmm... Rotate the bank 180 degrees so Pos it at the top.   ???
That way the charging electrons will not have to flow up hill!
 ;D
G-
Gotcha!...

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 10:52:52 AM »
LOL.  That's better!

FYI-  The current batch of ($72.68 yesterday) Sam's Club 6V Energizer stickers say "Made by Johnson Control".
I figure Sams and Costco would be the same battery, at least for now.
G-
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 11:00:43 AM by ghurd »

WindriderNM

• some days you get the bear some days the gets you
    • WindriderNM
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 04:31:58 PM »
I made a tool to remove and replace wing nuts from a 6/16 deep socket wench. I cut a groove in it with an angle grinder then use an adapter to fit my cordless drill. I have 14 batteries and this saves a lot of time when I need to clean the connections.
~~~WindriderNM (Electron Recycler)~~~   
~~~Keep Those Electrons Flowing~~~