Author Topic: Utility Pole cost  (Read 51509 times)

Steve Trumann

Re: Utility Pole cost
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2011, 12:11:06 PM »
Hi guys
I can personally say putting a jenny on a pole is the hard way. And I agree that guy does have an attitude. But let me show you some pictures of what I done back in 1981. This is a home brew 13 ft. gen on approximately 35 ft in the air. Yes you put it together piece by piece. I was a young buck back then, now I prefer an easier way. The guy wires I put on that pole was 5/8
wire rope. I too was worried about the pole snapping from all the forces put on it.

By the way Freejuice, I live approximately an hour from you. If you ever need some extra help with your system, send me pm, I'll Gladly come and help you out if I can.
Steve Trumann

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2011, 08:54:54 PM »
   have  make   more power) and who  says you cant make a wood tower any way?    ::)   hayfarmer
(Attachment Link)

The more I study that machine, the more I have to admire it.
--
Chris

Harold in CR

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2011, 09:15:49 PM »
YUP. That Gin is about what I tried to explain. I just put plates on each side of where the pipe 90° is. That 4KW was a HEAVY sucker.

Steve Trumann

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2011, 09:39:45 PM »
Thanks Chris. I couldn't afford my own Jake, so I copied as much in principal of it as I could. The blades were copied off of Jacobs blades with a blade duplicator. I left the ends flat to fit my situation. The weak link in the system was the gearbox. I used an old hand grinder. Wish I had built a gear box like yours.
Steve Trumann

Rover

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2011, 09:49:25 PM »
Steve.. yep ... proved its do able.. scary, yet do-able.. Kudos

back to the "out to the out of he box" ...

Money not a concern?? ROI ... Not in your legacies (any of them)  future? .... But here goes... out of the box....

Dig a Silo,  put in a a hydraulic lift (search home elevators)   .  Proper collar and lock to handle elevated extension for full height.

:) .... tongue in cheek .

Really out of the box... Earth tether to pole to mill at some earth orbit

Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

mykidsbutler

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2011, 10:25:02 PM »
Anybody here tried a "telephone pole" instead of a tower?
Hows cost diff. and how did it work for you?

Back to one of the questions at hand- the cost of a pole. The power company i work for here in central Virginia will give away used poles just to get rid of them. Just go to the storeroom at one of the district offices. I'll bet other power companies do the same. Only thing to worry about is how to get a forty or fifty footer home on the back of your pickup  ::) ;D

Harold in CR

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2011, 08:21:53 AM »

Towing a long pole is not that big of a problem.  Take a Boat trailer, for instance. Put the trailer under the BALANCE POINT of the pole.

Rig up a stout pull bar, using a piece of heavy wall tube. Buy a ball hitch that will fit OVER the tube. Bolt it THROUGH the top hole on the pole. Wrap a couple turns of a heavy ratchet strap around the far end of that square tube, and secure it very well. Keep about 75# of tongue weight for that hitch, and rig up a simple tail light-stop light and attach it to the end of the pole. Nail a couple hand held red flags on the end of the pole. Get a buddy to follow for lookout of idiots, and do it in the daytime, all on back roads.  ;D ;D

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2011, 09:07:43 AM »
you hawt guys seem to need to fix stuff on your mills all the time  :o
 so why not make it easy to put them up and down?
pepa's idea is good one .
 but, if you start with something like a trebuchet ,
place your windmill on one end and a large water tank on the other.
if you want it up, fill the tank with water
 if you want it down let the water drain out.

You get that impression, but remember it's only a small fraction of the total turbines being built and used that post here with problems.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2011, 10:28:42 AM »
just consider that remark as a good natured razz.
like  when  buddy gives you a nudge.
every one knows this is the place to learn how to build and fix.

in a pinch, i can carry one of my vertical mills over my shoulder from the shop to the front fence.
but  two guys makes it easier.
my tower requirements  are,
4 feet away from the towns  hydro lines, but  tall enough to keep the spinning bit out of reach of kids and there hockey sticks.
just  like putting a stick on the spokes of a bike wheel. it makes a cool sound that young people find hard to resist.

Wisdom Bear

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2011, 12:28:58 PM »
A new fifty foot pole will weigh between 1500 and 2200 pounds and cost $500 to 850USD with delivery extra.

To set that pole there would have to be an 18 or 24-inch augured hole eight to ten feet deep. Trenching and cable lift might be possible but is a weaker solution over time from the ground disturbance.

There are regional specialized contractors who do nothing but set utility line poles & have stock to choose from and the tools to set them.

Supposing now you have a 42' pole set in your choice of positions - then what?

I have been busy here for a while. Didn't have time nor care to respond to being put in "Time out" for my questions or my challenge to you guys to "Think out of the BOX". I seemed to have hurt someones feelings! And I expect to be put in "Time out" again for this. But I did get people talking about and thinking about what I had to say. Maybe a new light bulb will glow.

To answer the above.
I have been told and have the number for the man that I need to talk to, That I can get used poles from the Power company here in eastern Alabama for free. That is a very good PRICE.

I'm not sure about you guys but I am 58 years old and can still dig a 8' post hole with my post hole diggers. And yes you would need to add handles for that.
A good way to set the pole would be to wrap it in a boot that you can get "JUST for poles in the ground", seal it in concrete. Then you need guide wire from near the top to ground. "Kind of like your metal poles"
Now you have a fixed tower that has cost you mostly less than $ 500.00 including spikes, cables, connectors and anchors to climb it on.
I understand that there is maintenance to be done at the mill. IE. grease, tighten nuts and what ever.
These can be done from these spikes.
For the one that later on ask about getting smashed from moving blades. Guy, don't you lock down the system before you service it?
Lineman have been doing this for more than 100 years. They install transformers all day long with out lift truck or Crane.

When I challenged you to "Think out of your BOX" this is what I had in mind. I am sure that someone here can show a pole clamped lift to lift the mill in place!
If not, then "Think out of the box" and design a mill that can be taken apart at the top of the pole piece by piece.

What worth does this have?  Hmmm about $ 2500.00 according to you guys and your cost for a metal pole.

Let me see. I have to service the mill once a month? Or 4 times a year?
I just go out and get my grease gun, oil and safety belt. Climb pole, grease and oil then climb down. Took me less than 30 minutes.
How long and how much help do you need to let your metal pole down to do the same? Oh then you have to put it back up.

Am I being a smart a**? NO just want you to see that there is other ways to do things and sometimes they may be better for some. Instead of putting someone that asks in "Time Out" to think.

Now don't go and get your feelings hurt.

I gave my phone number and told you if you couldn't figure it out call me and ask. NO one called.
What? Am I to new here to know any thing.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2011, 01:35:03 PM »
Lineman have been doing this for more than 100 years. They install transformers all day long with out lift truck or Crane.

Umm.  Even a small transformer like a GE 22860Y 120/240 single phase, 100 kVa weighs 366 lbs.  Every one I've ever seen installed is lifted up there with a boom truck and OSHA regulations specifically prohibit anybody from being on the pole while that transformer is being installed.
--
Chris

Wisdom Bear

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2011, 02:28:46 PM »
OK Chris you WIN!

But I wonder how they got them there before your boom truck and OSHA?

Why make waves? Why can't you "Think out of your box"?

You guys seem to have ONLY one way to do things. It's your way or NO way!
If your NOT interested, why get involved?

It can be done and you know it. When was the last time OSHA was at your place to make sure you were doing everything their way?

That kind of answer is why I get just a little short with you guys.

But that doesn't matter to me. I have access to a boom truck if I wanted it.
And others could rent one for a couple of hours from a sign company if they need it.

Again the POINT is it can be done with poles cheaper than with metal!

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2011, 03:03:08 PM »
Wisdom Bear;

You seem to just want everyone to agree you are right and that just ain't gonna happen.

You need to understand the contents of the box before you can think beyond it. Or even know where the box is.

So knock it off with the combative out of the box trash talk.

The attitude stuff will get you nowhere here. Period. End Quote.

Remember you came to us so show some wisdom, be nice and try to learn before you burn too many bridges.

Thanks.

Tom

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2011, 06:34:41 PM »

Well, I would suggest just do it and post pictures to show us how it's done.

Nobody said you can't do it - there's various reasons why you shouldn't.  One is that a utility pole makes a pi$$ poor turbine tower even in an open area because it's not high enough.  There's no way you can get a wind turbine to perform when it's dealing with ground-based turbulence.  60 feet is absolute minimum, 80 is better, 120 is better yet.

If you've never flown a wind turbine you'll find all this out.  Thinking out of the box is good but I happen to know what's in the box and that's the first thing you have to have before you can truly think outside it.  It appears that you still have to discover what's in the box when it comes to wind power.  I AM interested in anybody that wants to fly a turbine, and their project.  But I like to see turbine installations that work and are safe, otherwise it just gives wind power a bad rap.  Cobbling something together with a large turbine is dangerous.  Period.  With wind power you'll find that there's all sorts of ways to cut corners the first time and have it not work, or worse yet have somebody get killed or injured.  A turbine with 12, 14 or 16 foot blades on it is not a toy and the forces they generate in high winds is beyond anything you would expect if you have no experience with wind power.

Tom is right - you seem to want to be somewhat argumentative over this power pole deal.  So I won't comment on it anymore - just do it.  Remember when it doesn't work as you expected that you were told why.
--
Chris

Wisdom Bear

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2011, 07:05:17 PM »
Thank You Chris

I don't believe that I have ever said that it is the very best way. But what I would like to know, is it a way? Could I or someone else put up 2 1500 watt wind mills for half the cost of 1 3000 watt and make it work?

I have already decided to use this system. I knew that what I had to do was document it, pictures and drawings. NO good at drawings but will find the help.

And also, The place that you are at has everything to do with how high you need to go.
I am talking about where I am at. Not where anyone else is at.

Because of location I or others may be able to do more than others? With less? Who knows.

I am not here to fight you or anyone else.
I am here to learn and to share.
What are others here for?

Building a 3000 watt wind mill is pretty standard as far as the Generator part is concerned.
The savings may only be in the tower that holds it up.

I will post things as I go.
What I ask is that you and others look at it honestly and see if it may work.
Again, I am not looking for the way to make the most, but maybe to make the most for less.
Dollar verse watts.

By the way, I have been after this for about 20 years. This is NOT my first day. I have a lot to learn but don't WE all.
I have read and read and read. Now it is time to put it into practice.

And for TomW. I never asked for everyone to AGREE with me. What I asked for is that you open your eyes and see another way.
Everyone needs to understand that the only way that we have grew is that someone asked the HARD questions.
Get Over it TomW.

Now dump me again. Or put me in "Time OUT" I don't really care as you are the loser not me. TomW figure that out if you can.
My question and answers may be very important in the future.

Maybe not.
Who knows? Do you.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 07:11:45 PM by Wisdom Bear »

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2011, 07:11:51 PM »

Well, I would suggest just do it and post pictures to show us how it's done.

Nobody said you can't do it - there's various reasons why you shouldn't.  One is that a utility pole makes a pi$$ poor turbine tower even in an open area because it's not high enough.  There's no way you can get a wind turbine to perform when it's dealing with ground-based turbulence.  60 feet is absolute minimum, 80 is better, 120 is better yet.

If you've never flown a wind turbine you'll find all this out.  Thinking out of the box is good but I happen to know what's in the box and that's the first thing you have to have before you can truly think outside it.  It appears that you still have to discover what's in the box when it comes to wind power.  I AM interested in anybody that wants to fly a turbine, and their project.  But I like to see turbine installations that work and are safe, otherwise it just gives wind power a bad rap.  Cobbling something together with a large turbine is dangerous.  Period.  With wind power you'll find that there's all sorts of ways to cut corners the first time and have it not work, or worse yet have somebody get killed or injured.  A turbine with 12, 14 or 16 foot blades on it is not a toy and the forces they generate in high winds is beyond anything you would expect if you have no experience with wind power.

Tom is right - you seem to want to be somewhat argumentative over this power pole deal.  So I won't comment on it anymore - just do it.  Remember when it doesn't work as you expected that you were told why.
--
Chris

Seeing anything form this whole deal is unlikely, unless he learns to type with one of those things like Stephen Hawking uses, paralysis caused by falling tends to slow ya down some, I've been in construction for 32 years, most of it spent hanging from the edge of various structures on swing stages and bosuns chairs and spider baskets, my opinion is that working with heavy objects more than six inches off the ground is best avoided at all costs, gravity don't give no do overs.
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2011, 07:18:16 PM »

And for TomW. I never asked for everyone to AGREE with me. What I asked for is that you open your eyes and see another way.
Everyone needs to understand that the only way that we have grew is that someone asked the HARD questions.
Get Over it TomW.

Now dump me again. Or put me in "Time OUT" I don't really care as you are the loser not me. TomW figure that out if you can.
My question and answers may be very important in the future.

Maybe not.
Who knows? Do you.

ROTFLMAO! Your questions and "answers" don't mean squat pard, and they never will, YOU need to get over YOURSELF.

Tritium

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2011, 11:37:21 PM »
I have about a dozen 40' poles and I would like nothing better than to use them for wind turbines since the cost was $0 but I cannot think of any way to get a turbine up to the 60 or 80' level without having a structure resembling a catapult of sorts and that would have some bad engineering problems to deal with but might be doable. It would make more sense to use some oil field pipe I have which was also free (30' pieces) and weld up a wide based free standing tower. IMHO a tower is the most expensive part of a wind turbine installation excepting support electronics of course.

Thurmond

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2011, 02:50:51 AM »
"I never asked for everyone to AGREE with me".
You very aggressively told them why they are wrong, and you are right (even if you do not know anything about it).

"What I ask is that you and others look at it honestly and see if it may work."
It may.  They said that.
They also said it has already been done many times.

This is monumental-
"Everyone needs to understand that the only way that we have grew is that someone asked the HARD questions."
That is not at all 'out of the box'.  It is in a box, that is in a box, that is in THE box.
Nearly everyone already did what you propose:  A short tower that does not tip down.
I know of a couple on delimbed trees.  Just a few minutes with a chain saw.  No phone pole to transport, no foundation, no post hole digger, no guys, no nothing, except a delimbed tree.

"I am here to learn"
"Could I or someone else put up 2 1500 watt wind mills [at utility pole heights] for half the cost of 1 3000 watt [up in the air] and make it work [reasonably well]?"
That is Windmill 101.
I will not go into the very simple basic math on that, but the answer is no.

"I have already decided to use this system."
Obviously.

"I am not here to fight you or anyone else."
Obviously you want someone to tell you it is a good idea that nobody ever conceived before.
OK then, here you go;   it is a great new outside of the box idea that will work perfect and be extremely cost effective.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 02:56:47 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2011, 07:44:04 AM »
Everything Glen said.

Especially the it is a great new outside of the box idea that will work perfect and be extremely cost effective. part. To which I would add. Thanks for sharing it.

That was me being nice.

This is me being honest:

I think you missed so many simple points that are very well understood in this field that you are obviously as clueless as a new born puppy.

There you go.

Brutal; honesty or sweetness and light you choose your answer.

I am out of this thread.

Tom

jlt

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2011, 12:12:17 PM »
I would not put anything  larger than a 5ft turbine on a single wood pole . Any thing  larger will snap the pole off . At 67years old I could dig  a 8ft hole if i wanted to . But i don't. I would take all the free poles that i could find for free. Then saw them in 8ft lengths they make good fence posts . Or sell them and buy Some steel tubing. I found about 20 Pieces of 10 inch tubing for $1.75 a ft.

kitestrings

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2011, 04:42:11 PM »
Well this has taken some interesting turns.  I had a good laugh at a few spots.

When I was about half my age now, I had the fortune of servicing, repairing, leveling, releveling, releveling agian a bunch - Neilho and I must worked on dozens - of turbines utility poles.  They were mostly 1.5-2 kW, but some as large as 4 kW.  Mostly downwind HAWT.  I'd be surprised if any of them are still operating.

I have to agree with Chris, the make a terrible tower for anything of any size.  The pole top adapters were perpetually loosing and shifting as the fasteners wore into place, soon and affected the yaw.  I also frequently found they had issues with vibration - hitting a natural frequency (all different) at some sweet-spot rpm.  There also generally too short unless they're huge.  I recall one in MA that I couldn't get my lanyard around at the base.

They can be put up without a bucket or crane- we did them almost exclusively with ratchet-strapped winch and gin pole assemblies, but you have to be careful.

Chris, you may have meant 10 kVA?  100 kVA is quite large, and I'm thinking ~900#, but I could be wrong.  At the Coop here they still put up transformers in similar fashion:

~kitestrings

beyonder

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2011, 05:57:09 PM »
Wisdom :
    Please chill dude, this is the BEST forum on the net, trust me...I've been on many other forums and asked simple questions, been told they were dumb, stupid...go get an education,etc lol.  These guys know there $#|+ man, and they're kind enough to take the time to answer all of our newbie questions.  Especially those out of the box ones.  I suggest you read the Otherpower website....every project,etc  you'll see they started out the same place as you and I. They're speaking from experience.  Anyways that being said;

For your pole idea it depends on where you get your pole, and what type of pole.  Don't forget the environmental regulations and the permit process.  I have never raised a wind turbine, but i have had 3 poles put into the ground for me.   An untreated pole runs around 600.00, treated and certified runs about 900.00 ( Here in Canada ), the cheapest i ever paid was 2500.00 for the pole, having the hole drilled and having the pole put in the ground.  None of these used concrete,etc....they just drilled the hole and dropped it in.   The Depth varied on all 3 as well, the shallowest being 5 feet, the deepest being 12ft.  The most expensive cost me just over 10 000.  90% of these are the labor, the pole costs were the same.   You may be able to drill 8ft down for your hole, but how do you plan to get the pole in the ground?  They used a very large crane truck to do it for me.  ( I'm all for DIY, but some things are just to damn dangerous to do by myself.... )

You also have to look at the economics of this, how many times are you going to have to replace that pole in it's life, now where i live in canada they replace most poles every 10yrs or so....BUT we have extreme cold in the winter ( -20 to - 30 ) and extreme heat in the summer ( up to about 45 ), I'm not sure on the conversion if your in the states,  back this up with high winds ( 60 - 100 Km/hr gusts are not uncommon here ).  It wreaks havoc on these poles, many of them are almost always leaning,etc and split up the middle.  So if you had to have a crane truck in to do this ( which i really think you would / should have ) you're looking around 450/hr ( my local prices ) to do it....plus the cost of the new pole.  If you get your pole for free, you have ask yourself WHY? If they were good, the power company would be using them...not tossing them away.  Also transportation is a huge issue, you need to look into your local laws, here the longest you can transport without a permit is 40 ft.  Anything bigger requires a permit and 2 wide load vehicles ( regardless of width ). Any poles i had brought in were brought in on the crane truck.   The guys with the steel pole / towers replace them what...every 50  - 100 years?  ideally of course, so if you figure 10 yrs service life out of a telephone pole, you will be replacing it 5 to 10 times in the same time time frame as the ones with the steel pole / tower have done once. 

That being said, I have thought the same idea as you before;  If I were going to use a telephone pole i would either build the turbine housing to slip around the telephone pole so that it would slip up and down, this being the safest way i could think of,  the problem would be that the housing would be massive and weigh several hundred pounds, not incl the internal workings of the generator.  Like the others said, this would put massive stress on the pole, this would reduce the poles lifespan even greater.   But i would use a cable system, along with some sort of an actuated locking system to lock it in place when at the desired height, so that i could raise and lower it like a flag.   Biggest problem is the poles are tapered.

The other way I considered was building lifted platform out of 4 - 6 poles ( i had thought to use the base as a shop, a middle platform as an office,etc and the top to mount a turbine )  I don't like the idea of tilting towers, i prefer fixed things, this is just a personal thing, i don't like the idea of having to tilt it down every 3 or 4 months or ever for that matter, again its just a personal thing.  Anyways the tower idea was  to use the roof as a platform for oiling,etc or if it did have to tilt,etc i had thought of tilting at the roof line for ease.   The problem with both idea's is the poles, they just wont last long enough, they're convenient for the time being but in the long run they run a huge amount of wasted time and wasted money, in my opinion anyways.   

Another thing to think about, yous aid your....58? or 68? i don't remember, you're not going to have that many years left of climbing that pole to oil it,etc....so in your situation i tilting pole would make more sense in my opinion anyways.  You have to ask yourself....when your 70 / 80 are you going to be comfortable sending one of your kids or your grand kids up there to oil that turbine?  Answer that honestly to yourself and you'll find your answer to whether or a telephone pole tower is suited for your application or not . ( I'm 28 and have 5 kids, my answer would be no in my situation ).

Something to point out, I've been toying with the idea of a self lubricating turbine ( note here i have never build a windmill nor the power generating components, but i do have the tools, ability, etc to build this.... ).  This might alleviate the problem of climbing that pole when your into your 80's, i would run oil lines down the pole and utilize the heat  for a heating application as well... keep your eyes open in the forum, I'm sure i'll be asking a ton of questions there about these things....

Don't get me wrong, I am all for thinking out of the box.....the tower building idea led me to 'I wanna build a castle' lol.... my g/f thought that was nuts lol,  I plan to start construction the end of this summer ( moving clear across Canada to, about 5300 km from here so i can do it ).

Clarence

hysteresis

• Ether Acceleration
Re: Utility Pole Clown
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2011, 10:41:30 PM »
I can only say this one way:( --->  This "No wisdom" guy is a clown.

The patience and interest and focus you good people who run this place have had with him is in itself commendable.  8)

He's basically unteachable, and challenges you to dump him and responds in denial like some of the wise-guy people fired on the apprentice and think they are right and everyone else is wrong when they are in the taxicab going home afterwards.

Also bear in mind that ALL and ANY wooden utility poles in use that house transformers, have feed lines coming and going to them, and in places where the line goes off from a straight run, have guy's and multiple guy cables running up the pole on the opposite side. Poles that run straight along roads with no guy wires are all leaning in the direction that the dominant wind blows after they have been in place for years out in the open prairies. The drag of the wind blowing across the wires is tonnes of pressure.

This guy needs to get some yellow rope from HF and go out into the open tie it at 12 foot up on a pole or tree and stretch it out 250 feet perpendicular to the wind and try and hold it totally tight 8 feet up in the air standing up with it not bowing in the wind - when it's blowing at 28 MPH and gusts to 35 on a real windy day. It's not possible. The drag of the wind on that rope is nearly several hundred pounds of pull in the gusts. With utility poles that have wire runs on them, this condition is all the more as such.

The lateral pressure on the pole from the side of the dominant wind would warrant such a constraint on a pole with a large blade and subsequent pressure vector on the pole.

ALL of the statements which compare metal to wood structures here are ironclad - particularly with respect to the dissipation of harmonics caused by the rotation and the wind itself.

People have a tendency to think that wood is not going to vibrate. Out in the open prairies, the straight runs of utility lines on gravel road will have an oscillating harmonic vibration of about 200-300 cycles that goes up and down from 60 to 120db at 5-8 cycles per second which is loud enough to hear across the road and 200 feet into the yard. This occurs with winds perpendicular to the lines (south in this case on an E-W line) and the wind is running steady between 18 and 30 MPH; and only seems to occur when the temperature is in a range between -5 and +15 F. If you go and put your ear to a guy wire on one of these poles, the sound is deafening. I've tried to record it with little mikes on cameras, but the wind on open mikes makes popping noise, and even somewhat if they are covered with things, and it records it, but not as good as the ear hears it. The poles are vibrating at this frequency and interacting with the wires. The sound is along the entire run for over 6 miles. Anyone else out in the open where the wind is blowing ever hear this?

(I suppose that in itself is another topic :)
======hys======

windvision

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2011, 11:01:58 PM »
Gentlemen:

I'm not one to be mean, but in reality....Given the attitude, the inability to listen, and the apparent lack of understanding as Tom so eloquently put it, do you really think it will be built???  Let's move on.

IF it is built and it does work and it is new thinking with great results, I will try to be the first to congratulate him. (I have a feeling some of you will beat me to it though)                               Good luck!!

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2011, 12:24:24 AM »
Chris, you may have meant 10 kVA?  100 kVA is quite large, and I'm thinking ~900#, but I could be wrong.  At the Coop here they still put up transformers in similar fashion:

kitestrings - you're right.  I looked at the tag on that transformer and it says weight 866, not 366.  It's a 100 kVa.  I got it for free on one of those "good deals" and it's laying in my machine shed on a pallet.  Never found a use for it and then I found out getting rid of it is a nightmare because anybody that's licensed or qualified to dispose of it wants a lot of money because the oil has never been changed in it and it's got PCB's in it.

If you come across a "good deal" where you can get an old used utility transformer for free, don't take it.
--
Chris

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2011, 01:20:51 AM »
here's a decent argument for a steel tower. 

i recently put up a 70'   4" tube guyed tower.  granted i scrounged as best as i could, welded as best i could, ebayed as best i could, and worked as best i could...  but that's pretty damned cheap!

pipe:                      $400
rigging:                  $500
concrete:                $450
water jet cutting:     $100
misc welding stuff:   $100

(all in USD)

and no, it won't rot out in 10 years, and yes i can lower it in 10 minutes, though honestly, i think i'm a little nutty like wisdom bear in the fact that i think it'd be a riot to be on the tower stub, in a harness, during a raising.  or just to jug up a rope to the top when it's already raised.  either way would be fun, and give great photo op's.

adam

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2011, 01:50:28 AM »
... though honestly, i think i'm a little nutty like wisdom bear in the fact that i think it'd be a riot to be on the tower stub, in a harness, during a raising.  or just to jug up a rope to the top when it's already raised.  either way would be fun, and give great photo op's.
adam

How about just tying your camera to the tower and raising it?  Save your poor family the heart-attack of seeing you up there!   :D

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Steve Trumann

« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2011, 07:07:35 AM »
Hey Kitestrings

That's an interesting tracked vehicle in your photo. It would be nice to have one of those to play with. Can you tell me anything more about it?

Steve Trumann

STYME JONES

« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2011, 07:20:16 AM »
Anybody here tried a "telephone pole" instead of a tower?
Hows cost diff. and how did it work for you?     USE A NEW STEEL TELEPHONE POLE. AROUND $1000 AND MAKE IT SO IT TILTS DOWN WITH GUY WIRES. ???

Tritium

« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2011, 01:37:28 PM »

kitestrings - you're right.  I looked at the tag on that transformer and it says weight 866, not 366.  It's a 100 kVa.  I got it for free on one of those "good deals" and it's laying in my machine shed on a pallet.  Never found a use for it and then I found out getting rid of it is a nightmare because anybody that's licensed or qualified to dispose of it wants a lot of money because the oil has never been changed in it and it's got PCB's in it.

If you come across a "good deal" where you can get an old used utility transformer for free, don't take it.
--
Chris

OOH,  big tesla coil waiting to happen :o . Now that would be a dump load worth watching!  ;D

Thurmond

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2011, 05:46:05 PM »
Hey Kitestrings

That's an interesting tracked vehicle in your photo. It would be nice to have one of those to play with. Can you tell me anything more about it?

Steve Trumann

Most likely it's just a track kit on an ATV.  If you google "track kit" you'll find more info than you probably need... just take a deep breath before you see prices :o
They also make them for pickups and, again, the price is... :o

From atvtracks.net:

Steve Trumann

« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2011, 08:47:40 PM »
Thanks Zap for the info on the tracks. They're sweet. But I haven't won the lottery yet.

Steve Trumann