Author Topic: Window Air conditioning with rubbing alcohol  (Read 16905 times)

Atokatim

Window Air conditioning with rubbing alcohol
« on: March 27, 2011, 11:53:24 PM »
Well, I have this wonderful idea of an energy efficient air conditioning window unit....  I have seen Einsteins ammonia based cooler but since ammonia is so hard to get a hold of, I was thinking of other chemicals to use that are easy to come by.  My first thought is 91% rubbing alcohol since it evaporates easily and is pretty cold when it does.  I recently bought an inexpensive heater core for a vehicle to use as the "radiator" and I am using an air brush to blow air and control how much alcohol is sprayed into the core.  Since the air brush has a venturi valve, I can get a pretty nice mist then stop the mist for a second to let the air evaporate the alcohol.  The biggest problem is...  The outlet must be wide open since air has to be moved though the system.  This is causing the alcohol to simply disappear into the air.

I am wondering if anyone has ever tried anything like this with alcohol?  It does seem to work pretty well once you get the right mixture of air and alcohol moving though the system.  Since using an air compressor is not the way to go since it brings an outside element into a supposed to be "closed" system, is there another way to get a fine mist and air moving though the system to start the evaporation process?  Is using alcohol to cool even a feasible idea to try?

As you can see, I think WAY outside the box on a lot of things and try to recreate already created things but with possibly better efficiency.  This project is really new and I am still learning the way heat exchangers and refrigeration works.  Feel free to post some ideas or criticize me :p

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?
Re: Window Air conditioning with rubbing alcohol
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 12:06:31 AM »
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're doing but it sounds like an alcohol carburetor and aside from the danger of inhaling iso-propyl alcohol fumes which are toxic, when the vapor concentration gets high enough to ignite you'll be having a bad day.

Atokatim

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 12:24:27 AM »
Yeah, that is the other danger behind it as well, but this system is supposed to be a closed system (No leaks at all like the Einstein version) and is just for my personal use in my shed.  I was also thinking of other chemicals to use that are safer, but can't think of any that I can get at my local Walmart that will work :p  During first stage testing, everything is done outside in a WELL ventilated area.  First test results are 22.5 degrees output which is a good sign, but I do agree with finding a better chemical that will not explode :P

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 12:32:51 AM »
In concept you're ok, but there are several problems with doing what you intend to do.

What you're doing is essentially an 'inside out' version of the Einstein system, and so you are venting your refrigerant. The key to a closed loop system is just that - a closed loop. For this, you either need a compressor (Carnot cycle), or some other method of compressing and manipulating the refrigerant to recover it so it can do more work.

Einstein's system works on a different idea than the Carnot cycle (compressor), and cools in 'pulses' rather than in a continuous flow. The  gaseous refrigerant in an Einstein cycle system is first heated to 'compress' it (fire works), it then moves to another chamber where it is cooled. At this point it condenses to a liquid as it gives up the heat. When the majority of the gas has condensed, the heat is removed, and the refrigerant begins to evaporate, absorbing heat in the process. The cycle must be repeated when all of the liquid has turned back into a gas. During 'compression', the unit does not provide any cooling.

Both systems have the refrigerant completely contained in a closed system.

There are also continuous cycle versions of the Einstein system, but it is much more complicated than the simple 'cold pot' version.

Alcohol doesn't make an ideal refrigerant because of its thermal properties. This is why anhydrous ammonia or freon is used. They have much better suited thermal properties for use as refrigerants.

Anhydrous ammonia can be obtained rather easily, depending on your knowledge of chemistry. Getting it from supply outlets will turn heads however.

I'm not going to say that alcohol can't be made to work, but it is just not really cut out for the job.

Hope this helped.

Steve

EDIT - Realized I had confused the two technologies, even though they are very closely related:

"Icy Ball" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icy_Ball - Manually cycled (as described above) refrigeration. Very simple, no moving parts.

Einstein fridge - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_refrigerator - as mentioned above - Automatic operation, more complicated, but still no moving parts.

Carnot cycle - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refrigeration_cycle - "Standard" refrigerator and air conditioner systems. Needs a compressor.

Both the Icy Ball and the Einstein cycle use Ammonia as the refrigerant. The Carnot cycle typically uses freon, although in high volume systems ammonia is also employed.

Steve

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 01:03:58 AM by Madscientist267 »
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

Atokatim

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 01:47:35 AM »
Thanks for the feedback!  I will more than likely try different chemicals that are easy to get a hold of and try different setups to see if there is any set up worth using.  The alcohol does not seem to work as well as expected but I still have one other setup I want to try with it..... In a completely closed setup of course.

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 06:45:24 AM »
The various forms of LPG work as well - propane, butane etc. The main requirement is to be able to convert from liquid to gas and back at the temperatures you're looking at - may require pressure to get onto the correct part of the PV curve. Big freezing works (10,000s of carcases a day) use this technology.
Robin Down Under (Or Are You Up Over)

BigBreaker

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 12:34:57 PM »
Indeed - hydrocarbons like butane, isobutane and propane all have their own codes as a refrigerant (R-600a for isobutane, eg).  They make fine, cheap refrigerants and are obviously available without any licensing.  Of course they are also flammable but commonly very little is needed in cooler and there should be no oxygen in the refrigerant loop anyhow.  DIY car forums and HVAC forums are decent places to read up on how to safely use HCs as refrigerants.  The common reason to use them in cars is that they make good replacements for R-12 and other banned refrigerants.