Author Topic: SMALL BATTERY BANK  (Read 2808 times)

Somdin

SMALL BATTERY BANK
« on: May 10, 2011, 01:04:56 PM »
Im just getting my feet wet with wind energy and I wanted to make sure Im getting this right

Heres what I got

50 ft triangle tower and a PMA turbine
Intella Charge controller and rectifier
X4 Eliminator 12v Deep cycle batteries with 100 AMH
X1 Eliminator 2000w Inverter

Heres how I figure they need to be Connected

PMA-----Down Tower-----Rectifier/Charge Controller-----Batteries(in paralell)-----Inverter-----Load

Does this sound right?
I just dont want to end up shorting somthing or zapping myself

Rover

Re: SMALL BATTERY BANK
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 03:40:24 PM »
"PMA-----Down Tower-----Rectifier/Charge Controller-----Batteries(in paralell)-----Inverter-----Load"

I'm not familiar with the charge controller, maybe someone else will chime in. But if it uses some form of dump mechanism to dump off the rectified side you are ok .

There are other subtle variations that are acceptable (Rectify before going down tower etc) . However your scheme is how I do it, without the charge controller, dumping off batteries instead, rectifier straight to batteries. Yout charge controler may have this as part of it, make sure.

PMA-----Down Tower-----Rectifier-----Batteries(in paralell)-----Inverter-----Load
                                                       |
                                                       |
                                                 Dump Controler ----- dump control load
Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

Somdin

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 01:36:23 PM »
So far as I know the rectifier/controller has a built in mechanism to switch to dump load when not charging the batteries

I was hopeing to use a water heater element as my dump load so that any extra goes to some good
seeing as this wont be grid tied

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 05:38:07 PM »
You need to be absolutely certain how the controller works, basically it's never a good idea to have a device like that in between the turbine and the batteries, a real charge controller will be hooked up like Rovers diagram, it monitors the batteries and dumps power from them at a predetermined setting.
If you have a device like that between the batteries and turbine and it malfunctions you could have a runaway turbine which will smoke the stator.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

Rover

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 05:43:38 PM »
Somdin ,

Do you have  link to the controller, and model #?

Post it in here , might help
Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 12:23:10 AM »
1st thought was RTFM.
Did it come with a manual?

The controller looks like one of those dohickies that disconnects the battery and connects a "braking load".
Apparently, it disconnects the battery and connects a load directly to the car alternator type PMA (car alternator PMA sellers ((like WB)) sell the thing).

Interesting concept that the "over-speed/storm protection" can be set by the charging amps in such a machine.
My understanding is such a machine would either run away (over-speed), or burn up (storm protection).
Did the manual (if included) give any indication on how to size the load?

If it is not to late to return it...

Afraid to ask about the undisclosed (except for 50' up) PMA, but if it is not to late to return it too...
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller