Author Topic: Automated Furling - Variable resistance  (Read 1388 times)

Photon

Automated Furling - Variable resistance
« on: May 11, 2011, 09:17:09 AM »
I have been watching Chris Olson's youtube video's. I must say ive become a fan of his geared 12 G turbines.

My question relates to setting the furling resistance on his or any other members designs. Chris spoke about a conservative furling resistance and an optional `power` setting which is not recommmended.

If the furling system had an actuator or screw type of device, which could use weather warnings or wind speed predictions from Meterology sources to either
a)fully furl during storms
b)conservative setting in high winds
c) `power` setting all other times

This is of course over complicating things, but for low-medium wind sites it may yield better results or not.

Ive never built a turbine but look forward to. This is the newbie section so just thinking out loud..... ::)

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
Re: Automated Furling - Variable resistance
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 05:45:58 PM »
Always go with the KISS principle, especially with a wind turbine, Chris's spring furling is about as simple as it gets and much more easily adjusted than gravity furling, gravity furling has at least four main variables that affect how it works, tail boom length, tail size, the weight of the tail assembly and the angle of the tail hinge tube.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

jlt

Re: Automated Furling - Variable resistance
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 02:36:38 PM »
    Yes I agree Go with kiss.   Also the direct drive. adding gearing greatly complicates the build. If you have the skills anything can be made. But if it's not made well just adds more problems.
     For a first build  stick to a proven simple  design. Like the 7ft other power design.Or even the three ft.And after you one of those flying. start experimenting.