Author Topic: charging batterys  (Read 2207 times)

Beanbread

charging batterys
« on: August 17, 2011, 02:22:45 PM »
Hey all
I have a Sunforce 60 watt panel.My question is, can I charge a MX 500 dirt bike with it?The bike has 3 12 amphour 12 volt batterys in series.

mettleramiel

Re: charging batterys
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 03:49:30 PM »
Not unless it's a 36volt panel, which I doubt. You will have to disconnect the batteries and connect them back into parrallel if you want to use a 12v panel

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 05:01:12 PM »
If you get hold on an old car battery and a cheap inverter, you can let the panel charge the car battery, and with the inverter connected to the car battery, you can use your original charger... If you have a 36V charger, that is... ;)

Or - you can charge one 12V battery at a time (or all three if reconnected in parallel as mentioned earlier); but do keep an eye on the charging process if you doesn't have a solar charger for the panel...
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

Beanbread

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 05:58:39 PM »

The charger is 36 volt at about 1.5 amps.I have a Wal-Mart 140 watt inverter,I guess that will work.
Thanks for the replies.

mettleramiel

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 12:06:39 AM »
Just keep in mind that unless you are going to charge only while the sun is shining, you will need a very large battery. 12v 36ah will barely be enough so you would want about twice that and in deep cycle form, not a car battery. Another thing to consider is this, 36v at 12amps is 432 watts. Your panel is 60watts so on a very good day, you will probably get 240-300watts That means that realisticly,you would have to plan on taking 2-3 days to charge the bike from fully drained.