Author Topic: I have a bergey 10 KW unit here in Wyoming  (Read 1126 times)

dalzielmiller

I have a bergey 10 KW unit here in Wyoming
« on: December 11, 2022, 10:55:56 PM »
I have a bergey 10 KW unit here in Wyoming. I generate about 8,000 kWh per year and it has operated over 15 yrs with little maintenance.  There is a 35 amp fuse at disconnect at base of tower then about 600 ft buried run and a 50 amp fuse on same conductor at entry to inverter. I just blew the 50 amp fuse which is the second time in two years. I guess my question is why the 35 amp fuse is not blowing first. The 35 amp fuse has never blown.

Going to get a backup fuse (busman Fwh-50) butt maybe I should get a 60 amp....?

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: I have a bergey 10 KW unit here in Wyoming
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 02:44:36 AM »
Welcome to Fieldlines, and yes, that's a puzzler!

Different fuse types, eg fast vs slow blow?  One of them getting more natural cooling?  Someone will be along shortly with better guesses.

Rgds

Damon
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 03:23:42 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 01:42:33 PM »
Capacitance/inductance of the wire causing it? Spitball guess, need to know exactly what each type of fuse is...

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 03:53:02 PM »
That's built in with the extra 15 amps to do with thermal losses.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 04:38:47 PM by JW »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 11:47:06 PM »
Good to hear that it's doing well after all this time.
I'm curious too, but there could be many factors at play.  Are the two fuses you're comparing of the same type?
I can track down the response curve of the Bussman fuse you listed as a replacement, so if you can post the p/n of the other fuse then we can compare.

Another thing I have to ask is do you know what could have caused the fuse to blow in the first place?  Or at least guess?

One more random thought: do you have a standby generator?  Would that current also be fed through the same 50A fuse that's blowing?  Really, it's unlikely your system architecture would do that, but hey, this is a DIY forum so anything's possible.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

adobejoe

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2022, 10:22:54 PM »
Dalzeil, I too have a 10k Bergey in Wyoming. Mine has been operational over 18 years.  I have also blown the 50 amp fuse a couple times.  I had an issue with the 35 amp knife switch disconnect at base of tower.  I lost one of the legs and the tower was vibrating.  Took awhile to figure out the problem. Cutter bees.  They made a nest inside disconnect and the materials dropped into one of the knife blade contact, caused it to separate, and then the problem.  I am running one of the old grid tech inverters which needs parts or replacement.  I am located between Cody, and Powell, if you ever get this way look me up.  I also generate about 22 kWh a day or 8,000 per year. There is a picture on my website under the contact tab.  Www.307solar.com.  Andy Rose

adobejoe

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2023, 09:42:47 PM »
I am curious about this poster.  Real person

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2023, 12:41:56 AM »
Well it happens from time to time; somebody signs up, asks a question, gets some kind of response, and that's it.  Depends on their expectations.  If they haven't been reading FL for a while, they won't know us from any other random forum.  They expect very little, so once they get a little, they go away.  Heck, they might think we're all here, just standing by for any random question.  Like the Microsoft user forum.  Gettin' paid big bucks like them too, you never know...

On the other matter.  I doubt it.  I haven't seen 'bots posting on FL much, but I definitely have on other web forums.  Those posts are truly strange and funny and scary all at the same time.  A few of those might be convincing to some, but usually obvious.  It's easier to spot the bots if you are really good at the English language because you can tell when it's just a foreign language speaker's problems versus the odd expressions that AI's come up with.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

adobejoe

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2023, 09:43:18 AM »
I think this is a bot that translated a prior post of mine.  Pretty sure.

MagnetJuice

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2023, 10:42:55 AM »
Yes, dalzielmiller appears to be a joker. His post is a copy and paste of the post from Andy on April 1, 2020 (April fool’s day)  :D

Apparently, he took the name from an online obituary.

That is a way for some twisted souls to entertain themselves.

Ed
What can I do TODAY that would make TOMORROW a better world?

makenzie71

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2023, 01:12:04 PM »
Yes, dalzielmiller appears to be a joker. His post is a copy and paste of the post from Andy on April 1, 2020 (April fool’s day)  :D

Apparently, he took the name from an online obituary.

That is a way for some twisted souls to entertain themselves.

Ed

Good then i don’t mind jacking the topic lol....is 8000kwh annually considered good for an XL10?  That’s an average of <22kw per day...

adobejoe

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2023, 10:50:13 PM »
The unit is a Bergey excel. Rated at 10 kw. Yess 22 kWh is my output
Andy