Author Topic: My PV system - getting more independend by the hour  (Read 12254 times)

Mr_T

My PV system - getting more independend by the hour
« on: July 27, 2011, 12:49:43 PM »
Hello and welcome to my journey towards grid independence!

When I was still a kid I stumbled upon and played with a small 6W solar panel. Soon enough I felt the urge to build my own little PV system, but I lacked both the knowledge and the money to get anywhere. Some time passed, I got older and wiser and just about two years ago I picked up my initial idea again:
Just how off-grid can I get while living a rather normal life in a small flat? Let's find out, shall we?

My setup

Panels installed on my balcony: 60W on the left, 20W on the right. Those produce about 150-350Wh a day despide not seeing any sun until 2:30PM.

2x 50W I got for 136€ off eBay, those babies will go on the roof! I expect to harvest at least another 800-1000Wh on a good day.

12V 120Ah AGM underneath my desk, think I might need more of those soon...

Small box on the left: Charge/discharge/dumoload controller and data logger, good for about 15-20 amps. The wooden box contains two big transformers for on-grid experimentation as well as all the switches for my amplifier, lamps etc. Both are on my desk for easy access.

Not the best 12V CFL in the world I guess, I've had two of those blow up on me for no apparent reason. I repaired and modified the builtin converters to run on 20% lower power and they are working fine now. 4W is more than enough to light up the room. Also got an 11W one (modifierd as well) for when I'm doing precision work.

The controller

It took me a while to design a proper controller, after many failed attempts this is what I came up with:

The solar generators are hooked up to the inputs on the left, the blocking diodes are not inside the regulator for thermal reasons. A voltage divider allows for day/night sensing which is necessary in order to calculate the energy harvested and consumed per day. Right next to the divider is the charge enable/disable switch, which doubles up as a high efficiency reverse blocking diode. The switch is controlled via PWM from a microcontroller, depending on battery voltage it allows more or less current to flow into the battery.
The high impedance driver for the output stage at the upper right allows for low standby current, the resulting turn-on/turn-off delay is no problem since the load is only disconnected in case the battery is discharged or rarely in timer mode. The secondary output can either be used to control a dumpload or control regular loads that need PWM or are to be switched on/off frequently (currently not implemented). In dumpload mode the regulator first tries to maintain constant battery voltage by adjusting the dumpload's PWM according to voltage deviation. In case the dumpload is maxed out and battery voltage is still above the upper limit the regulator will then decrease power trough the input stage.

In order to allow for a common ground connection and much easier circuit design I opted to go with highside switches and current monitors instead of lowside N-channel transistors and shunt resistors. Current sensing is done using ACS714 breakout boards from sparkfun which are good for up to 30 amps with 100mA resolution in my setup. Although the sensors draw about 10mA each the whole regulator only uses about 15mA while charging and a mere 300µA at night since the microcontroller will cut power to the sensors and all other components if not needed.

Summary:
Generators: 1x 12V 20W monocrystalline, 1x 12V 60W monocrystalline, 2x 12V 50V polycrystalline
Batteries: 1x 12V 120Ah AGM
Regulator: 12V 15-20A, PWM on input and dumpload, undervoltage detection, timer, data logger
Illumination: 2x 5W CFL, 1x 11W CFL

That's all for now. Obviously this project will remain a work in progress for quite some time, so check back for updates from time to time! Thanks for reading!
Cheers

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: My PV system - getting more independend by the hour
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 01:41:25 PM »
All looks good to me.

But like all addictions---oh you didn't realise?---it's just one Wh after another!

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 04:11:46 PM »
If I haven't said so already, welcome to the forum!

That's some nice work already. 
I want to look at the schematic more closely when I have time (gotta go now but had to say "Thanks" right away).
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 09:07:57 PM »
Welcome!

"Not the best 12V CFL in the world I guess"?
Then you have not tried the others.

"I've had two of those blow up on me for no apparent reason."
Usually, improper polarity.
The 'tip' is positive.

G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Mr_T

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 05:20:10 AM »
Morning!

Then you have not tried the others.
Yeah, not yet. The ones I repaired are working fine so far, hence no need to buy new ones (yet). I hate throwing stuff away.
Usually, improper polarity. The 'tip' is positive.
These lamps got a builtin reverse polarity protection diode. Actually, I had one specimen which had the positive and negative lead towards the PCB the wrong way round so it wouldn't work with the tip connected to positive...

I had three lamps die on me so far. Two just blew the fuse while running and one did when I flicked the switch to turn it on. In all three cases the switching transistor had failed short. Here's the circuit diagram to explain my modifications:

1) I changed the feedback resistor for one with 220 Ohms in the 11W lamp and for 1k in the 5W ones. While this slightly impairs the output power it sure reduces stress on the transistor.
2 and 3) I observed rather high reverse voltages between Base and Emitter as well between Collector and Emitter so I decided to add freewheeling diodes.
4) (not shown) I got rid of the entire pre-heat circuit.

Furthermore, I finally got around to install my new panels. Obviously, I forgot to take my camera with me and hence there are no picures yet. So more about that later. Also, I built a dumload capable of turning 180W into hot air for doing benchmarks on my system. Again, more details are to follow later.

Cheers

Mr_T

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 11:28:37 AM »
Hi again.

More pictures!

The new panels mounted on our roof. The stand was built using heavy scrap steel for a total weight of around 60kg (120lbs), no way wind will blow away my panels! For added toughness I made sure to place the whole contraption near our evelator's building so wind will have no chance whatsoever. Wiring was done using a total of 20m (60ft) of 6mm² (10AWG) cable which is barely thick enough to carry all the juice without too many losses. Also note that there's plenty of room for more panels ;D

Fan cooled dumpload for benchmarking my system. Uses three 3.3R 50W resistors in parallel and can dump just about 180W on full load. Air exits the heatsink at 100°C+ (200°F+) at all times since the fan speed varies with the power being dumped. Maybe I'll even find some use for all that hot air eventually...

The boring stuff

My system producing roughly 120W of power (and dumping most of it right away) in the late afternoon; 330Wh produced, 40Wh consumed within about 4 hours of medicore weather.

1px horizontally = 2 minute average; 1px vertically = 1/3W
Little test of my charge controller's daily diagram function. Showing the power used and produced over the last few hours the system was running today. Gonna post the diagram of a whole day later this week.
There is also a more detailed diagram availible showing many more values in 1 second resultution. While the resulting pictures are just a little too big (86000*1000px 24bit) to post them on the internet it's of great use when optimizing the system.

Cheers

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 11:37:49 AM »
Interesting stuff!

Never saw a heatsink like that before. Be interested in where it came from?

Everyone uses hot water so that is a great place to "use" the dumped heat.

Thanks for the share.

Tom

Mr_T

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 01:24:33 PM »
Hi.
I bought the heatsink (as well as most other parts) from the german supplier Reichelt. Here's the link to the particular item.

Everyone uses hot water so that is a great place to "use" the dumped heat.
Yeah that's true, although I do not have a use for heat in particular.

I will figure it out, eventually  ;D

Cheers

Mr_T

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 02:25:59 PM »
Mmmmh why the hell can't I edit my posts? That's annoying...

Anyways. I just updated the pictures of my dumpload for better, nicer ones with a ruler (in cm) next to it to point out how small it really is! The heatsink measures only 30x30x100mm (1.2x1.2x4in). I was quite surprised when I got it in the mail yesterday and even more so when I realized how good it actually worked.

Also, I got you an inside shot of what the CFLs look like after I messed with them:

Quite a lot of parts missing. Also note that the RED lead is negative and the BLUE lead is positive (but not in all the lamps!), wth...

Cheers

Mr_T

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 04:36:05 PM »
Evening.

I messed with my diagram plotter a bit today. After some major bugfixing it finally lets me plot a whole day without crashing and values are really to scale now:

You can tell we had some pretty awkward weather today just from looking at the diagram: Everytime the power curve suddenly dipped to below 20W the sun had disappeared and heavy rain set in.....again and again. Makes for a nice example though, I like it :)

Cheers

taylorp035

• Stressed spelled backwards is Desserts
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 09:55:41 PM »
Uses three 3.3R 50W resistors in parallel and can dump just about 180W on full load. Air exits the heatsink at 100°C+ (200°F+) at all times since the fan speed varies with the power being dumped. Maybe I'll even find some use for all that hot air eventually...

I bought 10 of those resistors (1 ohm) for heating my supermileage car engine block.  They did a very nice job at dumping 35-50 watts each, so I could easily imagine your aluminum block hitting temps above 100C.  I think the max rating on them is 260C, so you should be good for now.

Looks like another 120ah battery and maybe a mini windmill would suit your system nicely ;D  Nice job!

Mr_T

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 10:30:44 AM »
Evening.
Yeah, the resistors are good for up to 280°C, the solder will melt way earlier than that. The heatsink is rated 1K/W so with 3x 3.3 ohms in parallel at 14V, dissipating about 180W the heatsink gets quite hot. No complaining from the resistors or the fan though, only the table it sits on eventually starts smelling a bit funny when the weather is fine ;D

Looks like another 120ah battery and maybe a mini windmill would suit your system nicely
Yes I totally agree ;D although I first need to find a way to actually USE all the energy I'm harvesting and I think I got an idea:
Right now I'm using a very inefficient mini fridge to keep my beverages and snacks sorta cool. I measured the power consumption to be 1.2kW per day which is one heck of a lot for 15 liters of usable volume and lukewarm drinks in the hot summer. No way I'm gonna hook it up to my PV system. Instead, I'm going to replace it with a small chest freezer that I will modify to run at just about 5°C. The thick insulation combined with the rather small temperature difference between inside and the ambient air as well as the chest design will make for a very energy efficient fridge. One more step towards being grid independent :)
I sort of stole this idea from Hack a day btw.

Cheers

Mr_T

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 05:31:18 PM »
Finally and update again!
It's been a while and I have been very busy with my new job, but nevertheless I have been tinkering with my system and the extra money came in very handy!

Regulator updates
Most importantly, I rebuilt the regulator from scratch. This is actually something I had wanted to do for several months since the old design could only take about 12 amps of current before the transistors inside the box started getting dangerously hot. I solved that problem by attaching all power transistors to a rather big heatsink which now sticks out of the enclosure. The fan will only run when you stuff over 25 Amps into the regulator and draw just as much from its outputs.

Additionally, I upgraded the wiring inside the regulator from 1mm² to 4mm² and got rid of the unreliable terminal blocks inside. Instead, I soldered the wires directly to heavy pins on the board. Of course I took care of the tracks on the copper side of the board as well. The new regulator can absorb up to 30 amps before breaking a sweat. Plenty of headroom for more panels!

Unfortunately, my lazy self accidentially shorted the output while doing some last minute detailing without cutting the power first. Strictly according to Murpyh's Law, this took out the 30 Amp current monitor, which perfectly protected the 30 Amp fuse. The sensor burned out so vigorously, erupting with smoke and flames, that it left a substantial amount of soot inside the enclosure. I didn't clean it all off as to remind me of my folley.

Dumpload updates
Speaking of flames, just two days after building this regulator, my dumpload decided to go up in a poof of smoke. In the middle of the day, probably while disposing of 150W of power, the fan just stopped. Without cooling, the heatsink must have reached insane temperatures, since it left a huge burned spot on my table despite resting on a massive piece of steel. Luckily, the dumpload desoldered itself before any more harm was done.

Ironically though, I had already planned on taking this dumpload out of service the day the burnout happened, replacing it with this:

This is my new electronic load. It was built to test out the redesigned regulator and some other pieces of my equipment to the extreme.

The load basically consists of six 50W halogen lamps, each controlled by a microprocessor via PWM. The processor also monitors voltage and current at all times...

...and can be set to run in either constant voltage, constant current or in constant power mode. With six lamps installed the load can easily dump 300 Watts at 12V.

Solar cooling
This is actually a dream come true, a milestone is regards of my grid independence!

I scored this small camping chest cooler/freezer off eBay. I had hesitated buying one of these for ages since bucks seems like asking a lot for just a small cooler. But mind you, this is not your standard thermoelectric cooler but a true DC powered compressor fridge/freezer and the chest style design and massive foam insulation help reducing heat ingress to a minimum, making it perfect for a small off grid system.

The cooler has a capacity of 49L which is enough for plenty of beverages (twelve 1L bottles) and some snacks.
So far the facts and figures might seem pretty much perfect for my situation, but in reality there were some issues to be deal with:
The original electronic thermostat was drawing 100 Milliamps even when powered OFF. This means almost 30Wh a day are wasted doing absolutely nothing. Furthermore, the manufacturer chose to run the compressor at it's lowest speed most the time, probably to keep noise level down. While this also reduced current consumption slightly, that was overcompensated for by rahter long run times.
As a result, I threw out the old electronic thermostat and built my own which now hardly uses 500 Microamps - that's 0.5% of the original standby current consumption! The new electronics module also keeps an eye on battery voltage and starts the compressor in case it reaches dump level. This way I can store the excess power produced on a sunny day in the form of coldness and save on battery capacity later.

Preview
My next update will hopefully feature another 60-120W in solar panels and possibly another battery installed as well as long term tests of the regulator and the fridge.

Thanks for reading, cheers!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 06:05:29 PM by Mr_T »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 12:05:36 AM »
...My next update will hopefully feature another 60-120W in solar panels and possibly another battery installed as well as long term tests of the regulator and the fridge.
Thanks for reading, cheers!

Thanks for posting, and looking forward to the update.   ;D

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 09:55:21 AM »
Mr T;
I was finally able to get back to logging in. NICE! Updates.
I am curious about your electronic control system. My younger bro has a unit similar  I HATE the fact it sits there burning power when nothing is going on.
Would you mind posting the schematic for it? if you're not able to due to work reasons, that'll be understood.
Cheers;
AND keep 'em coming :)
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Mr_T

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 05:00:35 PM »
Don't you just hate it, when your browser crashes just when you were about to submit your post? Aaaanyways.....

I am curious about your electronic control system. My younger bro has a unit similar  I HATE the fact it sits there burning power when nothing is going on.
Would you mind posting the schematic for it?

Code: [Select]
F1 -    7A in a 12V system, 3.5A in a 24V system (for BD35F compressor)
D1 -    any Diode >5A
T1 -    IRL1404 or similar, logic-level preferred (heatsink might be required for currents > 10A)
U1 -    LP2950 or similar low quiescent current 5V regulator
IC1 -   ATTiny25 or other low power, low cost controller of your choice
IC2 -   DS1820S
C1 -    100µF, more if you want to aid startup when using long wires from battery
C2 -    100nF or more
R1/R2 - calculate accordingly to match ADC reference and supply voltage

The microcontroller wakes up from deep sleep once every second via watchdog interrupt, measures battery voltage and, if the compressor is not running, sets cut-in and cut-out temperatures accordingly - lower temperatures when batteries are at dump level and higher temperatures when no excess power is availible. The controller then measures the actual temperature and turns the compressor on or off. Then the controller goes back to sleep for another second.
Of course, undervoltage lockout can be implemented as well.

Note:
I cannot supply you with the source code to this circuit since I am using a version with an ATMega8 with added hard- and software features for debugging. You have to do that part yourself I'm afraid.

Thank you guys for all the feedback, really appreciate it.
Cheers

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 05:22:49 PM »
Thanks for posting the schematic. No worries about the coding, with the people we have here at work I'm sure I can find one to help me along with that :-).
My forte' is fixing what's broken NOT coding  ;D
Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Mr_T

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 07:56:02 AM »
Some more updates!

I measured the energy consumption of my fridge over the last couple of days. On average, it uses 200Wh a day and that's with automatic overdrive kicking in when my batteries hit dump level. Normal consumption should be around 150Wh/d.

My main controller packed up a few times eversince I rebuilt it. Found out that the new, higher switching frequency of ~16kHz didn't do the 5V regulator and a few other components any good, probably created some high voltage spikes due to the parasitic inductivity of the tracks on the circuit board. I replaced the blown components and rolled back the firmware to 60Hz PWM. Also, I got some overvoltage alerts recently - a typical case of PEBKAC, I had dumpload mode enabled without having one hooked up, hence the regulator was slow to react to overvoltages and went into shutdown.

Yesterday I took half a day off to re-wire my wooden transformer box. This was long overdue, the original wiring was messy and only in 2.5mm², a bit close for comfort when dealing with currents in the range of up to 20 Amps. Not because the wires might catch fire but because their resistance really does hurt efficiency. I chose to use 16mm² terminal blocks so I can always upgrade to some heavier wire later.

The toroid on the left is a 12V 200W transformer, connected to my solar system with it's negative terminal. Basically my backup supply in case I run out of sunlight. The big 12V 500W toroid on the right has no electrical connection to my system. That one's basically for everything I don't want to connect to my PV system (high voltage/high current etc). Terminal strip on the left is from my regulator, transformer and mains, strip in the middle is hooked up to the loads, strip on the right is negative/ground.

Cheers

Mr_T

New panels, new cable, going heavy duty!
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 06:03:50 PM »
Updates!

It's not quite payday yet, but I found those two panels cheaply on eBay and I just couldn't help myself.

That's yet another 200W for my system!

Needless to say, when you double the power from 180Wp to 380Wp you should consider reinforcing your cables. I did a quick calculation and found out that the 6mm² wires between the panels and my regulator would dissipate well above 40W at full power - ouch!

Inevitably, I had to find myself something a bit more serious - 16mm² will do for now. Despite the huge amount of copper in them the cables are still gonna dissipate approximately 15W.

I got a little comparison for you:

On top there's what I had in use until summer - some ridiculous 1.5mm². In the middle is what I've been using since - 6mm². On the bottom there's my new 16mm² seriousness. Wonder how long this will do for me...

Lastly, I reinforced my regulator a bit. Because I'm gonna use much fatter cable now I had to attach larger terminal strips capable of (barely) swallowing 16mm². I also figured the MOSFET on the input side acting as a reverse polarity diode was useless since I already got one diode per panel. This transistor is now wired in parallel with the other input MOSFET to reduce losses inside the regulator. I also decided to add one more current sensor in the dumpload's path so now I can measure all the currents flowing trough the regulator, allowing me to calculate the battery current which in turn enables me to compensate for the losses in the cables and the fuse to the battery. Without that feature and the much higher currents my voltage figures could be up to 300mV off which is no good!
Oh boy, all of a sudden my regulator looks worryingly small...

Major adjustments were made to the regulator's firmware to accommodate the changes and I also got around to fixing some minor flaws in my data aquisition software.

This is today's capture. You can clearly see the fridge kicking in every four hours, running for 30 minutes each time, thus averaging a daily energy consumption of roughly 200Wh. As soon as the batteries hit dump level the fridge lowers comparment temperature to just above freezing point and that obviously increases the instant energy consumption, however that pays back since the fridge doesn't have to start up again for much longer than usual once the sun goes down and the system leaves overdrive mode. Today the compressor didn't have to start again after the last recorded run at 17:40, effectively saving me a good 60Wh of battery capacity over the night.

Stay tuned,
Cheers!

Mr_T

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 02:48:44 PM »
Right, quick update.

I decided to add an electronic prefuse to my system, since ordinary fuses respond too slowly to protect some loads (like my current sensors).

The OP amp measures voltage over the Drain-Source path of the MOSFET. In case of an overcurrent, the voltage will exceed the preset level represented by URef and the OP amp will pull the Gate to 0V, turning off the MOSFET. This disables the load and at the same time provides positive feedback, locking the fuse until you hit the "ON" button and manually reset it. The 100nF capacitor together with the 100k resistor connected to it acts as a low pass filter thus allowing short overcurrent spikes like connecting a big load.

Also, I stumbled upon a dead 100W 12VDC to 230VAC inverter today. I took it apart and figured out the part transforming 12V to 230V (a simple TL494 push-pull converter) was still working and just the AC output stage was blown. I decided to remove the defective parts and ended up with a 230V DC power supply. This handy little device now allows me to use ordinary 230V flourescent lamps instead of those unreliable and expensive 12V models. All modern flourescent lamps use electronic ballasts which incorporate a mains rectifier, meaning they will run perfectly fine on either AC or DC as long as the voltage is right.

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 03:08:33 PM by Mr_T »

rossw

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 05:20:21 PM »
I decided to add an electronic prefuse to my system, since ordinary fuses respond too slowly to protect some loads (like my current sensors).

How fast does it need to operate? And how slow does the 100nF/100K filter slow it to? (Is it now too slow to adequately protect your sensitive stuff?)

The OP amp measures voltage over the Drain-Source path of the MOSFET.

I'm almost surprised the LM358 will operate properly with inputs so close to the supply rail.

In the event you have a catastrophic failure and the electronic fuse does what it's supposed to - ie, turns off... when you come and press the "On" switch, you're forcing the FET on without the protection circuit being able to help. In this case, are you going to blow stuff up by the mere fact of "resetting" the fuse? I'm wondering if it would be safer to pull the non-inverting input to ground via a small cap (say, another 100nF) that's discharged through the pushbutton.

Mr_T

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 11:03:36 AM »
Hello guys,
my apologies for the late reply (and the $#|+ty pictures further down). Lots of stuff has been happening in my life. I have been very busy looking for an education (and I finally found one :]) and I also did a serious upgrade/overhaul on my PV system, but more about that later.

Replies

How fast does it need to operate? And how slow does the 100nF/100K filter slow it to? (Is it now too slow to adequately protect your sensitive stuff?)
Back in October I didn't have any fancy measuring equipment, so I have no idea of exactly how long it took the fuse to trip. I didn't do any fancy calculations either. I just guesstimated a few values and after a try or two 100n/100k turned out to be perfect for my system. Not enough delay to fry any delicate electronics, but not too little to trip from a bit of
inrush current.

In the event you have a catastrophic failure and the electronic fuse does what it's supposed to - ie, turns off... when you come and press the "On" switch, you're forcing the FET on without the protection circuit being able to help. In this case, are you going to blow stuff up by the mere fact of "resetting" the fuse? I'm wondering if it would be safer to pull the non-inverting input to ground via a small cap (say, another 100nF) that's discharged through the pushbutton.
Yes indeed, pressing the "On" button with the fault still present is a very bad idea and would cause the weakest part to go up in smoke (cool!) until the secondary fuse finally cuts the power.

The new stuff

The regulator described above is history! Sure, it was working allright with the old setup, but with the new panels and the heavy wiring I just didn't feel comfortable with it anymore. The P-channel FETs had high internal resistances and the current sensors were flimsy at best. Lastly I wasn't happy with the bad maintainability due to the cramped space inside the regulator, so in February I deciced to build a new charge controller, and here's what I came up with:

Most importantly, I bought a much bigger enclosure giving me plenty of room to work with. This allowed me to use heavy wires and proper power electronics all around. I got rid of the terminal strips, too, since those were awkward to work with when dealing with 16mm² cables. Instead, I am now using ring terminals and M8 nuts and bolts for clamping them down. Having this much space also allowed me to incorporate some bigass caps (2x 200mF@35V, rated for 23A ripple current each IIRC) for filtering out the PWM noise. Those capacitors have to swallow quite a bit of AC current despite the proximity to my batteries.

The new design is supposed to survive dead shorts across the output or anywhere else in the power subsystem (and it does, I tested it with poor Mr. Screwdriver!), hence the ACS714 current monitors had to go as those were the weakest link in the chain, burning up immediately when experiencing a short across the output (until I came up
with the electronic breaker that is). I picked up a bunch of LEM sensors (the three blue things) and adapted them a bit to make them fit my needs. The new current sensors are capable of measuring up to 57 amps nominal and will certainly survive a short as the current is basically just traveling through the LEM's magnetic core via a rather thick piece of wire.
In addition to the new current probes, I am now using three dedicated 12-bit A/D converters (lower right on the main board) with averaging for measuing the current, giving me 50mA resolution and good accuracy. I didn't bother changing the voltage ADCs as 10mV resolution (10 bits+1 bit of oversampling) worked out to be more than good enough.
In my plan of making the regulator short circuit proof and in order to reduce power losses I sacked the P-channel FETs. The new regulator got two IRF3205 N-channel MOSFETs in parallel per channel (input, dumpload, load), easily capable of switching 50+ amps and maxing out both, my PV system and my 32A bench PSU at the same time. They do get warm due to switching losses once the PWM kicks. The fan doesn't come on until 50 amps of combined current have been reached and it's not really necessary anyways as the heatsink doesn't ever get too hot in everyday use. I was very lucky with my circuit design as I was able to bolt the load and dumpload's FETs directly onto the heatsink - without any sort of electrical insulation. Not only does it improve heat transfer, it also saved me a bunch of cumbersome wires :)

All these changes to the power subsystem allowed me to revert to an old fashioned blade style fuse, further reducing the total impedance. I calculated the resistance from one battery terminal to the regulator output and back to the battery to be lower than 20 milliohms - a single P-channel MOSFET had this much resistance!

As the icing on the cake, I separated the user interface from the charge controller. This allowed me to place the charge controller underneath my table, right next to the battery while still granting me easy configuration access at all times.
In an effort to make the regulator even more reliable and to cut down quiescent current I cleaned up the controller's firmware, shrinking down code size and execution time considerably and making the unit nicer to work with. Average power, overcurrent alarm, real time clock, programmable outputs and datalogging, I sacked them all. I only kept the bare essentials, as immediate voltage, current and power as well as the energy meter. Current offsets and voltage tresholds are #define'd in the source code and cannot be changed during runtime anymore. This is also to ensure
nothing can mess up the values and cook my batteries or the load.

The new controller's standby current consumption averages to around 7mA at with everything in sleep mode, although I'm blaming the 5V regulator for drawing at least 5 of the 7mA. I was planning on using a low quiescent
current regulator at first, but those don't even come close to the 7805's line and load regulation. I didn't have any luck with the LF50 and LP2950 at all as their output voltage dipped quite a bit with the LCD on, causing unacceptable glitches on the gate drive signals.

What's to come?

Currently I'm just far too busy with my education to even think about any future plans but I'll make sure to let you guys know as soon as I come up with something fun and interesting.

So long,
Cheers!

nickskethisnikske

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 01:38:41 PM »
nice topic!