Author Topic: What is your experience with Chinese PV panels?  (Read 786 times)

umagrama

What is your experience with Chinese PV panels?
« on: July 27, 2011, 03:43:45 PM »
Hi!

I would like to know if any of you have any previous experience with Chinese-made PV panels. I ran into many manufacturer and can´t seem to find any information on its performance and reliability.

Reading the Chinese PV panels specification, they seem to deliver the same product on the end like any other panel.

Please share your experience if any.

Thanks!

umagrama

rossw

Re: What is your experience with Chinese PV panels?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 05:31:21 PM »
I would like to know if any of you have any previous experience with Chinese-made PV panels. I ran into many manufacturer and can´t seem to find any information on its performance and reliability.

Reading the Chinese PV panels specification, they seem to deliver the same product on the end like any other panel.

I installed approx 3.6KW worth of 100W modules here. 2.4KW on trackers, 1.2KW on seasonal-adjustment-only arrays.
While the finish isn't *QUITE* as good as a top-of-the-line western module, they're still very good, and the price difference was substantial (at the time, under 1/3 the price).

Be aware that not all chinese panels are even similar, much less the same. There are good panels, average panels, and junk. It can be impossible to tell from afar, but once you have them its too late. If you discover they've laminated hair and other contaminants in the module, its too late! (I've seen photos of some cheap-and-nasty panels like that).

Do your homework and you can score good product at a great price.

Rover

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 06:27:40 PM »
As RossW said.. you simply cannot group them into "Chinese". Be like grouping into you like "cars"? . Too many manufacturers, to many companies using the manufacturers. Just because it is made in China, doesn't mean much other than a firm wanted a product made there to lower labor cost. A lot of firms out source the fabrication to Chinese companies , and those Chinese companies must use the firm's specs (or basically be in breach of contract, lose business , etc) .

I have no where near what Ross has , but I have about 500 W (5 x 100W) of Chinese made panels, that use Q cells, and I'm happy  with both the panels and the cells. I started with one, looked at the quality, power output, and etc and went on from there. These are also not the cheapest panels.. I put them in the "moderate" range.

Now  does that mean I would just buy any panel that said made in China... course not.  That applies to any country and any product.. do the research on exactly what you (want)  to buy.
Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 06:31:54 PM »
I had 10Kw of CNPV panels installed and so far they work good, how they stand the test of time is yet to be shown, the installer has worked in this field for a long time(not a Johny come lately solar rebate installer)  so I trust his judgement. It can be raining up here in FNQ and I still get 1.5Kw into the batteries with MPPT.

http://www.cnpv-power.com/HTML/About/Display/Aid_1.html

Allan of the jungle
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.