Author Topic: Heat recovery??  (Read 701 times)

Saltwater

Heat recovery??
« on: July 28, 2011, 09:09:09 PM »
Anyone hear of this?  Or use one of these?  I stumbled across this and it sounds interesting.  http://www.trevormartin.com/hru.asp

It connects to your AC line and works similar to a heat pump (I guess).

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: Heat recovery??
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 09:24:30 PM »
Very common. Used to heat swimming pools also. If it improves the efficiency of your a/c you win. Otherwise you might as well go direct solar heat capture for domestic hot water.

Saltwater

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 10:31:28 PM »
I've been looking at a solar water heater, however, the cost is high.  I just accidentally came across this and thought it might be a good alternative.  I live in Oklahoma and my heat pump usually runs a lot.  I've been researching since I've posted, and talking to the wife.  Ok, I've been begging and trying to sell her on the idea.....   From what she has to say, looks like this spring until I can buy one.

I would like to try one.  Heck, I bought a tankless water heater and it crapped out after 4 months.  What can I say, I'm a sucker for gadgets!  Found one for 4 bills, so what the heck?

I put a temp probe on my return line and it only get to 96deg.  I don't know if that is enough to make this gadget worth the money.

Jeff
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 11:25:17 PM by Saltwater »

artv

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 06:20:10 AM »
Hi Jeff,...I put my solar hot water setup in for ~$500.00, my tanks were free as well as the collector( old rad from boiler heating system).
You could look around for used parts ,alot cheaper than new.
At 96 degrees it will take a long time to recover your four bills........be careful this site is very addictive.........artv

Saltwater

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 12:47:13 PM »
Thank you everyone.  turns out the temp needs to be between 125 and 140, time to start looking for solar parts
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 12:54:18 PM by Saltwater »