Author Topic: 12v, 36v and 48v Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) Units  (Read 4538 times)

mettleramiel

Protect your expensive electronics and run when the power goes out! I got here a ton of UPS units. All the them have been tested and work as they should but had bad batteries. The dead batteries have been removed to save on shipping and without them, most of these units weigh about 1lb. Discounts can be given to people wanting to buy multiple units. You cover shipping costs from Canada.

2 - APC Back-UPS office 350va.
    Dimensions: 17" x 6" x 3"

These are 12v 200 watt units. One of them comes with a data cable so you can hook it up to your computer, the other does not. First person to buy one gets the cable. APC has a proprietary cable, but you can make it yourself like this http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/guides-how-tos/17082-how-build-apc-u-p-s-data-cable.html

$15 each CDN

7 - APC Back-UPS ES 350
    Dimensions: 10" x 7" 3"

More 12v 200watt units but with larger space for batteries. None of these come with data cables. They look like they are stand DP9 cables, but they are not. You can make them yourself however like this http://www.techiehq.net/pc-technical-talk/apc-ups-serial-cable-24418.html

$20 each CDN

1 - Powercom KOF373S
    11" x 5" x 3"

12v 373watt unit. Comes with serial data cable, it's the one at the top of the picture

$20 CDN

5 Powercom KOS 575S
  11" x 5" x 5"

12v 575 watt units all come with serial data cables

$25 each CDN

1 - Powerware 5115 PWS51151400
    15" x 6" x 7"
An odd duck, this is a 36v 950watt unit. It weighs about 15lbs on it's own and it even outputs a true sine wave! This units is missing the front face plate. The one on the left in the pic.

$100 CDN OBO

1 - Liebert GXT1500RT-120

Sorry, I lost the picture, I will take one later. This one is a monster. It's a rack mountable 1500watt unit weighing 40lbs and outputting a true sinewave. Open to offers, but probably looking for a couple hundred bucks.

Direct any questions to this thread or mettleramiel at hotmail dot com.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: 12v, 36v and 48v Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) Units
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 09:42:39 PM »
We normally give these away here. In the US it's less expensive to toss the unit and buy new when the battery goes. I don't know about Canada. Buying an SLA here costs too much to make it worthwhile. At work we went to a building wide UPS and discard failing personal size units. APC has a program for battery replacement but it doesn't pay. They just do it to make it possible to properly dispose of the SLA if local facilities don't exist.

The smaller APC's put out a mod-sine wave that is not very good for small form factor pc power supplies, but is otherwise okay for an occasional 5 minute power interruption.

The true sine wave large unit might be worth owning for off-grid use. What's the make/model/voltage?

mettleramiel

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 11:09:37 PM »
The true sine wave large unit might be worth owning for off-grid use. What's the make/model/voltage?

It's a Leimark GXT 1500 48v I have an APC 1500 48v unit as well, but I may be keeping it. The smaller 36v unit is also a true sine wave. I don't know about the US but around here, batteries for these things are cheap. Most of these units only have room for about $20 worht of SLA.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 06:08:46 PM »
It's the shipping that ruins it. You want $15CDN plus shipping. Battery prices are similar here, but you have to add shipping to that, too. Radio Shack sells a 12v 7ah sla for $32 in store and shipped to store if ordered online. That's the size that goes in an APC 350ES.

I can get an APC 350ES for $40 and an APC 550ES for $50 new at Office Depot. http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/911559/APC-Back-UPS-ES-550-Battery/
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/277408/APC-Back-UPS-ES-350-Battery/

For all that you get cables, software and a warranty.

The APC Pro series OTOH is nice off grid because they are sine wave. If they are under 350 watts or so you can just put a pigtail on one and plug it in the dash and not worry about what you run off it. A non-sine inverter (like a Black and Decker) that plugs into a car is just under $20US here, but I don't trust anything but a sine wave. What's plugged in is worth more than the inverter most times.