Remote Living > Lighting

12v ac/dc led clusters

(1/3) > >>

dnix71:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/G4-18-LED-180-Lumen-Cool-White-12V-AC-DC-2-Watt-Bulb-/150647480705?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23134a2181

I just bought one to tinker with. That's enough light at 2 watts to light a small room. I don't want to dim this but would consider running it from 9vdc since I have a 9v regulated tap available.

Can it be run from 12-14v dc directly or do I need a small resistor to limit current? I can heat sink this well if need be, but the 2 watt led 120vac bathroom lights I have don't seem to need a sink, unless the socket itself acts as one.

90 lumens/watt is a good efficiency for almost any type of lamp. Even linear fluorescents don't do much better.

Simen:
I have several similar lights, and it all depends if they have a current limiting circuit or not wether you can run it much above 13-14V.

The ones i have that have just a resistor in series with each 3 leds, works fine at 12-13V. @14V they're very warm, and when my bank are fully charged in wintertime when the voltage reach 15V; the leds started to melt off... ;D

Edit:
If the light are the 3-led/1-resistor type, it will probably not light up @ 9V...
/edit

I have swapped all those with similar lights that have a current limiter circuit, and those run from 9V to 30V.

dnix71:
It came in today. I live in a 14' x 15' apartment. It's enough to light the room at night. I measured the current at 12.8v and it's steady at .142 amp. That's not quite 2 watts, so I assume it can handle a "nominal 12v" rather than exactly 12v.

for size comparison

for size comparison

Shot at night with the flash down

oldmil:
I just bought a few of these lights.  Is there a + and - terminal on these or doesn't polarity matter.

Thanks,

Oldmil

dnix71:
Four years later, my apartment is still lighted by that cluster and none have burned out. I don't see a polarity label on it, but diodes are by nature polarized.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version