Author Topic: Any experience with ARE / XZERES  (Read 1047 times)

Jon Miller

• Otherpower UK
Any experience with ARE / XZERES
« on: October 05, 2011, 09:49:03 AM »
Hello,

At my work (uk) we are looking at work with Xzeres turbines.

I am interested to hear about your thoughts about the machines if you have one or have been looking at one?

They look like a very simple but robust machine.

Thanks

Jonathan

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Any experience with ARE / XZERES
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 02:38:20 PM »
See if it's one of the machines that have been subjected to the NREL small wind turbine testing program.
If so, then you can find detailed reports on performance, any serviceability problems, a year's worth of experience written down scientifically.
Good luck!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

kitestrings

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 04:23:05 PM »
Jonathan,

I don't have any direct experience with the company, - just an observation.  The original design I believe came from Hugh P. working with AWP.  Then it got imported by a company called ARE, and finally marketed under Xzeres (all with there own improvements I'm sure).  The price on the smaller unit went from $3k+ to $10k, and suddenly the ouput rating went from ~1.5 kW to ~2.5 kW.  My point is with reasonable output expectations for a given rotor size the consumer will be much happier.

It look s like a beefier machine than many.  There's a dealer nearby here with a 442 up for a year or two.  I'll see if I can get any input.  They also are reviewed in a fairly recent Homepower article as I recall.

Good luck.

~kitestrings

Jon Miller

• Otherpower UK
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 05:54:14 PM »
Just to bring this thread up to speed.

We installed two machines in Cornwall recently and have been very happy with the build quality and the power output.

The controller is a voltage boosting type that has been programmed very closely to the turbines preformance characteristics.  
It is able to see the machine slowing down and reduce load to allow the TSR to become more optimum before increasing load again.
It has several fail safes and simply shorts the alternator to three dump loads located in the tower if all else fails.
It controls rotor speed in high winds via 4kW of dump loads.  So for example, you can be delivering 12kW into the grid and producing 4.4kW of heat, which is very good in my mind.
The controller has remote access and a web user interface inbuilt which is very easy to use.

The only difficulty for me being based in the UK, it has required some late nights for me to problem solve the intail internet connection setup and firmware update but the contact has been very good.

I have included a screen shot of the turbines peak performance I have seen.

The two sites should have anemometers being installed shortly  :)

If anyone is looking to install these in the UK I am happy to talk over my experience.

Thanks

Jon
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 06:00:33 PM by Jon Miller »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 10:55:46 PM »
Jon,
That update is full of info - thanks!

I wonder how "simultaneous" the readings were in the second screen-shot.  It's accepted that doing calculations with spot readings from a turbine will lead to confusing maths.  Especially since your ARE's output is rectified.  I tried anyway, but only seem to prove that it's not easy to make anything add up.

Is the 3rd inverter being used?  Are inverters 1+2 stacked or in parallel?
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Jon Miller

• Otherpower UK
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 03:02:57 AM »
SparWeb,

Yes, its not clear if the readings are of the same time, i must admit I havnt done the math there.

the system is connected to a split phase via two Windyboy 6000 units.  One per phase.

Cheers

Jon