Author Topic: DIY Organic Rankine Cycle engine  (Read 15339 times)

Dolph1983

DIY Organic Rankine Cycle engine
« on: October 24, 2011, 09:43:44 AM »
Hi, You may have seen my system in another thread (Basic wood boiler and buffe), i will be using this thread to keep you updated on the ORC system, the other thread will deal with boiler improvements as and when.

I ran some power test on my prototype, here are the results:

http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,144688.0.html

I'd be glad to hear from anyone who thinks they could potentially use a biogen system (once it is finished) as i need to do a theoretical case study.

Questions welcomed.

Dolph.
ww.biogen.webs.com

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: DIY Organic Rankine Cycle engine
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 02:31:33 PM »
I might potentially be able to use a small one at some point as a heat dump from solar DHW, of that helps.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Dolph1983

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 04:01:20 PM »
Nice one Damon,

How big is the solar array?  Solar is such a great use for this sytem, truly free energy.

You would still need to dump the waste heat on the condenser side of BioGen somehow.

If you had a solar return of around 85 degree C then the condenser side of Biogen would probably be about 65 degrees C.

Using solar during the summer and biomass during the winter would be an ideal application for BioGen. During summer you could dump the excess heat through a heat sink to atmosphere, a wood drying kiln, swimming pool, hot tub or something and during winter you could dump it through a heating circuit, hot water, greenhouse and wood drying kiln.

Biogen would function best if you had a constant flow of cooling water like a stream or pond, before reintroducing the water to the stream you could pass it through a heat exchanger to pre heat any of the above.

If i had enough summer sun i would build a wood drying kiln and use the waste heat from BioGen to dry logs, woodchip,pellets so that it could be sold during winter with a really low moisture content making it worth a lot more.

:)
ww.biogen.webs.com

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 04:16:05 PM »
Hi,

The array exists only in my head at the moment!

The plan is for a ~6m^2 PV/T array, half facing east and half west.

In high summer it will need a dump or similar as we won't use all the DHW that my calcs suggest it would produce.

No biomass burning for me in the London 'burbs!  And no running water so I'd probably need something like forced air cooling.

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Harold in CR

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 09:16:17 AM »

Hi,
we have a thread going on Rankine Cycle system, over on the http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/269605551/m/2551084412/p/1 forum. NOT a working system, yet, but, guys are trying different stuff, for inexpensive builds. Experimenting is part of the fun.

I'm thinking they would like to hear about what you have.

Dolph1983

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 09:54:17 AM »
Hi,

The array exists only in my head at the moment!

The plan is for a ~6m^2 PV/T array, half facing east and half west.

In high summer it will need a dump or similar as we won't use all the DHW that my calcs suggest it would produce.

No biomass burning for me in the London 'burbs!  And no running water so I'd probably need something like forced air cooling.

Rgds

Damon

At least you've got plans Damon, the bigger the better.  You building it yourself or getting some lads in?

Running BioGen on Solar thermal alone, in the UK, probably would not make it viable (even down south), as you say it would need forced air cooling which consumes more power than it'll be capable of putting out at these low thermal inputs, you'd be better of with a hampster in a wheel!.  If used with solar you'd need 8 hours a day with a tracking system or a large south facing array, you would need >15kW thermal to make it viable.

parts of Mediterranean, Africa, Asia, Australia and America have a suitable climate. 

:)
ww.biogen.webs.com

Dolph1983

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 09:56:59 AM »

Hi,
we have a thread going on Rankine Cycle system, over on the http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/269605551/m/2551084412/p/1 forum. NOT a working system, yet, but, guys are trying different stuff, for inexpensive builds. Experimenting is part of the fun.

I'm thinking they would like to hear about what you have.

Yeah Harold, its a good forum, nice to see you networking links but i'm already on it :)

Thanks.
ww.biogen.webs.com

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 03:31:26 PM »
Not only am I not v good at DIY, building codes and rules around install are quite strict.

I do have a few Seebeck generators sitting on my desk due to a lack of round tuits which are the other way I thought of productively dumping heat (to air on the north side of the building).

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Dolph1983

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 06:59:47 PM »
Not only am I not v good at DIY, building codes and rules around install are quite strict.

I do have a few Seebeck generators sitting on my desk due to a lack of round tuits which are the other way I thought of productively dumping heat (to air on the north side of the building).

Rgds

Damon

Hi Damon,

Yeah thermo electric is interesting, if you have a few lying about thats a bonus but from what i've seen they are expensive compared to output.  You got any links to cheap ones?
ww.biogen.webs.com

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 05:19:01 PM »
No!

Mine are from http://www.hi-z.com/

Rgds

Damon

PS. Potentially you could borrow mine to test your OR stuff against...

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 05:48:21 PM »
Gents;
 Just a little nod in here for Peltier units.
This is where I bought mine. Might be a bit cheaper since they're China direct. I have not had any problems with ANY of the stuff I've bought from them.
http://www.hebeiltd.com.cn/?p=peltier.module

Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Dolph1983

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 03:59:52 PM »
Kind offer Damon, i might take you up on it once i have completed my ORC contraption a comparison would be interesting.

Thanks for link Bruce.

All quiet on the ORC project front until i get some spare cash. Then it'll be solenoid valves to control the flow and a charge controller.

ww.biogen.webs.com

Dolph1983

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 04:19:22 PM »
Hi everybody,

Just posting a link to my latest video. It is an explanation of how the organic rankine cycle works and how i'll be using it. Some extra info about membership to the website.

I have bought a load of kit which i am setting up at the moment, hopefully i'll be posting a new video showing some mighty fine progress within 2 months.

Anyway, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/user/DoLpH1983?feature=mhum

Hope everyone has a great new year.
ww.biogen.webs.com

Dolph1983

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 04:12:49 PM »
Happy new year, This is the new ORC unit taking shape

Also some software i'm working on:

www.biogen.webs.com
ww.biogen.webs.com

Dolph1983

A breakthrough for my DIY Organic Rankine Cycle engine
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 04:03:53 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Today saw the first fully operational test run of my new prototype heat engine.  The new engine named 'Prepper' is an organic rankine cycle heat engine encompassing a compact modular design within a protective metal housing (formerly a washing machine). The Prepper is designed to be an off grid emergency backup generator which can be retro fitted to an existing boiler circuit, whilst doubling as a test bed for the budding heat engine enthusiast. It is of very simple design, with all parts being available off the shelf.  In order to increase its environmental credentials I have constructed my Prepper at low cost using some salvaged parts.

I still need to insulate the pipework and tidy the electrics but other than that my Prepper is finished.

The Prepper is the base unit from which my other developments will spring.  Heat engines are best used to recover waste heat, so, i intend to develop heat engines which will use Solar Thermal, Biomass fuel or internal combustion genset (such as Lister engines) waste heat as a renewable energy source.

The Prepper is a DIY build and i can say from experience that it is a thrilling and engrossing project from the outset. It has taken me about 18 months to research, from scratch, ORC heat engines and their DIY potential. I literally started out knowing absolutely nothing about it. The huge advantage of the Prepper's simple design is that it uses 100% off the shelf parts, so there is no need for complicated tools and machining during construction, i mostly used basic plumbing hand tools.

That's it for now but be sure to check back because i will be making a video to fully explain and demonstrate my system.

in the meantime here are some pics:

[/url]

[/img]

see my other post for a frontal view

Many thanks to all those who contributed to my project,

Stuart.

www.biogen.webs.com

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:07:18 PM by Dolph1983 »
ww.biogen.webs.com

Dolph1983

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 10:19:52 PM »
Here we go then, the latest update video is finally finished;

http://www.youtube.com/user/DoLpH1983?feature=mhum

enjoy :)
ww.biogen.webs.com

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 12:44:08 AM »
Darn impressive little machine you've built!

Harold in CR

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 06:25:46 AM »

Very nice.

Sitting through a Temblor, so, monitor was shaking a bit, so, I have to ask, what is the max sustainable electricity output, at this time ?

And, what is your expected output from future mods ?

Thanks for posting this video, also.  8) 8) 8)

Dolph1983

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 07:56:26 AM »
Thanks,

This test unit puts out up to 45 watts net electrical, which is due to a very inefficient means of generation Ie, Alternator.  It is probably more useful to quote the shaft power of the expander which is up to 370 watts mechanical.

The alternator in this case is only max 40% efficient, change that out with an 85% efficient generator and you've got more electrical output. This is a very simple modification to carry out. With a better generator i'm expecting up to 200 watts electrical output.

So the 'Prepper', with some simple modifications and enhancements will be capable of outputting a usable amount of electricity.

This ORC system is also scaleable, in the video you see a 'Prepper' which is built to be as small as possible but still achieve a net output. At about 5kW input this Prepper is tiny.  It would be very easy to build a larger system, 10 or 15 kW heat input.

It could be setup to use solar panels, biomass boiler, genset coolant or gasifier waste heat as its input.

if members join the project then i can plough the funds into further development, my final system will put out approx 1 kW electrical and will be based around a 25kW heat input. Once finished i can then offer those members discounts on components which will be worth more than their initial membership fee. I'll probably need about 100 members before i can take the project further.

Thanks for your interest.

ww.biogen.webs.com

arnolda

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 01:58:46 PM »
I am very interested in your project, I am planning the use of such a system to generate electricity. I am currently thinking of a 3 kw to 10 kw combined heat and power system for my home and possible grid tie. i am very interested in biomass fuel along with solar.