Author Topic: Solar hot air start  (Read 22444 times)

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: Solar hot air start
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2011, 03:08:47 PM »
Original plan was to mount horizontally until I found out I need to relocate my satellite dish. Only other spot for it that won't get in the way is the roof and in MN ice and snow that is not an option. What I get for measuring when I am tired!.

Today is the first test in colder conditions. 15 degrees and still getting 130 degree output air so it works very well. Next version is going to be the window screen style, using the dryer duct is to big of a pain in the butt.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2011, 05:42:16 PM »
What's the window screen style?

You live in Minnesota?  We live in northern Wisconsin and everything here is sheeted with 1/2" of ice that's tougher than steel, then the snow came and buried it.  My wind turbines are still running fine, although they got built up with 2" of ice on the blades.  My solar panels are pretty much useless.

From the Dictionary of Renewable Energy:

Solar Panels (sole-urr pann ulz): n: devices installed in Wisconsin that collect ice and snow at the proper angle to reflect all the sun's heat down to the Bahamas
--
Chris
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 05:47:27 PM by ChrisOlson »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2011, 07:36:14 PM »
"window screen style"
Someone, somewhere, tested multiple versions or multiple ideas.  University kid in India maybe?

'Furnace Filter style' worked best.
I either lost his link, or it disappeared, but he had a decent pdf up somewhere.
Maybe one of the other GM still has a link? (*cough cough bruce cough*)

My micro-mini-nano experiments with distilling water proved what the pdf said.
Cheapie furnace filters, 3 layers deep was the best bang-for-the-buck.  4 layer was a little better output.  Over a few $$$ in places not as poor as where this guy was, I'd opt for the 4th layer.  Flat black spray paint.  Simple.
I have pics somewhere, but expect that SD card is a long way from here at the moment.  I can TRY to dig them up in old emails if anyone is interested.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2011, 11:00:59 PM »
Didn't see that over on buildit solar where I got the dryer duct and window screen ideas. Chris go to www.builditsolar.com for solar hot air ideas and performance.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »
Found the furnace filter design, basically the same as the window screen version with higher performance. Article I found claimed 77% efficiency.

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2011, 09:54:33 PM »
"window screen style"
Someone, somewhere, tested multiple versions or multiple ideas.  University kid in India maybe?

'Furnace Filter style' worked best.
I either lost his link, or it disappeared, but he had a decent pdf up somewhere.
Maybe one of the other GM still has a link? (*cough cough bruce cough*)

My micro-mini-nano experiments with distilling water proved what the pdf said.
Cheapie furnace filters, 3 layers deep was the best bang-for-the-buck.  4 layer was a little better output.  Over a few $$$ in places not as poor as where this guy was, I'd opt for the 4th layer.  Flat black spray paint.  Simple.
I have pics somewhere, but expect that SD card is a long way from here at the moment.  I can TRY to dig them up in old emails if anyone is interested.
G-

Hi Glen,
I'm not a University kid in India (wish I was -- at least the kid part :), but I did do some testing on screen collectors vs others:

http://www.builditsolar.com/Experimental/AirColTesting/Index.htm

Given how simple and cheap they are to build the screen collectors are quite impressive -- of the ones Scott and I tested they were the best.

Gary