Author Topic: Inverter choices.......help please!!  (Read 2240 times)

cdog

Inverter choices.......help please!!
« on: April 20, 2012, 09:06:28 PM »
Looking at getting a "real" inverter setup....
I need 120/240.....will be starting a well pump etc.....
My choices........
Xantrex xw6048.......
Two outback fx3048t......
Two apollo tsw4048.......
Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.....this will be off grid...many thanks...
Cdog.

dbcollen

Re: Inverter choices.......help please!!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 01:36:53 AM »
Or a single vfx3648 with a x240 autotransformer. I really like Outback for servicability, just replaced all the boards in a customers inverter for $440 which replaces EVERYTHING except the big transformer and the case. I'm not sure how it was hooked up (incorrectly obviously), I believe he had the inverter and the generator connected to the same breaker box, and he would run one or the other to power the house. Well he started the generator without throwing the breaker to disconnect the inverter, and the inverter lost the fight.

cdog

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 06:11:08 AM »
Thanks....i did think of that route but wonder if i will need more power down the road....
I know the outbacks are a time tested unit....can't go wrong i dont think.....
I don't know anything about the apollo other than for the price is great for 4kw and split phase.....I would end up with the most watts for the buck this way...
The xantrex is quite new and im sure its likely cutting edge....its a beast of a unit...
Warranty is five years for all.....
Tough choice!!

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 03:19:42 PM »
I'd probably get the Xantrex unit if you want big power.  Dual Outbacks cannot match a single XW.  Depending on what you get on it, you're still going to have around $5 Grand in it by the time you buy a remote control panel for it, auto gen start, AC/DC conduit box, etc..

You can still get brand new SW's like we got too.  But those are more expensive yet.  $5,600 for two SW's, plus $700-800 for a T-240 to keep your split phase legs balanced.  But you would have 11 kW capacity with dual SW's.

I guess these Magnum Energy inverters are pretty good too:
http://www.magnumenergy.com/Products/MS-PAEseries.htm

I have no experience with the MS-PAE but one of the local RE outfits that does several off-grid installations a year has been using them, and they speak highly of them where the installation requires 240 split phase power.  They can be parallel'd to add more power later if you want, and also have auto gen-start, and many other options.  I have seen one installation they did and Magnum Energy makes a beautiful panel that the inverter mounts in that has all the AC and DC connections in it all laid out nicely on bus bars with breakers.
--
Chris
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 04:11:07 PM by ChrisOlson »