Author Topic: DIY demagnetizing tool  (Read 15149 times)

dinges

DIY demagnetizing tool
« on: January 21, 2012, 05:32:16 PM »
A few months ago I built a small demagnetizer, as I was getting tired of all my tools ending up magnetic and having to take them to a friend to have them demagnetized. Figured I might as well do a little write-up about the project, it may perhaps interest someone here.

The first, small demagnetizer was made using a coil out of an old 3-phase energy-meter, the kind with a rotating aluminium disc. There were 3 coils in it, I used one. The trick is to have a transformer or coil without a fully-closed magnetic circuit, so the magnetic flux will travel through the air (or rather, through your workpiece) from one pole to the next. It's hard to see in the pictures, but the 'working-end' of the coil has an airgap; just like the modified microwave transformer below.

Forgot the exact inductance of the coil, but the reactance was about 6000 ohm, so safe to connect directly across the mains without too much current flowing. In fact, it's safe to have it permanently left on, unlike the second, larger model. I installed a push-button but for this small demagnetizer it isn't really needed.

Modus operandi: plug demagnetizer in a wall outlet, hold tool to be demagnetized on the pad, push button, slowly withdraw tool. When tool is about 20-30 cm away, the demagnetizer can be turned off again. And the tool should be demagnetized.

Works like a charm, but only on smaller tools (screwdrivers etc.), so I built a larger one soon after, using a modified microwave oven transformer. Carefully sawed the top half off, removed the high-voltage windings and removed the magnetic shunts. That's about it. However, unlike the smaller version, this one can't be connected directly to the mains for any length of time (at least, not without the circuitbreakers tripping....) as it is a virtual short. Initially I was designing fancy electronics to provide the decaying AC current, till I thought of PTCs; grabbed an old one, taken from a colour TV set, put in series with the transformer (now: coil), plugged it in, and it worked. Initially about 25A flowed, but it decayed to practically zero in a few milli-seconds as the PTC heated up.

Despite what the schematic shows, I haven't bothered with the fuse or indicator lamp. Just the transformer/coil, a PTC and a momentary switch. I haven't got around to encasing the large version yet, but will do that someday too.

The only downside of the PTC is that, after you've demagnetized a tool, you've got to wait a minute or two for it to cool down again to do another tool. That's a downside I can live with though, and considering how simple the 'electronics' is, it seems like a reasonable trade-off to me.

I have seen small demagnetizers as projects on the web, but never saw one using a PTC to provide the decaying AC current, though no doubt others have thought of this.

Anyway, a few hours spent on a rainy sunday yielded two handy gadgets for me, using recuperated parts that cost me nothing (the cabinet of the small demagnetizer had a few holes, most of which were re-used).

Perhaps this idea is also of use to someone else.

Peter.
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

oztules

• Village idiot
Re: DIY demagnetizing tool
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 08:48:46 PM »
I used the micro wave transformer (less shunts and secondary) and ran it off a 40v transformer into the primary... worked well to demagnetise the lathe and tooling.

Later just used a run capacitor in series with the microwave primary directly of the 240v
The capacitive reactance acted as the poor mans current limiter.

.............oztules

Flinders Island Australia

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 08:52:56 PM »
Welcome back to the forum, Doktor De Gauss!

I had to look up the PTC, though I was pretty sure what you meant:   "Positive temperature coefficient (PTC) thermistor".

I have an old micro transformer that I haven't bothered doing anything with, and PLENTY of magnetized tools after a number of projects involving magnets.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 12:23:53 AM »
I wonder if a partial magnetic shunt could be used to bring the current down to 12 amps or so and still leave a healthy field over the poles.

dinges

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 04:39:25 AM »
Later just used a run capacitor in series with the microwave primary directly of the 240v
The capacitive reactance acted as the poor mans current limiter.

Hadn't thought of that. May give that one a try in the final-build version of the microwave transformer demagnetizer; with a switch selecting between 'automatic' degaussing using the PTC, or manual degaussing with a capacitor to limit current.

To what current did you limit? 5A sounds reasonable?

Sparweb, yeah, I should have been more clear about PTCs; hate it myself when people use acronyms I don't understand. PTC = positive temperature coefficient resistor. Basically, very low resistance when cold (a few ohms), and large resistance when warm (over 100 kohm in mine). The one I grabbed was used in the degaussing circuit on an old colour tv set. Have a box full of them, have been collecting and saving them for over 30 years, and this is the first time I actually put one to use..... re-affirming my pack-rat syndrome..... ;D

RP, using the shunts might work too, who knows. I'd say, give it a try and let us all know.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 04:41:31 AM by dinges »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 04:35:56 PM »
5A is still 1000w..... maybe a bit lower would be better.... depends on how long you need it on I guess.

The shunts.... microwave trannies work full saturated anyway, so the shunts will likely be no where near enough to save you when you relieve the iron path of it's "I"s.

...............oztules
Flinders Island Australia

bvan1941

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 05:01:21 PM »
Guys,
TV repairmen used to have them all over the place. (We used to have to degauss the older TVs quite often when you moved your TV anywhere over a very short distrance or, when someone brought a motorised implement near the TV screen.)  Maybe just a visit to a TV shop would solve the problem quickly !
Bill

Janne

• Turbiini
    • My image gallery
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 05:20:01 PM »
Hi Dingy,

Good to see you back here. Been wondering if you were still alive and kicking :)
Demagnetizer is one of the tools I've been thinking of making. I thought a brillliant idea would have been to use an induction motor stator, but it would be quite clumsy compared to your method. Nice work!
Nothing's as easy as drilling a hole in the wrong place

dinges

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 01:11:17 PM »
TV repairmen used to have them all over the place.

Note proper use of the past tense there. There aren't any TV shops around here anymore and haven't been for 20+ years. They went the way of the Dodo.

But there are plenty of stores that will sell you a TV set though!

Maybe just a visit to a TV shop would solve the problem quickly !

The guys in TV shops couldn't tell the difference between a resistor and a capacitor if it was printed on them in big bold letters. But they are masters at their sales pitch and selling you the latest hyper-flat super-4D-LCD-plasma tv with hyperspatial surround-sound, made in China.

I fear that I'd only get a blank stare in return if I'd ask them to borrow their degaussing wand....
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:14:03 PM by dinges »

richard

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 05:25:26 PM »
we have one in canon city Co  richard

richhagen

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 02:23:48 AM »
Although I have no idea what I did with it, I used to have a big old selonoid coil which was connected to a step down transformer from mains to demagnetize screw drivers and such.  The on off switch was the plug in the outlet.  Worked well for objects that fit through the opening.  Just stick the screw driver in the opening and pull it out.  Rich
A Joule saved is a Joule made!