Author Topic: free velomobile engineering plans  (Read 49072 times)

zap

• There's an app for that
Re: free velomobile engineering plans
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 10:17:29 AM »
One thing I wonder about though is whether the trailer wheels don't easily spin when pushing, as there's little weight on them.

With the lithium pack Woody weighs around 45lbs.  I have a short steep section on my driveway where his wheel always spins out.  The driveway is recycled asphalt so it's more or less gravel.  Other than that... wheel spin is pretty much a non-event.

Where was to trailer when I was trying to figure out where else to stuff more batteries into the e-scooter?
Nice looking, a bit pricy for me but sure would make adding an extra bank easy enough, and a place to keep groceries dry too!
Cool
Cheers
Bruce S
I picked up a free e-scooter on CL last summer.  One of the old Panterras they sold at Pep Boys.  It was in pieces but the guy had some extra parts he also gave me.
I got it running but it's a real dog... the frame alone is probably 150lbs?

REdiculous

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2012, 11:29:11 AM »
Wheel spin isn't much of an issue when you've got a throttle. You can feel it start to slip and dial the power down until there's traction again....or gun it and really spin the wheel(s). ;)
☣☠☢

dinges

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2012, 06:47:32 PM »
Work is finally progressing again on the trailer, with laminating in process:

And laminating on the outside finished:

There are 5-6 layers of 300 gram/m² cloth on it. The sides have only 4 layers of cloth. The bottom has one layer of 550 gram/m² followed by 3 layers of 300 gram/m². I hope I'm in the ballpark with that. Strength is not the issue I worry about, but rigidity is. I'll probably be adding a layer of 550 gram/m² on the sides and/or strips of wood to provide more stiffness without increasing weight too much. The bottom will be made in sandwich construction, with 20 mm of extruded styrofoam added and then glassed over.

In hindsight, I should have added a layer of extruded styrofoam at the top and bottom of my styrofoam plug and cutting it in shape with the hotwire knives along with the white expanded styrofoam. That way the extruded styrofoam would have automatically ended up as an integral part of the lid and bottom. Now I need to put in extra work to install foam in the roof and lid. Lesson learned....

The particular glass cloth I used ('keper' woven; not sure of the English word for it) is very pliable in both directions, which makes it ideal for the double curvatured surfaces. Impressive how well it shapes up. Only rarely need to cut it in to go round double bends. Much more pleasant to work with than standard 90 deg. cross-woven cloth.

All went relatively smooth, apart from one issue: outgassing of the styrofoam when the box became fully closed (completely covered in cloth and epoxy). As the temperature was rising in the shed, so did the temperature of the styrofoam core and the air in it - all 137 liter of it. A large (15 cm diameter) blister developed in the side. After ejaculating some colourful language that I won't repeat in this family-oriented forum, I grabbed a knife and made a cut in the blister. That let the overpressurized air out, after which the blister skin could be pushed back in place; it was in the gelling phase, so no permanent damage done. Looking at it now you can't see what happened. But it sure made my heart skip a few beats as I walked into the shed to get something and then noticing this large blister....

I've been working wet-on-wet, which with the current temperatures allows intervals of many hours. Which is nice, so I have time for other things too like sleep.... It's important to put the next layer on while the previous layer is still in the gel phase and before an amine blush develops.

The box is now postcuring inside, in a make-shift construction of a table with sheets hanging from the sides, and a 750W radiant electrical heater providing the heat. Needless to say it's now pretty warm in here....

After the epoxy has completely cured, the lid will be sawed off and the styrofoam core removed (I may leave a small layer of it in the lid, which will then be glassed over - we'll see if I can make that work, cutting the styrofoam with a still-to-be-made special hotwire knife). If it doesn't work, it'll be a piece of extruded styrofoam in both the lid and the bottom.

Then, when the shell has been scooped out, I may or may not add a layer of 550 gr/m² from the inside to the sides and other places that might benefit from it. And add wooden stringers in strategic places to make it a bit more rigid.

So far, it has been going relatively smoothly. Also got to know a few boat builders in my area who were very helpful in supplying epoxy and glass cloth at VERY competitive prices (their cost) and gave many tips. Spent a few hours in one of the shops, talking to a guy (who happened to originate from my town but now lived and worked elsewhere - but I recognized his accent :-) ) building *very* nice boats - vacuum bagging entire hulls in epoxy/polyurethane sandwich construction. I felt like a kid in a candy store, admiring everything....
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

REdiculous

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2012, 04:22:02 PM »
Very impressive! 8) It looks like it weighs as much as a fart...? ??? :o :P

Now I can't wait to get my trailer done. Dang. I gotta order a wheel and get gas for the welder still, but at least the frame pieces are cut and ready to weld together. :)
☣☠☢

dinges

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2012, 12:55:41 PM »
Work on the trailer is slowly progressing. Couldn't resist doing a quick mock-up of how it would look like behind the bike. Looks just about perfect to me:

It's sitting 15 cm off the ground, the height it will have when the wheels are installed.

The empty box weigs 6.5 kg. By the time it's finished the complete trailer will probably weigh about double that.

I was initially worried the trailer would end up too small, but that fear was unwarranted. That's the only problem I have with 3D CAD work on the PC.... it may look fine on a computer screen, but I find it hard to get an idea of how large it actually is 'in real life'. In this case though, I'm very happy with the result. The originally planned trailer (600 mm wide, 1m long, 20" wheels, 211 liter) would have ended up way too large!

So I proceeded to mark the lid and cut it off with a hacksaw blade.

Made a little hotwire tool to scoop out the styrofoam.

It took a lot longer and more work than I expected, but went otherwise smoothly.

The lid has been reinforced at the hinge mounting point and stiffened at the top.

Now working on sanding the inside of the box smooth (the downside of using expanded styrofoam.... epoxy resin creeps into all the tiny cavities in the styrofoam). After that I will be installing the wooden bridge between the wheel wells. Still quite a bit of work to do, but the part that had me worried the most, the GFRP box, seems to have ended up pretty satisfactorily.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2012, 11:38:52 PM »
Looking good!

Remove the pedals and install a petrol motor, and I might even use one!
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

dinges

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2012, 10:48:12 AM »
Quote from: Ghurd
Remove the pedals and install a petrol motor, and I might even use one!

Removing the pedals = removing all the fun....
Installing a petrol motor = regularly hearing 'click-click-click' of the fuel tank....

Work is slowly progressing on the trailer. At the moment doing a lot of sanding-filling-sanding-filling-more sanding. Then rinse and repeat.

So far have about 60 hours of work in it and expect another 30 hours before it is finished. Working at a leisurely pace, whenever I feel like it. Been working on it for exactly two months now (excluding the preceding 5-6 months of pondering the thing over in my mind), and I expect at least another 6 weeks before it's finished. But there's no hurry.

The only work done that's visibly noticeable is the buiding of the bridge:

The wheel well sidewall reinforcements are made of 18 mm plywood (mainly so I have enough 'flesh' for screws to hold), the rest is 12 mm plywood.

No pictures of the sanding, filling, sanding of the outside of the box.... Did get fed up with that a bit, but now that results are finally beginning to show it's easier to get motivated to go back out in the shed and make some more dust.

Am adding my name and ZIP-code in a few places in the trailer in such a way that it's impossible to remove without doing major damage to the construction - places that are covered by epoxy later, and CNC dot-peened on the wheel shaft flanges.

On another note, over the past month I'm more and more pondering the construction of a velomobile. What was initially a silly idea is beginning to take on a shape in my mind - a cross between the front of the Versatile and the rear of the Go-one 3 (but with a separate rear fairing/cargo compartment). Little technical details being worked out now, construction steps/sequence, educating myself on steering, anti-Ackerman, etc. It'd be a big project, but I no longer see any major hurdles  that I couldn't overcome.  Considering that work on the trailer has been going on for two months now (and it'll take at least another one to finish it), I expect a velomobile to be at the very least a year's worth of leisurely work, if not more.

What is should look like when done:

The Versatile, but I'd also incorporate some aspects/ideas of the Go-one 3. But that's far in the future. Still have got a trailer to finish....

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2012, 06:22:02 PM »
"On another note, over the past month I'm more and more pondering the construction of a velomobile."

If any one I know can make that happen......... it is you.

I will look out for the Dingemobile in the future scrivenings of the dinges.

Coming along nicely by the look.   (which is a Dinges trademark .....(unlike my junk) :-[.)

..............oztules
Flinders Island Australia

dinges

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2012, 02:28:54 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, Oztules.

(unlike my junk)

Sorry, I'm not falling for that ruse anymore ;D . For a while you had me wondering with the electric car, but since the professional PV panels and clean chainsaw-cut blades you've showed your true colours. Because if that's what you call 'junk', I don't want to know what your quality work looks like....