Author Topic: $200 budget need 60 amp charge controller  (Read 2916 times)

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
$200 budget need 60 amp charge controller
« on: March 10, 2012, 04:13:58 PM »
What is the best bang for the buck in my price range. The C60 is a proven design but what else is out there?

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: $200 budget need 60 amp charge controller
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 06:33:34 PM »
If I kill my budget and go for a TriStar MPPT-45 what are your thoughts on reliability?

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 05:10:41 PM »
I been using the sunsaver 15 for over 3 years now and not had even the smallest blip of an issue with it! I just ordered a Tristar60A MppT controller and geting it wired up now.

It is a wonderfully heavy piece of equipment which means good sized components and not cheaply made with excellent array of communications on it

So I'd say go with it! I'm going to be literaly starving for the next 4 months from the coast of it but well worth it imo!
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 01:08:29 AM »
I was leaning that way.

bob golding

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 01:45:19 PM »
i have a morningstar charge controller ts45. when it died on me for no apparent reason morningstar replaced it really quickly and i am in the UK. excellent company to deal with. ***** service in my opinion.
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 02:59:19 PM »
Not a bad price on the c-60 but I am really leaning towards MPPT. Going to end up with a100 foot run from the panels to the charge controller so running 4 panels in series at 100 volts will save a lot on wire.If I go to 8 panels I am going to ave to step up to the Outback Max 80 for my 12 volt system. I want to stick to 12 volt for this part of my overall system because it is going to be main power for my ham radio setup. When I decide to go fully off grid it will be 24 or 36 volt. Need to get rid of a few more electricity hogs in the house first like the water heater.