Author Topic: Steam Engine!!!  (Read 19733 times)

Mary B

Re: Steam Engine!!!
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2017, 02:11:07 PM »
Add a speed controller to the burner feed and the blower and you can control your boiler temps!

JW

• SuperHero Member
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2017, 05:09:06 PM »
Here's the PWM speed controller that I have got.

https://www.amazon.com/Yeeco-Controller-Variable-Regulator-Protection/dp/B00RXKNT5S/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1496617007&sr=8-9&keywords=12v+pwm+motor+controller

the burner needs as much as top speed so im using as much the blower can provide. Im and its working as fastest speed as possible.

I had doubt's that I could not achieve the performance as the shop air. So the blower is now catching up to the performance. 

eigenmorph

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2017, 04:08:03 AM »
Would it be out of order to suggest that your blower motor may be maxxed out because the impeller load is insufficient. Perhaps fitting a pair of impellers in parallel will provide improved airflow from the same motor at lower rpm. If the impeller is stalling at the high rpm, then putting a pair in series might be an alternative.

Something I came across recently in an old Model Engineer magazine (No 3209 10 Jan 1962) was a Brayton engine from the late 1800s. One version used steam injection along with the combustion fuel. The engine was basically an early supercharged 2 stroke. It may not look much through modern eyes, but Mr Brayton had a good idea.

All the best

Jim Cahill   

JW

• SuperHero Member
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2017, 07:49:59 PM »
If the impeller is stalling at the high rpm, then putting a pair in series might be an alternative.

Yes this is a valid point.

With the speed control module I have found that lowering the impeller speed the air grabs better.

I have a bench test 5 stage turbine to max airflow and this solves impeller speed stall problem, and defines ideal air flow for prototypes.

eigenmorph

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2017, 03:51:31 AM »
You refer to a 5 stage turbine.

There may be a difference of terminology between the US and UK. To us, a "Turbine" operates on a favourable pressure gradient, whereas an "Impeller" or "Compressor" operates against an adverse pressure gradient. For that reason airflow breaks down on the latter much sooner than on a turbine. Think of axial flow gas turbines. You will know that they have many more compressor stages than turbine stages. The reason is the pressure gradients.

george65

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2017, 07:53:07 AM »

Is this blower to fan up a Corn fired burner?
If so, why not use something with a much higher energy density and easier to control like oil? You could have any output you wanted and an extremely high turndown ratio as well.

I have done 200Kw burners that are pretty compact and could produce that output from 12V.

eigenmorph

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2017, 07:05:29 AM »
Perhaps JW is looking at situations where corn is available. In this locality of Ireland the farmer can expect about 40 Euro per ton for good grain. He might get a few Euros for the straw. Input costs are likely to be 60%   of that without considering the farmer's time or weather risks. Irrespective of its energy density, burning the crop directly can make more sense, provided the energy can be utilised.

I have to say that my preference is to produce Alcohol from the crop and burn the spent mash. The brewing and distillation processes are an excellent application for low grade heat and the product can be stored or sold. Enquiries I made with the Revenue Commissioners some years ago were not at all discouraging.

JW

• SuperHero Member
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2017, 02:16:18 PM »
Hi All,

The reason I burn kernel corn is because its really cheep, also it burns clean. I figured this out the first time I burnt kerosene its REALY expensive.

I received the 2stage turbine today man that thing moves some air. Ive got to modify it so that I can change the speed of the blower. This is a blower that you would use the spray a HVLP painting. Although is is powered by 120vac It will set a benchmark that I will have to duplicate using 12vdc.  Ive completely gotten away from shop air (using piston air pump). 

JW

• SuperHero Member
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2017, 06:04:39 PM »
I have had sometime to digest all this.

If the impeller is stalling at the high rpm

Well I tried the multistage turbine for HVLP paint spraying and Im getting better results with a RoadPro RPSC-807 10" 12V Super Wet/Dry Vacuum with 1 Gallon Canister.

what I did was reverse the motor plate and turned it into a blower. I wonder about optimizing the impeller to prevent stall. I think Im doing good with what I have, but I would love to use a custom impeller that would press on a 1/8th shaft. If anyone does 3D printing let me know, I will make a video of the performance im getting with the stock impeller. And can provide the basic impeller im using.

JW

• SuperHero Member
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2017, 05:24:25 PM »
Have had several evolutions with my blowers, and am working on a final design will post some pictures soon  :)

eigenmorph

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2017, 07:12:03 AM »
Good to hear you've been making progress. Looking forward to seeing some pictures.
All the best.
Jim.

DamonHD edit: Jim: we generally have a no links (esp commercial) until ~50 posts.  Yours is fine on the commercial front, but could we keep it in the sig to avoid cluttering posts with unrelated links?  Ta.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 11:08:16 AM by DamonHD »

JW

• SuperHero Member
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2017, 03:55:25 PM »
Ive been having some difficulty getting the parts "just right" before final assembly. The picture with the fire is not at a blue flame and is common during start up.