Author Topic: Where to buy small CVT for VAWT project?  (Read 2488 times)

runningincircles

Where to buy small CVT for VAWT project?
« on: June 30, 2012, 12:29:59 PM »
Hello, I'm new to the site.

I'm working with a couple of friends on a project. We're trying to hook up a VAWT with a continuously variable transmission so that the output shaft going to the generator runs at a constant speed; the goal is to try and regulate the frequency and voltage by doing this.

Does anyone know where to get a small CVT? I've looked around a bit at snowmobile/ATV CVT, but they seem too large and a bit pricey. I know that Nuvinci makes some bicycles with CVT, and I found some on ebay. Does anyone know if these are any good?

Thanks in advance! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: Where to buy small CVT for VAWT project?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 10:33:45 AM »
Welcome the to asylum :-)

Another place would be the 49cc seller/repair shops. They may have some older ones around, nowadays people are getting them swapped out for newer light and matching them to the 49cc motor to be able to get up to street speeds (about 35mph) , most don't know they can merely change out the weights to do the same thing. These will be hardy enough and you can "lock-in" the speed by varying the weights.
They ARE sealed too.
Best of luck
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Badger

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 02:16:21 PM »
I would also recommend looking at older mopeds.  I might be getting rid of one from an '86 Honda 80cc.  I'm planning on using the engine to direct drive a generator, so if I don't use the transmission, it might be up for grabs.  Problem is, it could be a couple months before I know for sure. 

runningincircles

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 10:42:48 AM »
Okay, thanks!

hydrosun

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 02:12:01 PM »
For what it's worth I'm using the Nuvinci CVT on my 33cc bicycle assist from Staton-inc.com. I've put over 5000 miles on it without ant problems.  But I have no idea how mrque you vawt will produce and how many hours this cvt would last in your application.
Chris

runningincircles

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 08:43:10 PM »
hydrosun, would you mind telling me how the CVT on your bike is controlled? Is it the same mechanism as a normal bicycle with the "gearshift" near the hand connected to the CVT via a wire?