Author Topic: Missouri Wind And Solor wind generators  (Read 5593 times)

getterdone

• living off grid
Missouri Wind And Solor wind generators
« on: June 21, 2012, 12:33:39 PM »
i bought a 1600watt wind generator from these guys as a replacement of my 10'hugh piggot design.[big disapointment]
it was a 1600watt 24v version. i have never seen more than 7amps out of it in a 30plus mile an hr wind.
it would take 4 of these so called 1600watt units to equal my 1000watt home made one.
they do sell solor pannels that are reasonable priced. though.

i talked to dan and the waiting list was to long for the insurance company. i was going to just buy another 10'er from forcefield.

should have put the insurance company off in order to get a real machine.

live and learn   and  dont be in a hurry!!

madlabs

Re: Missouri Wind And Solor wind generators
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 03:38:54 PM »
I tried a set of their Mach 5 blades. From my observations they don't end up making as much power as my DIY three blade set. The Mach 5's spin up in lower winds than my DIY blades but seem to stall as they get the RPMs up enough to start charging. My peak wattage so far with the Mach 5's is 2/3 of the peak power I've pulled with my blades. Which is a whopping 100 watts for the Mach 5's and 150 for mine. :) Help, help! I need a dump load QUICK! :0

Jonathan

getterdone

• living off grid
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 05:33:33 PM »
i have about 1600amp hours to fill. i dont need to use a dump load. my batteries are the dump load.

madlabs

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 06:42:51 PM »
Getter,

I was making a joke about the puny size of my windmill. I have a 1200 aH bank and so my mill could put out it's max even if the batteries were at full charge and not harm the bank.

Maybe I should have skipped the joke and just said I'm not impressed with the blades.

Jonathan

Jason Wilkinson

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 08:00:01 AM »

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 10:04:13 AM »
missourie wind is synonymous with scam, hell I'm not even into wind (We get non here) and I know that!
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 02:17:26 PM »
http://www.ripoffreport.com/builders-contractors/missouri-wind-and-so/missouri-wind-and-solar-mw-s-d-6ef37.htm

If someone has a report here there is probably something wrong. Note the electrician in New York reporting his 300 watt AirX does better than a "1600 watt" MWS mill on the same tower.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 11:39:53 AM »
frankly their crap is a joke just look at their product most looks like a fan off an engine glued to a truck alt. if people had bothered to look at the real turbines they'd quickly see how bad they are.

Sad they keep geting away with it.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 11:16:47 PM »
The reason they "get away with it" is because those little car alternator wind turbines are incredibly popular with hobbyists.  Hobbyists don't necessarily need a "real" wind turbine - they just want one that goes around and puts out a few amps now and then.

There has been some off-gridders I know who have bought them that are happy with them.  And others that complain that they don't produce any power.  I think the difference is that the ones that are happy with them have decent wind sites and have them on a tower that is in a decent location.  Most of these little things are put on a piece of pipe on the end of the house, or sometimes on the roof.  They aren't going to produce anything there, just like any other wind turbine won't.  But put it on a 90 foot tower, like I know one guy that has one has, and the turbine actually works.
--
Chris

John Bouchard

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 06:50:28 PM »
Wow.  About 6-7 years later and the  mws (master wizards at scam) still making money from folks like me.  I bought two  1600w  with G5 Raptor blades and both a huge disappointment.  I'm lucky to get any  real power to battery bank for charging unless in a 40-50 mph gale  and even then maximum power  each was just over 300 watts for about 10 seconds depending on wind gusts.    They also claim to use "more copper"  in their windings,  huh,  upon inspection its not copper at all but aluminium.  I get pissed  everyday looking out my window especially watching them spinning and No Power!

Good time to drink some brew.. ÃŽ
Cheers
John

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 07:49:37 PM »
Hi John,

We were having a discussion recently about this. Back tens years ago ScraigWind.com was who pulled up on google. Today if you google wind turbine, its populated with commercial small wind power turbines.

All I can say is, if you want to rebuild it, maybe use the same blades or hub whatever. We can answer as best as possible.

there are some good books on making your own turbine and most the authors visit here.

John Bouchard

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 10:16:22 PM »
Thanks JW.  Got a couple books on order.

I did recently get in contact with a few folks you probably know here and in good hands.  Thank you all for the work your doing through these informational sites to educate the general public during these times of relentless false advertisement claims!

With best regards.
John Bouchard
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 11:36:51 PM by John Bouchard »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 10:34:13 PM »
You're welcome to let us know how it goes - good, bad or ugly!

We can help with photos, too, if you want. 
Posting pictures as a noob can be... tricky... on this site.  ;)
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 10:52:34 PM »
Ya a couple years ago there was data cap, since then we have increased the file size allowed. then there is remotely hosted which works well to.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com

John Bouchard

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 10:04:16 AM »
Thank you JW for the link.  I will at some point work on a few pics for examples.
On behalf of all us newbs we give thanks  all for any help!

John Bouchard

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2018, 06:58:58 PM »
Few pics of my almost new mws wind alternator. Note the heat stress on windings that are aluminium copper clad following one day of high winds. Hope images come out.11571-011572-111573-2

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2018, 08:44:07 PM »
Well the lower coil looks darker than the upper coil in your 2nd photo, so I think I see what you're saying.

Does the genny turn freely or does it "cog" from magnet to magnet?

Are the blades stiff, or do you feel like by pressing on one you could bend it enough to contact the tower?

Did you assemble the MWS turbine yourself?

I'm wondering if there aren't any tweaks that might pull a few more watts out of this thing. 
A re-wind with some good copper is guaranteed, but maybe with a few more questions and ideas we could find some more things to improve it even more.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

John Bouchard

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2018, 09:27:48 PM »
Hello SparWeb.

Yes  the lower windings do show evidence of carbon darkening due to  excessive heat/ resistance in the aluminum clad  windings?  The blades are ridged with little flex and it spins/turns very good with very little cogging.  I did install this and a second identical one that I also purchased from mws as I thought the first was defective.  Both turbines exhibit identical performance and each showing signs of overheating.  The 110' of 6g  3 phase leads, 90amp rectifier are set as a battery dump load.   Neither motor produces hardly any power for its intended purpose.  I  am posting this detailed review in hopes to help anyone considering on buying one.

Cheers

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2018, 08:48:29 PM »
Are you interested in attempting to re-build one to see if you can get better performance?
Since you have a second, it makes a head-to-head competition possible!
Ain't promising nuthin', but for some, the fun is in the tryin'

The blades have "ridges"??  What do they look like?
www.sparweb.ca

John Bouchard

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2018, 09:44:28 AM »
Perhaps  rewinding to produce power in about 20mph winds to charge even  a small 12v battery?    My limited experience and understanding  with these things they require extreme  high winds before any measurable  power output, unrealistic  in most renewable energy applications that I can think of considering overall costs and other available options. I do have a Real wind turbine on order to replace these otherwise expensive boat anchors.

The blades are made of stiff type of common plastic material and seem suitable for their application.  (I will later provide a photo) They readily spin quite well  configured the way they are.

John Bouchard

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2018, 02:06:06 PM »
These are the 33 inch each raptor 5 blade sitting in the shed.  I also have the raptor 3 blade that's much faster and cost less.  The very knowledgeable technical sales folks at mws recommended the 5 blade.   I assume because of a higher sale commission caring less how well it works...

Cheers!

11575-011576-111577-2
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 02:25:10 PM by John Bouchard »

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2018, 03:23:23 PM »
remove 2 blades form that 5 blade, keep as spares... use it as a 3.

John Bouchard

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2018, 02:56:50 PM »
Thanks for the idea Mary but at this point I'm scraping them.  I wonder if they can still be used for old  car or truck alternators by fabricating a pulley to the shaft,  anybody know?   I  don't know what to do with them :-\

Cheers
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 03:02:25 PM by John Bouchard »

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2018, 04:26:13 PM »
You could use pulleys to speed things, will need more starting torque at that point... and losses rise but it may net you more output.

John Bouchard

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2019, 12:25:28 AM »
Here are a few pics of my new turbine under construction.  I'm posting here as a comparison between a mws car alternator turbine and a real wind machine.   This machine is being built for me.  !  Cheers oops mess up on posting pics  11606-011607-1

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2019, 08:53:39 PM »
Hey, looking good!  Haven't seen an axial build for a while.
www.sparweb.ca

John Bouchard

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2019, 06:14:42 AM »
Missouri Wind  pmg claims they got more copper .  This machine has about 16lbs of Real copper!  The hand carved blades also being made are 6.5 each.

I will post more pics on the progress as they come.  I'm very Happy now.  Cheers