Author Topic: What types of copper wire for coils is best?  (Read 11269 times)

bioevolve

What types of copper wire for coils is best?
« on: July 07, 2012, 04:41:13 PM »
Hello, 5 Newb questions here. I've searched the site and can't find it.
Sorry if this is old, still learning. TIA!  :D

1. Which type of copper wire is best for coils?
2. Stranded or solid?
3. Does it have to be enamel coated?
4. Can I use CAT5 network strands with the jackets or without on them? Why and why not??
5. Is there other types of metal wire to use instead of copper?

Watt

Re: What types of copper wire for coils is best?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 05:48:38 PM »
Hello and welcome

Hello, 5 Newb questions here. I've searched the site and can't find it.
Sorry if this is old, still learning. TIA!  :D

1. Which type of copper wire is best for coils?    Sorry, I don't understand the question.
2. Stranded or solid?    Either, if coated with a high enough temperature rating.
3. Does it have to be enamel coated?    Needs to be electrically insulated from the next wrap.
4. Can I use CAT5 network strands with the jackets or without on them? Why and why not??     Sure, if number 3 applies and you have enough room for wraps.  More wraps more voltage.  Insulation takes up valuable copper space.
5. Is there other types of metal wire to use instead of copper?  Aluminum.  Each type of metal yields different voltages.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 07:59:10 PM by Watt »

bioevolve

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 06:20:58 PM »
1. Which type of copper wire is best for coils?    Sorry, I don't understand the question.

Sorry, better grades/purity of copper wires? Hope that helps.  ;)

Watt

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 08:00:03 PM »

Sorry, better grades/purity of copper wires? Hope that helps.  ;)

Use what you can get.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 09:13:21 PM »
Pure solid copper wire. Stranded is not a good choice for a lot of reasons.

http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info.php?products_id=180

High temp wire, double poly coated, coiled by the maker for rewinding. Not cheap, but if 14 ga happens to be the size you need, this is premium stuff.

If you are just experimenting prior to a formal build, then cheap varnish coated wire would do.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AWG-14-Copper-Magnet-Wire-H200C-High-Temp-/230768246977
almost 800 feet on this coil.

Watt

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
What are the reasons for solid vs. stranded?

What makes the baewire cheap experimental only wire?

Pure solid copper wire. Stranded is not a good choice for a lot of reasons.

http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info.php?products_id=180

High temp wire, double poly coated, coiled by the maker for rewinding. Not cheap, but if 14 ga happens to be the size you need, this is premium stuff.

If you are just experimenting prior to a formal build, then cheap varnish coated wire would do.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AWG-14-Copper-Magnet-Wire-H200C-High-Temp-/230768246977
almost 800 feet on this coil.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 09:44:12 PM »
Winding coils is an art. You will make mistakes. Save the good stuff for when you know you've got it right.

Stranded wire has a larger cross-section, so you will need a larger coil. Stranded wire is for applications where the wire has to flex some (audio coils usually). Your mill coils should not need to flex, and solid wire is cheaper.

There is no "cheap" copper anymore, really. Radio Shack sells 'reclaimed' stranded wire, and their solid magnet wire may be reclaimed, too.

Since copper is expensive, it pays to buy the best coated high-temp wire you can afford and not buy it on a spool that was carelessly wound. I don't even see aluminum magnet wire sold to individuals, although it does have common industrial uses. Getting the connections oxide-free and crimped properly is hard to do. I don't like using aluminum wire except for high voltage transmission apps where weight is an issue.

You could use plastic coated phone/ethernet wire for practice winding. But it will not hold up under load because the vinyl insulation is not high temp.

Watt

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 10:32:21 PM »
Just making sure this wasn't a matter of " don't do it ".  The thread topic is what is best but the questions relate to can I use ......  and I took as get by with.

Winding coils is an art. You will make mistakes. Save the good stuff for when you know you've got it right.

Stranded wire has a larger cross-section, so you will need a larger coil. Stranded wire is for applications where the wire has to flex some (audio coils usually). Your mill coils should not need to flex, and solid wire is cheaper.

There is no "cheap" copper anymore, really. Radio Shack sells 'reclaimed' stranded wire, and their solid magnet wire may be reclaimed, too.

Since copper is expensive, it pays to buy the best coated high-temp wire you can afford and not buy it on a spool that was carelessly wound. I don't even see aluminum magnet wire sold to individuals, although it does have common industrial uses. Getting the connections oxide-free and crimped properly is hard to do. I don't like using aluminum wire except for high voltage transmission apps where weight is an issue.

You could use plastic coated phone/ethernet wire for practice winding. But it will not hold up under load because the vinyl insulation is not high temp.