Author Topic: we need a new sticky!  (Read 19850 times)

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
we need a new sticky!
« on: July 31, 2012, 11:53:30 PM »
hello- 

we seem to be attracting many newbies all the time.  many ask what type of motor to buy.  we advise as best we can, and tell them to bench test their motor...

we need a sticky on how to bench test a motor!!  IE:  how to measure amps INTO A BATTERY, how to place dc loads on the bank if voltage gets too high, how to measure voltage, how to hot wire a doc wattson with a 100A shunt.

i think a good solid sticky could eliminate a lot of questions!  i could write it, or if someone else wants to write it that's fine also.

just wanted to throw it out there, as i know i had questions about the subject when i was benching my motor. 

adam

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: we need a new sticky!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 04:34:03 AM »
If there's no appropriate thread/FAQ already then start one and PM me and I'll pin it unless anyone objects.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 08:42:49 PM »
hello- 

we seem to be attracting many newbies all the time.  many ask what type of motor to buy.  we advise as best we can, and tell them to bench test their motor...

we need a sticky on how to bench test a motor!!  IE:  how to measure amps INTO A BATTERY, how to place dc loads on the bank if voltage gets too high, how to measure voltage, how to hot wire a doc wattson with a 100A shunt.

i think a good solid sticky could eliminate a lot of questions!  i could write it, or if someone else wants to write it that's fine also.

just wanted to throw it out there, as i know i had questions about the subject when i was benching my motor. 

adam

AMEN!!!!
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 09:04:04 PM »
I just made it possible for hero members up, to be able to post in the FAQ's section.(i think)

You guys are going to have to give me feedback on permissions regarding posting to this section. Im pretty sure newbies cant post to this section, only hero up...

Im also unsure if a newbie logged in can see the section.

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,146955.msg1010988/topicseen.html#msg1010988

GaryFrank

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 08:56:05 AM »
Nope...cant see it.

I'm a new newbie and have been reading like mad before I start asking dumb questions ....

Big questions like which is the best Axial or Radial flux (http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/5171/seely.html)

This is where it gets confusing.... I read the post and thought finally I am getting to read what I want too hear
(I repaired a 1kW Radial Flux VAWT for a customer and think that it is the best design that I have seen),
only to come across a "white paper" from Alstrom (White-paper review Axial Flux Technology for Motors & Generators) which claims that Axial flux is 168% more efficient than Radial flux.
Then I came across a site Coraxial Hybrid Induction brochure by Phemax Technologies, Inc which created much more confusion........

So, yes, we do need a new newbie sticky to stop us from asking dumb questions......

GaryFrank

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 09:38:42 AM »
Okay, so I 've just read the "Do's and Don'ts for Newbies".......

Thats what i'm talking about when I said "dumb questions".....maybe us new newbies need to sit in the Do's and Dont's corner for a week before we can start posting...... 

gww

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 10:13:40 AM »
What I found about myself and is the draw to a forum such as this is,  I am rather selfish and many times busy and trying to juggle my hobbies with my daily responcibilities.  I apretiate the past post but when I ask a question I am more interested in my spicific needs at the time.  I frequent about four such forums and read past post for general knowlage but the real draw is I can ask my spicific question and because it has been covered numorous times in the past, forum members can find the other post that pertain to my question and post links or just answer with very little effort.  Long term members can cut out the noise and show/tell the important imformation that the question asker needs.  It may be redundant for them but it is invaluble to the new guy.
gww