Author Topic: cooling water  (Read 3674 times)

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
cooling water
« on: September 17, 2012, 03:04:46 AM »
I am trying to cool my pantry down during the summer months. My house is L shaped and I cleared a bunch of brush and started cutting trees for my solar system. My pantry now get direct sunlight on the outside walls for about 2 hrs. The temp now goes up to around 56-58 degrees, it used to get no more than 44-48 degrees even when the temp got into the 90's . I can run water from my creek and gravity flow it to the side of teh house. I have been thinking that I could run water down the side of my pantry outside wall into the drain pipe below that empties back into the creek. Just sheet it with tin and run a pipe with holes drilled into the pipe to let it flow down the walls. I am installing a water drain pipe clear around my house at the footings so that would be the return. I have plenty of water so it would not use any electricity. It would be all gravity flow. I was looking for the the cooling temp transfer going into the pantry. Just an idea.
MntMnROY 13

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
Re: cooling water
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 05:05:06 AM »
13; so far as I know under no circumstances can you divert water from any naturally flowing body use it as an exchange medium then return it back to the flow without having to pass it through a filter first.
This may not be true in all areas
 Just as a precaution if you plan to carry through with this you should draw up a set of plans explaining how the water is to be used and through what or over what it will be expected to flow how it will be returned ETC.
 one thing is for sure tin or galvanized or painted surfaces will never get past the County environmental agent.
 I am pretty sure it will have to be a sealed heat ex-changer probably food grade stainless steel at that and at no time can the water be exposed to air once it leaves the flow until its return or to the filtration  after filtering it will have to be sealed until it is returned to flow

I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 10:50:21 AM »
Hi,
Seems like thermally that scheme would work.  You would get cooling directly from the water, and from evaporation of the water.  It might take very little water.

But, I wonder if a shading scheme would not achieve the same thing and be less maintenance prone? 
For example, my neighbors house: http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Cooling/HJTrellis/Trellis.htm
and http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Cooling/passive_cooling.htm#Shading

Gary

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 02:36:26 AM »
Gary
Thanks for the information. I went thru and looked at alot of the different things and A crawling vine might do the trick. I still like the idea of using water. I'll be finishing the back side of the house next year and should have it figured out what will work the best.
MntMnROY 13

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 09:50:32 AM »
what is the average humidity in your area?
the lower the humidity the better your evaporative scheme will work, however once the humidity gets up to a certain point the evap begins to decline rapidly to the point that there will be very little cooling.

my vote is +1 for a fast growing shrub or vine/trellis, make it something that produces something edible and you kill two birds with one stone.

once established, they mist the vine/bush with water and it should be very cool on the shady side in a dry climate.

as for the water diversion, i would simply take the water, use it and then recycle it back via a small pump. that way there is no concern regarding dumping it back into the creek.

bob g
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 09:22:12 AM »
Tangent.
If it is gravity flow, maybe an inverse heater core type thing?
I saw an AL thing (maybe a transmission cooler?) made with 5/8" AL tube and fins, maybe 24x16x3~4"?
The design had no place to trap an air bubble.  Probably wouldn't get a whole lot of gravity flow, but something like that up high with a muffin fan would be a small 24/7 A/C unit.

After water left the thing, then it could go outside and cool the wall.

Just throwing it out there.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller