Author Topic: new here and some answers/opinions neededH  (Read 1828 times)

sunnypoint

new here and some answers/opinions neededH
« on: February 09, 2013, 05:17:26 PM »
Hi to all,
55 y.o. independent owner operator here, do all my own mechanic work and am certified as journeyman industrial mechanic as well as ex machinist.. yea I know why be a trucker!!! Anyway, I recently purchased a Rigmaster with Perkins 2 cyl diesel. Unit originally had heat and air with a 6kw generator. When I purchased what was left the control unit etc was gone as well as the genny. I've stripped the A/C compressor and all the extra hoses and garbage related to the oem heat/air. My idea is to go with the most reliable generator I can get and go with either a window unit type heat pump or a split type system on the small scale. Need electricity for tv, vcr, computer and the heat/cool system as well as 1500 watts for block heater on the truck in really cold weather(hopefully not often). This will about HAVE to be a belt drive unit unless someone on here has a viable alternative. Not crazy about the idea of a capacitor type regulator but from what I've read it seems to be the most suitable. Soooo,,, anyone have any recommedations as to type, brand, size genset to go with????  Wife and I are interested in maybe doing some type air, solar type stuff as we get the money as well but we'll deal with that later. Got a lot of work and figuring to do on this thing to make it work but I figure you folks on here have done enough trial/error work to maybe prevent me from repeating mistakes already done. Biggest problem so far is finding info on the original stuff... I've already purchased a Monicon GTR116 controller and relay board ARB-13 from Georgia Generator just trying to figure out the best way to go on the Gen itself... Dependability is key... By the way the Perkins is a type HB11  8.2 KW(11hp)@2800 rpm already know I'm gonna have to do some figuring on the pulley size for the gen as well and will probly gonna be asking for help on that as well. Also wondering whether to go with  a 3600 rpm set or 1800 rpm set. Thanks guys and I have to say this is a really neat website and I've read enough to see there is some real knowledge/experience on here.
Thanks again.
Brad

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: new here and some answers/opinions neededH
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 03:43:55 PM »
For just a generator head you can't beat Northern Tool. High quality and reliable.